• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have You Tried Pina Colada Upside-Down Cake?

icky. The flavor was awesome.Everyone thought it was yummy! I used fresh pineapple and it came out great. I think the tidbits would be a great option if you're not a fan of pineapple rings.This cake is definitely the bomb! My host tried it before I did and she said it was so easy to cut through and the flavor was amazing. I'm definitely a keeper!
nikki70563
Gold Member
anyone made this cake - how did you like it, and what did you make it in?

anyone????

I have made it twice, it is wonderful. I followed the recipe except I used the canned pineapple rings instead of the fresh pineapple. I did make sure to use the DARK brown sugar, and every last crumb got eaten both times :)

I made it in the Exec. skillet. I used light brown sugar & pineapple cake mix. It turned out fine.

I haven't made it yet, but I did eat it at my cluster meeting last month and it was delicious. :love:

I've made it a few times using the pineapple rings and everyone LOVED it!!!

do you think it can be done in microwave in fluted stone?

nikki70563 said:
do you think it can be done in microwave in fluted stone?

I dont think anyone has tried this yet! i have posted this question on like 3 different threads and no one is responding to it! I think one of us is just going to have to experiment and post the results! :D

Do you think this would be a good demo recipe? Or is the bake time too long?

It would be a GREAT 2nd recipe to demo - I only demo the flipping out part for skillet cakes usually. But doesn' t use a lot of tools to make it so you would either want to do the potato demo with it or make another recipe with it.

bsaxman said:
I dont think anyone has tried this yet! i have posted this question on like 3 different threads and no one is responding to it! I think one of us is just going to have to experiment and post the results! :D

Well I think I will try it sat for my spring/summer kickoff show if it doesn't come out right it won't be a big deal because it will be mostly family and may some customers from previous shows. How long would you think to cook it in microwave?

I have a brand-new microwave, and I do microwave cakes ALL THE TIME in my bundt stone, and I usually do it for 11 minutes. Any longer and it is too dry... but I'm not sure about this recipe, because it's a little more complex then my normal microwave cakes... PLEASE let me know how it turns out!!

bsaxman said:
I have a brand-new microwave, and I do microwave cakes ALL THE TIME in my bundt stone, and I usually do it for 11 minutes. Any longer and it is too dry... but I'm not sure about this recipe, because it's a little more complex then my normal microwave cakes... PLEASE let me know how it turns out!!

I will try it sat and post the results on sun. or mon.

bsaxman said:

I made it for my show that was on sat. don't have the pictures with me I'm at work will try to post tonight or later during the week and also post how I made it because I did it in the microwave - everyone said it was good.

I made it using fresh pineapple. We thought it was so yummy, but one side kinda collapsed. My husband said it was the best pineapple upside down cake he had ever had as he was shoveling it in. I need to give it a try again.

Question - the pineapple was a bit tough, so when we went to cut it the cake was a mess. Any suggestions to make the pineapple more tender (thinner slices maybe), or what knife should I use. I have most of the knives.

If it's hard to cut through the pineapple, I would think the bread knife may work. Just keep using the sawing motion and not so much pressure...allow the blade to do the work! HTH

Is this cake the bomb or what?! One of my hosts tried making it before I did! She used tidbits instead of rings so it was easy to cut through, and the flavor was so awesome! It is a keeper! But, I am a sucker for anything pina-colada flavored. MMMM.

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
Is this cake the bomb or what?! One of my hosts tried making it before I did! She used tidbits instead of rings so it was easy to cut through, and the flavor was so awesome! It is a keeper! But, I am a sucker for anything pina-colada flavored. MMMM.

At my show on Monday, I wondered if the tidbits wouldn't make it easier - but it just looks so darn pretty when you flip it out. the Oooohhhs and Aaahhhhs!

But then, I was having a hard time getting the coconut to stick to the sides, so I just sprinkled it over the top, so that hid the prettiness anyway.

It was wonderful though, I rarely eat at my shows, but I had to try a tiny piece of this...mmmmmmm! I keep thinking I need to make it for home - but it's so big......

Ok I need help on how to post the pictures??

Here is how I made it and when I figure out how to post pictures I will do it.

Heat 1 stick of butter and 1 cup dark brown sugar in 8'' Saute Pan till disolved. Mix Duncan Hines yellow cake mix, 3 eggs, and 1 15 oz. can (brand Coco Lopez) Cream of Coconut, and 1 tsp rum extract in Batter Bowl. Next grease Fluted Stone and put five pineapple rings with cherries in each hole, then pour tepid mixture from saute pan and spoon cake batter on top and microwave 11 or more minutes (I did mine 10 minutes, then 2 minutes at a time for a total time of 16 minutes because middle was not cooked good enough) It looked dry but it wasn't. Then garnish with leftover pineapples and coconut flakes.

nikki70563 said:
Here is how I made it and when I figure out how to post pictures I will do it.

