Pineapple Preserves substitute?? - Jerk Chicken Salad

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by esavvymom, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esavvymom

esavvymom CS Leader Staff Member

Ok...I have lots of chicken breast leftovers in the fridge to use, and I thought I'd try to make the Jerk Chicken Salad (SB S/S '07). A friend said it was delicious, and I have all of the ingredients except Pineapple Preserves. It calls for 2 Tablespoons of it for the dressing (mixed with zest/juice of 2 limes & 1/3 c mayo).

I do not have any, and I'm not sure what I can use instead. I have fresh pineapple for the recipe, and I have a canned pineapple. Do you think I can just drain/mash the canned pineapple (tidbits), maybe add a bit of sugar?

Recipes for Pineapple preserves say to just add a bunch of sugar to fresh pineapple and let it sit/drain overnight. Take the drained portion and boil it, then add the pineapple bits. (sounds delicious!!) But I don't have the time to do it AND have dinner ready for tonight. :)

Ideas??

2. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Gold Member

I have done it two different ways and both were great.

The first time (several times) I took the crushed pineapple from the rind and added a good amount of sugar (maybe 1/4 cup). I didn't wait, I didn't boil it. I just used it and it tasted good.

The last time I used pineapple ice cream topping (ingredients are very close to preserves). I added fresh pineapple ("crushed" from the rind again) for texture and because the ice cream topping is soupier. It too was great! In fact I think it was better than what I had been doing before.

3. Lisa/ChefBear

Lisa/ChefBear Gold Member

I'm allergic to Pineapple so test kitchens told me to use Apricot or peach preserves. HTH

Lisa

4. Jennie4PC

Jennie4PC

I havent used either of them. Just made it with out. Still good

5. esavvymom

esavvymom CS Leader Staff Member

Ok...so, after I posted and before others replied, I did find someone who asked the same question- and was given the answer to just take a can of crushed pineapple, and add 1 cup of sugar and boil it. I did that (used about 3/4 cup) with a can of tidbits- that I crushed :D. It was DELICIOUS!! (the preserves by themselves! Who knew?!)

But then I was able to make the Jerk Chicken Salad, and if you've never made it before (which obviously those of you who've posted have), YUMMMM!!!! I added about 1/2 of a fresh mango that I had cut up yesterday for something else. Then I did it with pasta. I loved the dressing!! I wasn't so sure because of the mayo....some things PC has done with mayo didn't impress me, but the pineapple and lime together...wow! My DH didn't like the dressing- but that's ok. Saved more for me to have tomorrow for lunch!!

Thanks for the tips. They'll be handy for next time, and the idea of Peach and Apricot would be great too!

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.