• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Question About Baking a Scratch Cake

In summary, the cake was too thick and the center didn't cook. The recipe could be improved by folding it instead of mixing less.
esavvymom
Staff member
My kids and I have been reading "Tall Tales" this week, and one of our stories was "The Whopper Cake". In the back of the book was a recipe for our own version of "The Whopper Cake", and they wanted to make it. And I wanted to talk about fractions and other REAL life applications of math/science- haha.

Anyway- so it was a really yummy scratch Chocolate cake. Problem was it was SO THICK in my 9"x13" PC metal baking pan, that the center of the cake took forever to cook. It was supposed to cook about 30 minutes. I think I had to add about 15-17 minutes on top of that to get it to cook in the center. Result: the outside pieces are drier and the VERY edges were too tough to eat. The cake itself tasted quite good for a scratch cake, but I'm wondering what we could do differently.

I used a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. The batter was very thick and fluffy (almost airy)...maybe I overmixed it?

Thoughts?

Bobbi scratch cakes are tricky. Remember baking is a science not cooking. The measurements must be exact, the pans the right size and the ingredients - exact in composition and measurement. If the recipe asked for cake flour and you used regular, problem. If the recipe asked that it be sifted, make sure it says before or after measuring. The volume of the flour will change with that sifting. If nothing mentioned, do it before then measure. As for being over mixed, most cake recipe tell you exactly how long it needs to be mixed as well as the speed. If there is no indication of this, only mix until the ingredients are just moistened. in fact, pull it off the mixer just at the point of no longer showing flour and mix it a couple of times by hand reaching deep into the bowl to make sure all the ingredients at the bottom are also incorporated. Hope that helps.

If it was a recipe at the back of a kids book, it's quite possible that it just wasn't a very good recipe. I like to read culinary mysteries, and often, the recipes written in the books aren't that great. They haven't been tested as vigorously as they would be if they were part of a cookbook...and I wonder if some of them have been tested at all!

Good point about it being a bad recipe, Becky. I've run into a few of those, even in a Martha Stewart cookbook! Possibly a misprint even if the recipe was tested.

John, I thought cakes couldn't be mixed too long, but brownies could? Just asking, since most brownie mix boxes say to mix 50 strokes and not overmix, but cake mixes do not. I'm asking to learn something!

I agree totally with John. Esp. focusing on the flour. It's probably the gluten.
Try it again and mix it less or better yet just fold it.

What ingredients do I need to make a scratch cake?

To make a scratch cake, you will need flour, sugar, butter, eggs, milk, baking powder, and vanilla extract. You can also add other ingredients like cocoa powder, chocolate chips, or fruit for added flavor.

Do I need any special equipment to bake a scratch cake?

You will need basic baking equipment such as mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons, a whisk or mixer, and a cake pan. It is also helpful to have a spatula for scraping the batter into the pan.

How do I properly measure the ingredients for a scratch cake?

To accurately measure ingredients for a scratch cake, use measuring cups for dry ingredients and measuring spoons for smaller amounts. Be sure to level off the top of the cup or spoon with a flat edge for precise measurements.

What is the best way to mix the batter for a scratch cake?

The best way to mix the batter for a scratch cake is to start by creaming the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Then, alternate adding the dry ingredients and wet ingredients in small batches, mixing until just combined.

How do I know when a scratch cake is done baking?

You can check if a scratch cake is done baking by inserting a toothpick or cake tester into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. You can also gently press the top of the cake, and if it springs back, it is ready to be removed from the oven.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
AnnieBee
  • ChefPaulaB