• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Silpat vs Pastry Mat: What's the Difference?

In summary, Silpat and pastry mats differ in the material they are made from, with Silpat being made from food-grade silicone and pastry mats typically made from non-stick plastic or silicone. Both can be used for baking, but Silpat is specifically designed for it while pastry mats have a wider range of uses. Silpat is easier to clean and has a higher heat resistance, but they are not interchangeable as their intended purposes and materials may differ.
KateInTheKitchen
Gold Member
A customer would like a silpat or two... am I understanding correctly that this is different from the pastry mat (which I haven't actually seen). Can you bake on our pastry mat?

No you cannot bake on the pastry mat. It can handle heat as in making candies or brittle but it cannot go in the oven. Compared to other pastry mats - I LOVE ours. I don't do a lot of baking but love it for kneading pizza dough (easy clean up), making chocolates at christmas (vs using parchment paper) and more. It is stored rolled but doesn't hold that shape like plastic ones.

Also, our pastry mat is rather large. It wouldn't work for fitting on cookie sheets like Silpat.

I used mine for making peanut brittle and melted white chocolate with candy canes for the first time--LOVE it!!

Hi there! Thank you for reaching out about the silpat and pastry mat. The silpat is a silicone baking mat that is great for non-stick baking, while the pastry mat is a non-stick surface for rolling out dough and other pastry making tasks. Both are great tools to have in the kitchen, but they serve different purposes. You can definitely bake on our pastry mat, but it is not the same as a silpat. Let me know if you have any other questions or if you would like to purchase either of these products. Happy baking!

1. What is the main difference between Silpat and a pastry mat?

The main difference between Silpat and a pastry mat is the material they are made from. Silpat is made from food-grade silicone, while a pastry mat is typically made from non-stick plastic or silicone. This difference affects their durability, heat resistance, and non-stick properties.

2. Can both Silpat and pastry mats be used for baking?

Yes, both Silpat and pastry mats can be used for baking. However, Silpat is specifically designed to be used as a non-stick surface for baking, while a pastry mat can also be used for rolling out dough and other pastry work.

3. Which one is easier to clean?

Silpat is generally considered easier to clean than a pastry mat. Its non-stick surface makes it easy to wipe off any residue, and it is also dishwasher safe. Pastry mats may require more scrubbing to remove any stuck-on dough or batter.

4. Are there any differences in heat resistance between Silpat and pastry mats?

Yes, there are differences in heat resistance between Silpat and pastry mats. Silpat can withstand higher temperatures, typically up to 480 degrees Fahrenheit, while pastry mats may have a lower heat resistance, around 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit. It is important to check the manufacturer's instructions before using either for high-temperature baking.

5. Can Silpat and pastry mats be used interchangeably?

While they both serve a similar purpose, Silpat and pastry mats are not necessarily interchangeable. Silpat is specifically designed for baking, while pastry mats have a wider range of uses in the kitchen. Additionally, the materials and heat resistances may differ, so it is important to use them according to their intended purpose.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
urbnk8
  • bridgetbakes
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Jules711
Replies