Heat 1 stick of butter and 1 cup dark brown sugar in 8'' Saute Pan till disolved. Mix Duncan Hines yellow cake mix, 3 eggs, and 1 15 oz. can (brand Coco Lopez) Cream of Coconut, and 1 tsp rum extract in Batter Bowl. Next grease Fluted Stone and put five pineapple rings with cherries in each hole, then pour tepid mixture from saute pan and spoon cake batter on top and microwave 11 or more minutes (I did mine 10 minutes, then 2 minutes at a time for a total time of 16 minutes because middle was not cooked good enough) It looked dry but it wasn't. Then garnish with leftover pineapples and coconut flakes.

So when you flipped the cake over, did you have any problems with it sticking or coming out like an ewie-gooie mess, or did it look pretty normal??

"1 15 oz. can (brand Coco Lopez) Cream of Coconut"

Is this what you are using for the unsweetened coconut milk? Where has everyone found the unsweetened coconut milk?

I used Goya (can be found on the international food aisle). I just made this yesterday and served it today for dessert. We all loved it! So easy and yummy! I just wished I could convince my Mom that she really could use the Skillet and could make her own! She claims she is "too old" for anything with a lifetime guarentee, yet she used her grill pan 2-3 times a week( a gift from me with the Grill Press)!
Jessica

COCO LOPEZ is not the same thing as unsweetened coconut milk!

bsaxman said:
So when you flipped the cake over, did you have any problems with it sticking or coming out like an ewie-gooie mess, or did it look pretty normal??

Nope it just came out without a problem I greased the stone real good because I really hadn't used it much since I got it maybe once or twice and it didn't stick like when I had did the upside down pineapple cake in another consultants stone and her's was seasoned more then mine I let it sit for about 15 or so minutes before I flipped out. I can post a picture but don't know how?

Bren706 said:
"1 15 oz. can (brand Coco Lopez) Cream of Coconut"

Is this what you are using for the unsweetened coconut milk? Where has everyone found the unsweetened coconut milk?

Yes this is what I used because I didn't have time to look around the store to find the unsweetened coconut milk and it did just fine.

Mine came out without a problem.Hostess found the coconut milk in the organic food aisle. I wish I'd opened the can and wisked it before the show as part of my prep, because it looked rather icky. But it all turned out fine.

If there is a problem finding coconut milk... the real stuff... you could use heavy cream in its place with 1T coconut extract... The real stuff is cool, but if it isn't popular in your area, you will pay a gourmet price. I am lucky that the Phoenix metropolis is so diverse! It is 50cents a can at our dollar stores here!

I've got this in the oven right now - a practice run for a show next week.

My question is this - the brown sugar seemed excessive and I couldn't get it to stay on the sides because the non-stick is so slippery that the butter was sliding down...

How has anyone else done this? Should I cut back on the sugar - I think it is going to come out with clumps of brown sugar on the top edges. Is this right? Should I have spread it all over the pan or just tried to get it on the sides? It wasn't very clear in the instructions...

Hopefully someone will answer this - and I'll report after dinner tonight how it came out!

Val

Well, it is now out of the oven and on the serving platter. The brown sugar turned really brown so it looks like the edges on top are burnt (but they aren't) and the middle is still nice and yellow so you can see the pineapple and cherries.

With the coconut sprinkled over the brown parts it looks okay. I thought my kids would be wrinkling their noses at it, but they said it looks good. (Of course they are nuts for cake)

We'll be having it for dessert tonight - so hopefully it at least tastes good. I don't know if this is the best recipe for a show, but it is a Hispanic lady and I thought being able to show off the 12" skillet would be a good thing.

We'll see...

Okay--so I was in a hurry, and I knew Cream of Coconut is different from coconut milk, but I looked with the drink mixers, and the canned milks and didn't find it, so I went with the cream. Whoever posted above that this is what they used..did it work fine? I need to take it to church tomorrow for our "tropical vacation Sunday". Thought this would be perfect. No time to go back to the store and hunt!

The coconut milk is usually by the Thai food ingredients.

Chefstover2 said:
Do you think this would be a good demo recipe? Or is the bake time too long?

I offered it as the only recipe. Everyone helped put it together & into the oven. Then I did my "talk demo" while it was baking. Once done, I flipped it on the plate. Then everyone ate & did their orders. I think it worked fine.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• smilesarepriceless
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • raebates
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
cochef
Replies