• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have you tried making Pillsbury crescent rolls from scratch?

Some people prefer whole-grain products, while others may choose reduced-fat varieties. It is up to the individual to make the choice.
KimoMakano
Gold Member
I am curious if anyone has tried to make the crescent rolls from scratch.
I would like to make my own for testing out recipes since they are kinda expensive in Hawaii (yes, even something as simple as these have a Paradise price). :)

Mahalo

Good question, but I don't know the answer.
I avoid the crescent rolls.

They are really quite versatile though and can make some pretty cool recipes. It would be real nice though to be able to make some "fresh" dough that had the same texture.

I haven't tried it, but if you do, one thing to watch out for is crescent roll vs. croissant recipes. Croissants are much more flaky and labor-intensive. And the texture would be all wrong for most PC recipes that call for crescents.Good luck! And report back with the results of your testing. :)

i have made homemade crescent rolls before they were good, not sure where my cookbook is at the moment we've moved since then and i still have some stuff in boxes in the basement.

how about whole-grain or reduced-fat ones? i am on ww and try to avoid overly processed food.

Whole foods crescents...AAAh Scratch. I grind my own wheat so I am with Susan. I use a homemade bisuit mix that works wonderfully. I just roll out the dough in a circle and cut into eight wedged with my pizza cutter. This one makes 10 cups of mix and I use it for crescents, biscuits, pancakes, muffins, cobblers, and English scones.
Whole grain Baking Mix
8 cups whole wheat organic flour--pastry if possible
1 cup brown rice flour(or cornstarch)
1 cup expeller pressed olive or canola oil
1/3 cup baking powder
4tsp salt

Put all ingredients in a kitchen-aid mixer and blend until consistency of bisquik.
For biscuits: 2 cups mix, 1/2 -3/4 cup cup cold water (depending on the flour), bake 425 10-12 minutes
Pancakes: 2 cups mix, 1 cup water-- hot griddle.
Muffins: 1 1/2 cup mix, 1 egg, 1/2 cup water. 425 15-20 minutes
Cobblers: 1 3/4 cup mix, 1/3 cup sugar or ganulated fructose, 3/4 cup water over 4 cups of fruit. 375 35-40 minutes
Scones: 2 cups mix, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, (flavor agents of choice, like cinnamon, currants, dried cherries, chocolate chips...) Roll out in circle 1/2 inch thick and cut into wedges. Bake 425 10-12 minutes. Brush with butter and top with cinnamon sprinkles or carmel sprinkels

Last edited:
chef steph...you are da bomb!!!! thank you so much!!!!

Wow chef steph, ditto what Susan said!! How do you store the mix? Is it tender? It sounds really good. Thanks for sharing!

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
AAAh Scratch. I grind my own wheat so I am with Susan. I use a homemade bisuit mix that works wonderfully. I just roll out the dough in a circle and cut into eight wedged with my pizza cutter. This one makes 10 cups of mix and I use it for crescents, biscuits, pancakes, muffins, cobblers, and English scones.
Whole grain Baking Mix
8 cups whole wheat organic flour--pastry if possible
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup expeller pressed olive or canola oil
1/3 cup baking powder
4tsp salt

Put all ingredients in a kitchen-aid mixer and blend until consistency of bisquik.
For biscuits: 2 cups mix, 1/2 cup cold water or milk, bake 425 10-12 minutes
Pancakes: 2 cups mix, 1 cup water-- hot griddle.
Muffins: 1 1/2 cup mix, 1 egg, 1/2 cup water. 425 15-20 minutes
Cobblers: 1 3/4 cup mix, 1/3 cup sugar or ganulated fructose, 3/4 cup water over 4 cups of fruit. 375 35-40 minutes
Scones: 2 cups mix, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, (flavor agents of choice, like cinnamon, currants, dried cherries, chocolate chips...) Roll out in circle 1/2 inch thick and cut into wedges. Bake 425 10-12 minutes. Brush with butter and top with cinnamon sprinkles or carmel sprinkels

Okay STEPHANIE You are quickly becoming one of my very favorites on here! I LOVE:love: whole grain foods. How do you grind your own wheat.... I'm utterly fascinated!
I will be making these whole grain recipes very soon! Oh, you just tripped my trigger, girlfriend! LOL!:love: :D ;) I'm on the South Beach diet and if you eat bread, everything is about whole grains! Oh yummy! Thank you for sharing your recipes and your knowledge!:love: ;) :balloon:

now that i'm done doing the happy dance, i have a couple questions:
1. If you're not going to use all the mix at once, how do you store it since it has oil?
2. do you use the biscuit combo to make the crescents?

thank you!

susanr613 said:
how about whole-grain or reduced-fat ones? i am on ww and try to avoid overly processed food.

susan hi i have recently joined ww myself and am trying to do more whole grain foods also, my question for you is have you ever tried somehow incorporating your business at one of your meetings, or done any kind of ww shows with pc?

WW and PC
ChefDella said:
susan hi i have recently joined ww myself and am trying to do more whole grain foods also, my question for you is have you ever tried somehow incorporating your business at one of your meetings, or done any kind of ww shows with pc?

Sorry for the minor hijack here. I am going to try and do a light and healthy show this weekend - I'm making the Chicken/Grapefruit/Avacado salad. I just bought the catalog tote and will bring it to my next WW meeting. That's about as out there as I will be with advertising.

Della, if you find some combination strategy or trick that works for you, please let me know.

End hijack :)

susanr613 said:
Sorry for the minor hijack here. I am going to try and do a light and healthy show this weekend - I'm making the Chicken/Grapefruit/Avacado salad. I just bought the catalog tote and will bring it to my next WW meeting. That's about as out there as I will be with advertising.

Della, if you find some combination strategy or trick that works for you, please let me know.

End hijack :)

well i think i'm going to get the tote, and also i just got a pampered chef tshirt, so i think i will wear that to my weigh in on monday, hopefully it will help in some way. i will be wearing it pretty much anytime i leave the house especially if i know i'm going to be around a bunch of people.:angel: :)

Wow, lots of good ideas and recipes. I am going to try some this weekend and will post the results. I really appreciate everyone's input.

ChefDella said:

ChefAnn always posts all the WW points for each cookbook. Search for points and you can usually find the thread with them.

susanr613 said:
1. If you're not going to use all the mix at once, how do you store it since it has oil?
thank you!

I have that question too. Also, would you add the approximate yield for each of those items (i.e. how many biscuits, etc)? Since you have a bakery, I just want to know up front if I'm going to end up with 100 biscuits! (Do you recommend freezing them?)

Thanks...absolutely love your contributions here Stephanie!
leggy

ChefDella said:
, also i just got a pampered chef tshirt, so i think i will wear that to my weigh in on monday, hopefully it will help in some way. i will be wearing it pretty much anytime i leave the house especially if i know i'm going to be around a bunch of people.:angel: :)

my boys had an all day baseball camp yesterday (sat) wore my shirt and also took some things with me to work on and was asked for a catalog by one of the dad's, he does most of the cooking at home and was interested in a few things, he said he buys most of his stuff from resturaunt warehouse places. he did name several things as he was going thru the catalog he was interested in. will update tomorrow night how the ww thing goes by wearing my shirt. please say a few prayers that i will get something out of it, i am really needing some more shows regardless of what type they are. i don't have anything for march other than the few online orders i've received. i have done several things to get bookings and get no responses.

Okay girls...
susanr613 said:
2. do you use the biscuit combo to make the crescents?

thank you!
Susan emailed me but I wanted to post this...
Store the mix in the fridge because the expeller pressed oil will go rancid more quickly.
It can be made without any added fat, but needs to be mixed only a little as to avoid over mixing. You use the biscuit combo to make the biscuits, is you go fat free, be sure to add a little more water and to make a fluffier product. It is possible to use more rice flour( 1 more cup to replace 1 of the cups of wheat). It reduces the amount of wheat protein (gluten) and gives a more cake like texture. It is possible to also add 2tsp active dry yeast to the water first, blend, and then add to the mix. This gives a more yeast dough flavor.

Cathy, you asked how I grind my own wheat. I have an electric grain mill. I am actually into totally organic wheat out here and have a good source. It is a heavy part of my upbringing... we make bread by hand three days a week. I love your posts tooooo!

legacypc46 said:
I have that question too. Also, would you add the approximate yield for each of those items (i.e. how many biscuits, etc)? Since you have a bakery, I just want to know up front if I'm going to end up with 100 biscuits! (Do you recommend freezing them?)

Thanks...absolutely love your contributions here Stephanie!
leggy
The 2 cups of mix make about a dozen biscuits. You can freeze premade biscuits, but I honestly think they are so easy to make once you have the mix, it isn't necessary. It is also possible to go ahead and cut the recipe in half if you have a smaller family... 1 cup mix etc.

Thanks for the love! Good energy out there in the universe can only help everyone, right?

Chef Stephanie - Read this!!!I found the pastry flour tonight! I just glanced over when I was standing in the produce section tonight and Pow!!.... there it was, in fact I found the entire organic section and the brown rice flour!!!
I didn't get it today, because I was in there shopping for my church.... I got a call last week and was recruited to make all the baked goods and candy for our Jerusalem Market! It will be part of our Easter event at church this Saturday morning! We are having a huge Easter Egg Hunt, and all kinds of other fun events planned for the kids. In the sanctuary we are doing a "Jerusalem Market" to show the kids what it was like back in the days of Jesus. Well, the Children's Minister wants it to be as authentic as possible, and she want me to make a lot of it on stones, because she said that was probably more authentic then metal sheets. We are doing authentic candies and cookies and coffee cakes. I will start tomorrow morning with another woman who is a good friend (and very loyal PC host and customer!) They told me that the minute they started planning this market, they knew they wanted to have me do all the baking with all my cool PC stuff! They are very loyal and good to me!
Anyway, I figured I would already have a lot on my plate right now, so I will buy the organic whole wheat pastry flour and brown rice flour next week and get busy with making some yummy stuff for my family! My hubby and I both like wheat breads a lot and this sounds so good!
Do you have a favorite wheat bread that maybe incorporates some other whole grains, seed and nuts that you wouldn't mind sharing? I would love to make bread like this too!

Last edited:
this makes me want to make scones. They tend to frost them around here, which is odd. I avoid crescent roll recipes b/c I try to avoid processed foods too. VERY limited refined sugar for me especially (and you won't find it in my house). I love that there is more and more organic available. I really need to start making my own bread. I love homemade bread, but luckily have found really good wheat breads.

Bread is a seminar for sure...
MissChef said:
Do you have a favorite wheat bread that maybe incorporates some other whole grains, seed and nuts that you wouldn't mind sharing? I would love to make bread like this too!
I am usually the first to give out a recipe and am so flattered to be asked. I actually specialize in whole grain bread, one of my favorite being a sprouted wheat bread made without any flour, just sprouted grains of wheat. It is pretty light and fluffy with a chew and texture unlike any commercial bread... in a very good way. I also add sprouted lentils and barley if I am in the mood. There is a definate technique to baking and mixing bread without a bread machine. If you are interrested in an amazing resource on whole grain bread my favorite all time book on the subject is "The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book". (Random House 1984) They have all the recipes I use and adore.
These guys are totally into the science and technique that will really give depth to your experience level. If I could just fly to WA I would. At any rate, I say get the book because it is a seminar for sure! I wish I could come to your Church activity!!! It sounds like a wonderful event... and good luck with the preparations! What a great way to teach about the real Easter events! You go girl!

I am usually the first to give out a recipe and am so flattered to be asked. I actually specialize in whole grain bread, one of my favorite being a sprouted wheat bread made without any flour, just sprouted grains of wheat. It is pretty light and fluffy with a chew and texture unlike any commercial bread... in a very good way. I also add sprouted lentils and barley if I am in the mood. There is a definate technique to baking and mixing bread without a bread machine. If you are interrested in an amazing resource on whole grain bread my favorite all time book on the subject is "The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book". (Random House 1984) They have all the recipes I use and adore.
These guys are totally into the science and technique that will really give depth to your experience level. If I could just fly to WA I would. At any rate, I say get the book because it is a seminar for sure! I wish I could come to your Church activity!!! It sounds like a wonderful event... and good luck with the preparations! What a great way to teach about the real Easter events! You go girl!
Thanks for responding so quickly! I will check out that book, I'll google it and see if it's a better deal to order it and have it shipped or see if I can get it at Hastings which is about 1 mile away from my house, or Barnes and Noble, which is in our mall.
It's too bad you don't live closer to me because I'd dig on what you do and probably would follow you around like a lost puppy!:eek: :D :p ;) I could totally get engrossed into what you do and all your knowledge! :)
I am looking forward to this Saturday. The lady that I'm baking with tomorrow asked me to get into costume with her and actually be one of the bakers giving away the candy.... I originally was not going to do that, because of my daughter's age and the fact that I felt I needed to be with her, but then I talked to my hubby tonight and he said he'd go on Saturday and stay with her! So that worked out good!
Thanks for the encouragement! I really love that our church is doing this! I really love my church and how my pastor teaches the Word!:sing: :)

MissChef said:
Thanks for responding so quickly! I will check out that book, I'll google it and see if it's a better deal to order it and have it shipped or see if I can get it at Hastings which is about 1 mile away from my house, or Barnes and Noble, which is in our mall.
It's too bad you don't live closer to me because I'd dig on what you do and probably would follow you around like a lost puppy!:eek: :D :p ;) I could totally get engrossed into what you do and all your knowledge! :) I am looking forward to this Saturday. The lady that I'm baking with tomorrow asked me to get into costume with her and actually be one of the bakers giving away the candy.... I originally was not going to do that, because of my daughter's age and the fact that I felt I needed to be with her, but then I talked to my hubby tonight and he said he'd go on Saturday and stay with her! So that worked out good!
Thanks for the encouragement! I really love that our church is doing this! I really love my church and how my pastor teaches the Word!:sing: :)

Everything I know, I've learned... that is why I like to give out resources as well as insights. Honestly I don't feel like an expert and crave knowledge...so that is good right? We had a similar event at our church a few years back before my first was born, only it was at Christmas time and was an evening in Bethlehem. I was asked to run the bakery booth even though I was huge pregnant! Bishop said that he didn't want any "holy births" that night. I know how you feel about your church. Hearing the Word-- but also being hearers and do-ers also. Sounds like a great ministry!

Everything I know, I've learned... that is why I like to give out resources as well as insights. Honestly I don't feel like an expert and crave knowledge...so that is good right? We had a similar event at our church a few years back before my first was born, only it was at Christmas time and was an evening in Bethlehem. I was asked to run the bakery booth even though I was huge pregnant! Bishop said that he didn't want any "holy births" that night. I know how you feel about your church. Hearing the Word-- but also being hearers and do-ers also. Sounds like a great ministry!
Are we like just a few of the only ones on here tonight?:) You can tell we are on the West Coast! It's still early to me!
When I read this I thought about the fact that in my last post I was going to say that I reallylove to read!:love: I have soooo many books! And just ooooooodddles and oodles of cook books!!!!!! I would love to write a book one day! I just think it would be fun, have no clue what but think it would be a blast!
Anyway, so I totally understand what you mean by craving knowledge! One thing I'm obsessed with is magazines! Especially cooking magazines, health magazines and christian magazines.... I like All You too, it was created by the people that do Cooking Light!
I have so many magazines! My hubby could just pull his hair out! And I litteraly am drawn to the magazine aisle!!!
And Food Network, I could watch it all day long and never get bored. I love Good Eats because he teaches, really teaches on that show and I've learned SO MUCH from him!
And as far as our church discussion, I am with you on the doers also, as my pastor says.... Faith comes by hearing, saying and doing the word:):angel:

Last edited:
Doing is the best way to learn! It rings true no matter what area in is! Be it cooking, painting, living right... It is one thing to read it and another to try it. Right? But, I am with you on the reading! I couldn't decide what to go into English or Culinary Arts. Love to read. It feeds the soul in so many ways and exposes one to so many characters and experiences. My DH goes crazy too with the books/magazines. He is a bit of a non-extra-stuff-around guy and is always saying I need to part with some of my books... but which friends do I throw away?!?

oh my gosh! I totally understand!
Do you read to your kid(s)? I have since they were babies and both my kids are off the charts in their reading levels! My son is in 6th grade and reads like he's in 10th!
Sure sounds like we have a lot in common!:angel: ;) :balloon:

It is almost spooky... but in a good way! My sons get it every night. My eight year old was reading on a 5th grade level when he finished Kindergarten. If I didn't know better I would think you where my long lost sister! I love this website!

I am originally from Southern California.... have you always lived in Arizonia? How cool that your son reads that good too! My son has received superior honor role for 3 years now! He and only 1 other girl from his class are the only ones that his teach is reccommending for honors classes next year when he starts middle school/junior high. We are very proud of him! And his sister is just as smart, she just adds a ton more drama to the whole situation! :p I have no clue where she gets that from... (cough, cough!:p )
you need to post a picture of yourself on here, in your profile, you can see me, but I can't see you! And I really don't think you look like Taz! BTW... you can see a picture of my entire family in the photos section above.... it is out of date, but you can see what my hubby and I looked like in our 20's! Jessica is only 6 months in this picture and Ryan is only 4! Ryan will be 12 next month and Jessie will be 8 in June... time for a new picture!;)

I haven't lived here my whole life. Just the last 15yrs. It is home to me though. We moved a ton as a kid and I did spend 4 consistent years in Arizona as a teenager. Moved to Salt Lake my Jr, year and graduated with strangers. Arizona felt lik home, so I came here for school and met my DH here at a singles activity. I tried to download a few pictures and they where too big. I am unfortunately not a huge master genius of the computer. It is a miracle that I have my picture on my business cards from Merrill!

Good night Stephanie!!Well, my new found friend, it is time I go now, my hubby is down here with me and he has gone to bed, our office and our room are in the day light basement and it is one big room. But I know my hubby is not sleeping with the sound of my typeing, so I need to respect my man and let him get his sleep, he gets up at 4:30 am!
Hopefully I'll "see" you on here tomorrow!;) :D :balloon:

Lights out you silly girls! That is what my dad would say as we giggled late at night!

oh my gosh, Stephanie!!! I take that's YOU!! You are so pretty!!! Nice to "see" you! I feel like I have officially met you know!!! :love: ;) My picutre is old and it was in 2002, with Jean Jonas at my New Directors Breakfast!
But I still look a lot like it, I just have a little less curly hair (it was permed) and it's darker, more red (fake red!) I dye it because I am starting to get too grey!
Thanks for putting your picture up!:) :balloon:

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • pcjulie
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Ginger428
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips