• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ot:help With Wording of Wedding Invitation

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help in wording their wedding invitation and sharing their own experiences with wedding invitations. The options for wording include requesting the honor of one's presence or the pleasure of their company, and sometimes including the names of parents or loved ones who have passed away.
chefheidi2003
Gold Member
I need help deciding how to word my wedding invitation. Here is what I have come up with..but I am very open to other suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Heidi Leigh Kreitzer
And
Andrew Sean Patterson
Request the honour of your presence
At their marriage
On Saturday, the first day of October
Two Thousand and eleven
At two o’clock in the afternoon
Trinity United Methodist Church, Lickdale
98 Fisher Ave
Jonestown, Pennsylvania

Dorlee Kreitzer
Requests the honour of your presence
At the marriage of her daughter
Heidi Leigh Kreitzer
To
Andrew Sean Patterson
Son of Kenneth and Brenda Gerbrich
On Saturday, the first day of October
Two Thousand and eleven
At two o’clock in the afternoon
Trinity United Methodist Church, Lickdale
98 Fisher Ave
Jonestown, Pennsylvania

Heidi my Trisha is getting married that same day!!!! Congratulations.

Heidi my Trisha is getting married that same day!!!! Congratulations.

Thank you. That is funny. I have to get my hair done extra early because a girl from my salon (not my hair dresser) is also getting married that day.

I used something similar to your second one for my invitations. Mine read:

Mr Charles Pelzel and
Mr Louis and Mrs Marilyn Suprise
request the honor of your presence
at the convalidation of their children
Jane Helene
and
Joel David
on Saturday, the twenty-fifth of June
two thousand and five

If you noticed the word convalidation instead of wedding, it's because I'm Catholic. I got legally married in November 2002, in March 2003, I took an all expense paid trip (without my husband) to a lovely desert vacation spot (Iraq). I have found it is pretty common in the military to get the legal marriage taken care of when you need it and the religious ceremony when you can.

My hubby and I went with something very much like your first option. My dad passed away 2 years before we got married, but it seemed weird to list only my mom's name. Also there was the whole issue of "if we list mine, we should somehow list his" - and rather than get all politically correct about it or have some crazy awkward wording, we opted to not list any parents. We saved that for inside our program for the ceremony, where I was also able to list that a candle and flowers were in memory of my dad and other lost loved ones.

I do like that wording..I just have an issue with using the word children..no offense..if we were early 20s I would not have an issue..but he is 40..and I am 31. I am sure it is just me..but it is just hard for me to do..LOL.

PCLaurel said:
My hubby and I went with something very much like your first option. My dad passed away 2 years before we got married, but it seemed weird to list only my mom's name. Also there was the whole issue of "if we list mine, we should somehow list his" - and rather than get all politically correct about it or have some crazy awkward wording, we opted to not list any parents. We saved that for inside our program for the ceremony, where I was also able to list that a candle and flowers were in memory of my dad and other lost loved ones.

Do you mind sharing your wording that you used about the candle and flowers? I am having red gerber daisies..but there will be 1 white rose in the middle of my bouquet to represent my dad who passed away 10 years ago. I want to put that in the program somehow I just don't know exactly how to word it.

I think I've always heard that if the parents are paying for the wedding, then you do the whole parents thing (listing both sets), but if you are the ones paying for it you can skip that formality. ;)

babywings76 said:
I think I've always heard that if the parents are paying for the wedding, then you do the whole parents thing (listing both sets), but if you are the ones paying for it you can skip that formality. ;)

yeah..I was thinking about that too. We are paying for most of it..but my mom is helping with a few things..and she did tell me yesterday that if we need more money just to ask her and she will include it as part of our "gift"

Instead of "request the honor of your presence" we had it worded as "request the pleasure of your company" in our invitations almost 8.5 years ago! We just liked the way it sounded....plus we were married Oct 19th so I had about 8 pounds of Halloween candy spread amongst the tables :)Karen

thehaleykitchen said:
Instead of "request the honor of your presence" we had it worded as "request the pleasure of your company" in our invitations almost 8.5 years ago! We just liked the way it sounded....plus we were married Oct 19th so I had about 8 pounds of Halloween candy spread amongst the tables :)Karen
I do like that a lot.* I will have to run that by him.

Heidi, we worded ours a bit in reverse
Jeanine Gulliver and Larry Larson
along with their parents
Ron & Carol Gulliver
and
Keith & Eva Larson . . .
etc.

chefjeanine said:
Heidi, we worded ours a bit in reverse
Jeanine Gulliver and Larry Larson
along with their parents
Ron & Carol Gulliver
and
Keith & Eva Larson . . .
etc.

I am adding this to my list to see what Andy thinks.

babywings76 said:

Yes, the invitation should come from those who are hosting the event. If you are paying for most of it, then you would be considered the hosts of the event, and you should be extending the invitation to your guests.

A good place to lurk for suggestions is Etiquette Hell .

We did something along the lines of:
The families of
Bride
and
Groom

or was it:
Bride
and
Groom
along with their families

Now you make me want to go dig out my invitations to see what it really said!

You can Google "Wedding Invitation Wording" and see if there is something that fits you!

wadesgirl said:
We did something along the lines of:
The families of
Bride
and
Groom

or was it:
Bride
and
Groom
along with their families

Now you make me want to go dig out my invitations to see what it really said!

You can Google "Wedding Invitation Wording" and see if there is something that fits you!

yeah I did google that..actually..I am sure that that is the exact way that I put it in..LOL.

I think I am going to go without the parents names. Idk. I guess I will see what he thinks. I just need to catch him on a helpful day

chefheidi2003 said:
Do you mind sharing your wording that you used about the candle and flowers? I am having red gerber daisies..but there will be 1 white rose in the middle of my bouquet to represent my dad who passed away 10 years ago. I want to put that in the program somehow I just don't know exactly how to word it.

I can absolutely get that info for you. Just give me a day or two - I'm not sure if it's on this computer or the other one, or if I'll have to look in the box of wedding stuff.

I know that I had flowers on the piano with a candle, but I can't remember (this sounds horrible!) whether the flowers were for my dad and the candle for other loved ones who had passed or if it was vice versa. I also had 3 white roses in my bouquet that were to symbolize my mom, my dad and myself (I'm an only child), but I did not put that in the program - that was pretty much just for myself, my hubby & my mom. Did something similar when my mom passed away - 3 white roses in her coffin.

ff5c34cb.jpg

KG when I saw that you posted I said UH OH. But that is so funny.

My wedding invitation had "on this day I will marry my friend. The one who shares my dreams, life and Love...Then on the inside:
Because you have shared in our lives
Beth Gentil
And
Craig Brigham
together with her children
John, Widdy and Andy
invite you to join us
as we are united together in marriage
before God and His ChurchOur celebration will begin
on Friday, the 13th of June, 1986
at four o'clock in the afternoonChurch name, reception info...

I didn't read all of your responses yet, but I'm somewhat obsessed with weddings and aspire to be an event planner. Depending on how formal and etiquette wise you want to go will determine the formality and wording.Traditionally the people hosting (paying) are listed on the invitation. If you and your fiance are paying the bulk of it you should use something like your first option. But if you feel your mom deserves mention then add her. My husband and I paid for all of our wedding ourselves and we had no mention of his parents or mine. (But my mom had already passed and my father is a long story) And his parents offered no help.Mine read like this:With Joyful Hearts
We ask you to please
Join us in Celebrating our Commitment
A you Witness the Marriage of
Jeffrey Mckay
And
Catherine SmithOn Date
Time
PlaceMy suggestion for you would be something like your first one or with your mom maybe
Something likeYour Mom with Your names requests etc orYour names with your mom's names.If his parents aren't contributing it is ok to leave them off even with your mom on. There are tons of great sites to help with wording too. Good luck and congrats!

Here's what we used for our program. Maybe the wording in it will help you some.

Attachments

• wedding program.doc
    133 KB · Views: 603
Also, for our wedding was very relaxed & fun. Here's what our invitations said- TWO LIVES, TWO HEARTS
JOINED TOGETHER BY FRIENDSHIP
UNITED FOREVER IN LOVE
IT’S WITH JOY THAT
TOGETHER WITH OUR PARENTS,
WEDaniel Charles Snyder
&
Amy Lynn SnyderINVITE YOU TO JOIN US
AS WE EXCHANGE OUR MARRIAGE VOWS
AT THREE O’CLOCK IN THE AFTERNOON
ON THE SEVENTH OF AUGUST TWO THOUSAND TEN
IN CLYMER, PAFOLLOWING THE “I DO’S”
WE ASK YOU JOIN US FOR SOME
FUN, DRINKS, & BARBEQUE

kcmckay said:
I didn't read all of your responses yet, but I'm somewhat obsessed with weddings and aspire to be an event planner. Depending on how formal and etiquette wise you want to go will determine the formality and wording.

Traditionally the people hosting (paying) are listed on the invitation. If you and your fiance are paying the bulk of it you should use something like your first option. But if you feel your mom deserves mention then add her. My husband and I paid for all of our wedding ourselves and we had no mention of his parents or mine. (But my mom had already passed and my father is a long story) And his parents offered no help.

Mine read like this:

With Joyful Hearts
We ask you to please
Join us in Celebrating our Commitment
A you Witness the Marriage of
Jeffrey Mckay
And
Catherine Smith

On Date
Time
Place

My suggestion for you would be something like your first one or with your mom maybe
Something like

Your Mom with Your names requests etc or

Your names with your mom's names.

If his parents aren't contributing it is ok to leave them off even with your mom on. There are tons of great sites to help with wording too. Good luck and congrats!

No it wouldn't..we would never hear the end of it..LOL. I talked to my mom the other day and asked her if her feelings would be hurt if her name was not on the invitation and she made fun of me..LOL..she definately doesn't care. So we will not be including parents names..now to decide the rest of the wording. I like yours.

We decided to go with Request the Honour of your presence..and not use our parent's names. For the response cards..I had age catagories..LOL. 12 and older..4-12..and 3 and under..that way I can plan better for food..as well as I am making little bags up for the kids. Snacks and activities. I misspelled a word on the response cards though..oh well..16 people will have misspelled response cards..because I can't get just the response cards..and I don't want to have to buy a whole new kit..it is the word Multipurpose..I spelled it Mulitpurpose. Most people won't even notice..and the ones who do can get a small chuckle before the mail it back to me. I am just glad that they are all printed. Now I have to print the labels..and wait for the stamps to come in the mail. My sister had surgery and can't work..so she said that she will put them all together for me. Something else to check off of my list.

1. What is the proper wording for a wedding invitation?

The proper wording for a wedding invitation typically includes the names of the hosts, the couple getting married, the date and time, the location, and an RSVP date. You can also include any additional information, such as dress code or reception details, on a separate enclosure card.

2. How do I word the invitation if the couple is hosting their own wedding?

If the couple is hosting their own wedding, you can use phrases such as "together with their families" or "together with their parents" before listing their names. For example, "Together with their families, [Couple's names] request the pleasure of your company at their wedding."

3. Can I include registry information on the wedding invitation?

It is generally considered improper to include registry information on the wedding invitation. Instead, you can share this information with close family and friends who can then spread the word to other guests.

4. What is the proper way to list the names of the couple on the invitation?

The names of the couple should be listed in alphabetical order, with the bride's name coming first. Traditional wording also includes the full names of the couple, rather than just their first names.

5. Should I include the wedding website on the invitation?

While it is becoming more common to include a wedding website on the invitation, it is not necessary. If you do choose to include it, make sure to use a separate enclosure card or include it discreetly on the bottom corner of the invitation.

Back