• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are some alternative uses for the pastry blender besides cutting eggs?

In summary, a pastry blender is a kitchen tool used to mix and blend ingredients for pastry dough or other baked goods. It can also be used for tasks such as making mashed potatoes, crumb toppings, and guacamole. To clean it, rinse with warm water and mild soap and use a brush or toothpick to remove any trapped food particles. To use it correctly, aim for small, pea-sized crumbs. For flakier pastry dough, use cold butter or margarine, work the dough lightly, chill it before rolling, rotate the blender in a circular motion, and use a blender with fewer blades.
CookingwithMary
Any suggestions for other uses for the pastry blender (December special) other than chopping eggs for egg salad? Other than pastry, of couse :)I'm stumped.Thanks!

Last edited:
CookingwithMary said:
Any suggestions for other uses for the pastry blender (December special) other than chopping eggs for egg salad?

I'm stumped.

Thanks!

Call me silly - but I use it to blend pastry.....:D

It's great for pie crust, for struesel, for mixing up dryer cookie doughs - like Russian Teacakes.

How about mixing meatloaf? I used the mix and chop, but it just wasn't doing the job, but I bet the pastry blender would. Also, mixing up things like chicken salad, etc.

I've used the old Pastry Blender for meatloaf type mixes. I haven't purchased the newer Pastry Blender.

Meatloaf...now that is a good idea.Any others?

In a pinch, as a potato masher?

My director had suggested to me to use the Pastry Blender to chop up the canned chicken for the Clubhouse Chicken Squares.

I use it to make Guacamole.

I haven't tried this because I love the Mix & Chop, but at a recent show one guest said she uses the pastry blender to break up her ground beef while browning.

'Tis the season for cheeseballs!

mellissacooks4you said:
I haven't tried this because I love the Mix & Chop, but at a recent show one guest said she uses the pastry blender to break up her ground beef while browning.

If she is using a non-stick pan, she may scratch it with anything metal...all the more reason to purchase our handy dandy Mix & Chop!!!!!

1. What is a pastry blender and how is it used?

A pastry blender is a kitchen tool used to mix and blend ingredients for pastry dough or other baked goods. It typically consists of curved metal wires attached to a handle. To use it, simply hold the handle and press the wires into the ingredients, cutting and blending them together until the desired texture is achieved.

2. Can a pastry blender be used for other tasks besides making pastry dough?

Yes, a pastry blender can also be used to mix and blend ingredients for other dishes such as mashed potatoes, crumb toppings, and even guacamole. It can also be used to break up chunks of butter or margarine for easier mixing into batters or doughs.

3. What is the best way to clean a pastry blender?

The best way to clean a pastry blender is to rinse it with warm water and mild soap immediately after use. Use a small brush or toothpick to remove any trapped food particles in between the wire blades. Rinse thoroughly and dry with a clean towel before storing.

4. How do I know if I am using the pastry blender correctly?

If you are getting small, pea-sized crumbs when using the pastry blender, then you are using it correctly. If the crumbs are too big, press and blend the ingredients a little more. If the crumbs are too small, press and blend the ingredients a little less to achieve the desired texture.

5. Are there any tips for using a pastry blender to make flakier pastry dough?

Yes, here are a few tips for using a pastry blender to make flakier pastry dough:

• Make sure your butter or margarine is cold and cut into small cubes before mixing it into the flour.
  • Use a light hand when pressing and blending the ingredients together to avoid overworking the dough.
  • Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out to prevent the butter from melting and creating a tough crust.
  • Rotate the pastry blender in a circular motion while pressing it into the ingredients to evenly distribute the fat and create layers in the dough.
  • Use a pastry blender with fewer blades for a more delicate and flaky texture.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• meganmcg
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • scottcooks
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
iteachncook
  • kitchenqueen