• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Profiteroles: Heavy Cream Vs Cool Whip

In summary, this conversation is about different options for filling profiteroles, a French pastry dessert. The original recipe calls for a heavy cream filling, but some people prefer using Cool Whip as a substitute due to lactose intolerance. The taste difference between the two fillings is discussed, with some preferring the real cream and others enjoying the lighter taste of Cool Whip. Some also suggest adding raspberry jam or chocolate pudding to the filling for added flavor. Ultimately, it is decided that a mix of both fillings will be used for a New Year's Eve party. The recipe for the profiteroles is also shared.
kam
Staff member
I have a question for anyone who has tried both versions of the filling for the Profiteroles.

I have always used the Heavy Cream alternate filling for the Profiteroles.

My mom is lactose intolerant so I figured the profiteroles with the Cool whip based filling would be perfect for dessert on Christmas (she can have cool whip).

Is there a noticeable taste difference between the 2 fillings?

Thanks!

I think there is - the cool whip ones are lighter tasting. I love the real whipped cream ones!

Most people who aren't tasting them side by side won't know the difference though.

Yes, the Cool Whip ones are sweeter. I prefer the real cream ones.

ChefBeckyD said:
Most people who aren't tasting them side by side won't know the difference though.

I would! But I'm a snob when it comes to cool whip, can't stand the oily crap:eek:

I take the cool whip and add about 1 T. of raspberry jam (I think the original recipe called for that too as an alternate) and it is yummy! I have also filled them with chocolate pudding. My girlfriend filled them with vanilla pudding and then melted the raspberry jam and drizzled it over them like a sauce. Yummy

rennea said:
I would! But I'm a snob when it comes to cool whip, can't stand the oily crap:eek:

You go right ahead and be a cream snob, Rennea! I'm right there with you!:D

ChefBeckyD said:
You go right ahead and be a cream snob, Rennea! I'm right there with you!:D

I HATE cool Whip! It leaves a film on the inside of my mouth! I cant imagine what it dose to my insides... :yuck:

I, too, prefer the real whipped cream. But if your mom has lactose issues, the Cool Whip will be an acceptable substitute.Of course, I always put so much caramel sauce and hot fudge on my Profiteroles that you practically can't taste the cream filling anyway. ;)

chefann said:
I, too, prefer the real whipped cream. But if your mom has lactose issues, the Cool Whip will be an acceptable substitute.

Of course, I always put so much caramel sauce and hot fudge on my Profiteroles that you practically can't taste the cream filling anyway. ;)

DH loves caramel sauce on his! I do the cool whip version as that is what's easiest for me. I think I would like to try the real whipped cream.

I've never made these before, but a friend of mine just did recently. The cream was raspberry flavored too, so it was really good. If it was cool whip, I didn't realize.

OK, all the responses helped me with my decision.

Like I said, I have only made them with the Heavy Cream.

I am planning on serving these at my New Year's Eve Party too, so on Christmas Eve I was going to make a double batch, hold a few out for Christmas dessert and freeze the rest for New Year's Eve.

BUT, since my mom has the lactose issue, I was going to make them all with the Cool Whip - but was concerned about the taste!

You all have confirmed what I thought - I really should continue to make these as I always have - with the Heavy Cream.

So, now I am going to make a half a batch of the Cool Whip filling for the ones for my mom and I'll make the Heavy Cream filling for the rest of the puffs.

THANKS!

I love cool whip! I live with 3 lactose intolerant people, and we love sweets... its a great alternative.

Where can I find the recipe for this anyway? I couldn't find it in the files here or in the recipe files on CC.

Profiterole Puffs
-----------------

Ingredients:

Puffs
3/4 cup (175 mL) water

1/4 cup (50 mL) butter or margarine

1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt

3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour

3 eggs, lightly beaten

Filling and Topping
3 log (3.5-4 oz/105-125 g) frozen whipped topping, thawed

1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar

1/2 tsp (2 mL) Double-Strength Vanilla

2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped pistachios or almonds

1/4 cup (50 mL) prepared chocolate frosting, melted

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). For puffs, in (1.5-qt./1.5 L) Saucepan, combine water, butter and salt; bring to a boil over high heat. Add flour all at once. Using Classic Scraper, stir mixture vigorously about 1 minute or until mixture leaves sides of pan and forms into a ball. Remove from heat; place dough into Classic Batter Bowl. Add eggs and whisk until smooth and very thick using Stainless Whisk.

2. Spray Deluxe Mini-Muffin Pan with oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Using Small Scoop, scoop batter into cups. Bake 22-25 minutes or until deep golden brown; remove from oven. Pierce side of each puff using Quikut Paring Knife to release steam. Remove puffs from pan to Stackable Cooling Rack; cool completely.

3. For filling, combine whipped topping, icing sugar and vanilla; mix gently using Small Mix 'N Scraper(R). Attach bismarck tip to Easy Accent(R) Decorator; fill with filling and pipe into center of each puff. For topping, microwave frosting in Prep Bowl on HIGH 5-10 seconds or until melted; drizzle over puffs. Sprinkle with pistachios.

Yield: 24 puffs

Per serving: (1 puff): Calories 90, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 30 mg, Carbohydrate 10 g, Protein 1 g, Sodium 55 mg, Fiber 0 g

Cook's Tip: If desired, 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla can be substituted for the Double Strength Vanilla.

Profiteroles can be prepared well in advance. Place finished profiteroles on the Chillzanne(R) Rectangle Server and freeze until ready to serve. Thaw for 15 minutes before serving.

babywings76 said:
Where can I find the recipe for this anyway? I couldn't find it in the files here or in the recipe files on CC.

It's in the Season's Best section behind CC. The Italian Theme Show info in teh archives, too.

kcjodih said:
Profiterole Puffs
-----------------
1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar

Also known as powdered sugar. Ü

I love these! I usually make them with the heavy cream and have taken them to my shows too. The guests think they're great and they are so easy, good recipe to showcase of PC being "easy" Good luck and I'm sure they'll be great! Happy Holidays Everyone :)

What are profiteroles?

Profiteroles are a type of French pastry made from choux dough, which is a light and airy dough typically used for making cream puffs. They are filled with a variety of sweet or savory fillings and are often served as a dessert.

What is the difference between heavy cream and Cool Whip?

Heavy cream is a natural dairy product made from the high-fat layer that rises to the top of fresh milk. It has a rich, creamy texture and a high fat content, making it perfect for making whipped cream. On the other hand, Cool Whip is a non-dairy, whipped topping made from vegetable oil, high fructose corn syrup, and other artificial ingredients. It has a lighter texture and a sweeter taste compared to heavy cream.

Can I substitute heavy cream for Cool Whip in profiteroles?

Yes, you can substitute heavy cream for Cool Whip in profiteroles. However, the end result may be slightly different in terms of texture and taste. Heavy cream will give your profiteroles a richer and creamier filling, while Cool Whip will make them lighter and sweeter.

Which one is healthier, heavy cream or Cool Whip?

While both heavy cream and Cool Whip are high in calories and fat, heavy cream is a natural dairy product and contains fewer artificial ingredients compared to Cool Whip. Therefore, heavy cream is generally considered to be the healthier option.

Which one is better for making profiteroles, heavy cream or Cool Whip?

It ultimately depends on your personal preference. If you prefer a richer and creamier filling, then heavy cream would be the better choice. However, if you prefer a lighter and sweeter filling, then Cool Whip would be the better option. You can also experiment with using a combination of both to achieve your desired taste and texture.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
nancycookspc
Replies
Views
Staci
  • kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies