• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Pineapple Preserves Substitute?? - Jerk Chicken Salad

In summary, Lisa tried to make the Jerk Chicken Salad using ingredients she had leftovers, but she ran into difficulty because she didn't have the ingredient called for, pineapple preserves. She found another way to make the salad using crushed pineapple and sugar and boiled it. She also made it with pasta and loved the dressing. Her husband didn't like the dressing, but she saved it for her next lunch.
esavvymom
Staff member
Ok...I have lots of chicken breast leftovers in the fridge to use, and I thought I'd try to make the Jerk Chicken Salad (SB S/S '07). A friend said it was delicious, and I have all of the ingredients except Pineapple Preserves. It calls for 2 Tablespoons of it for the dressing (mixed with zest/juice of 2 limes & 1/3 c mayo).

I do not have any, and I'm not sure what I can use instead. I have fresh pineapple for the recipe, and I have a canned pineapple. Do you think I can just drain/mash the canned pineapple (tidbits), maybe add a bit of sugar?

Recipes for Pineapple preserves say to just add a bunch of sugar to fresh pineapple and let it sit/drain overnight. Take the drained portion and boil it, then add the pineapple bits. (sounds delicious!!) But I don't have the time to do it AND have dinner ready for tonight. :)

Ideas??

I have done it two different ways and both were great.

The first time (several times) I took the crushed pineapple from the rind and added a good amount of sugar (maybe 1/4 cup). I didn't wait, I didn't boil it. I just used it and it tasted good.

The last time I used pineapple ice cream topping (ingredients are very close to preserves). I added fresh pineapple ("crushed" from the rind again) for texture and because the ice cream topping is soupier. It too was great! In fact I think it was better than what I had been doing before.

I'm allergic to Pineapple so test kitchens told me to use Apricot or peach preserves. HTH

Lisa

I havent used either of them. Just made it with out. Still good

Ok...so, after I posted and before others replied, I did find someone who asked the same question- and was given the answer to just take a can of crushed pineapple, and add 1 cup of sugar and boil it. I did that (used about 3/4 cup) with a can of tidbits- that I crushed :D. It was DELICIOUS!! (the preserves by themselves! Who knew?!)But then I was able to make the Jerk Chicken Salad, and if you've never made it before (which obviously those of you who've posted have), YUMMMM!!!! I added about 1/2 of a fresh mango that I had cut up yesterday for something else. Then I did it with pasta. I loved the dressing!! I wasn't so sure because of the mayo....some things PC has done with mayo didn't impress me, but the pineapple and lime together...wow! My DH didn't like the dressing- but that's ok. Saved more for me to have tomorrow for lunch!!Thanks for the tips. They'll be handy for next time, and the idea of Peach and Apricot would be great too! Thanks.

1. What can I use as a substitute for pineapple preserves in the Jerk Chicken Salad recipe?

You can use mango chutney or apricot preserves as a substitute for pineapple preserves in the Jerk Chicken Salad recipe. These alternatives will provide a similar sweet and tangy flavor to the dish.

2. Can I use fresh pineapple instead of pineapple preserves?

Yes, you can use fresh pineapple in the Jerk Chicken Salad recipe. However, keep in mind that the texture and sweetness may vary from using preserves. It is recommended to chop the pineapple into small pieces and adjust the amount to your personal preference.

3. Are there any other substitutions for pineapple preserves besides mango chutney and apricot preserves?

Other possible substitutes for pineapple preserves in the Jerk Chicken Salad recipe include peach preserves, guava paste, or even a combination of honey and lemon juice. These alternatives may slightly alter the flavor of the dish but will still provide a delicious result.

4. Can I omit the pineapple preserves altogether in the Jerk Chicken Salad recipe?

Yes, you can omit the pineapple preserves if you are unable to find a suitable substitute or prefer a less sweet version of the dish. The Jerk Chicken Salad will still be flavorful and delicious without the pineapple preserves.

5. How long will the Jerk Chicken Salad with pineapple preserves last in the refrigerator?

The Jerk Chicken Salad with pineapple preserves will last for 2-3 days in the refrigerator if stored in an airtight container. Keep in mind that the longer the salad sits, the more the flavors will develop and the texture may become softer. It is best to consume within 1-2 days for optimal freshness.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
  • SPAMSTIME
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
SPAMSTIME
  • momoftwins
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies