• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Celebrating My Developmentally Disabled Daughter's 21st Birthday!

In summary, the parent of a developmentally disabled young adult is proud of her accomplishments and is sending out an announcement about it. Some people find the announcement depressing because it shows that the young adult will not be able to do things that most people take for granted.
cwinter474
Gold Member
I am the parent of a developmentally disabled young adult. She will be 21 this July.

Every year at this time we get questions from well meaning family and friends asking - when is she ever going to graduate? or what is she going to do with her life? or my favorite "What are you ever going to do with her?"

This year I have had enough. I am sending out the attached announcement.

Wondering how it reads to someone not attached to the situation.

thanks!

Carol

Attachments

• Graduation is only a concept.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 434
I think it's beautiful.

Awesome. I love it.

I love it too. It says what you want to say with stooping to sarcasm or negativity.

Good for you - taking the high road and being positive, and being proud of your daughter's accomplishments. Maybe this will help some of those making the negative comments to think before they speak again.

It reads like an beautiful announcement by proud parents of a awesome young lady! Congrats!

Thank you all for the kind words.
I thought I walked the edge of sarcasm just a bit.

Thought I might change this part, it seems odd to me - But I am not sure how to change it.

And so we are proud of
Kayla Nicole Winterland
today. For all that she has learned

Its like we are only proud of what she has learned today, not what she is or going to be able to learn in the furture. I know she isn't ever going to become the cat vet that she wants to be. But she isn't going to only be able to live in a adult care center either. She is to smart for that.

maybe "we are proud of Kayla Nicole Winterland today and everyday, for what she has allready learned and for all that she will continue to learn tomorrow" Because we know that this is just the beginning of her graduations"

?????????????? what do you think?:confused:

I would like to say, Kayla is doing the best she can do, leave her alone. or If you were more aware of whats going on in your own family... you'd know she isn't going to ever have the "normal" graduation. But I won't

"today and everyday. For all that she has learned and will continue to learn." It is wonderful though no matter what you might add! The feeling in your heart really comes through. Also, I know it has to be a painful thing to hear those things on an almost continual basis. You, however, can honestly say on a humanitarian level, they are certainly less intelligent than your daughter!

Thank you John

or you could say we are proud of her because every day is a graduation SHE DOESN'T TAKE FOR GRANTED! God bless you and your daughter for seeing the world thru different eyes that the rest of us take for granted every day!

Thanks Shelly, and to all of you that took time to respond

I think it's beautiful. Both versions.

I like that. The high school I was at had a group of kids who did attend until age 21, and they were always the stars of our commencement. No matter what they had been dealt in life, they were celebrating what they had done. Another thought, too, is that a commencement ceremony is to celebrate the beginning of what is to come, not only to celebrate what has been.

Thought I would post the "final" wording that my daughter, husband and I agreed on. -

Attachments

• GraduationG.doc
    20 KB · Views: 362
Love it! Good for you. Sorry you've had to deal with people like that. But you've handled it with grace and style. ;)Congrats.

That is beauitful... Continued blessings to your family and Congratulatins to Kayla! bravo young lady!!!

It made me cry. I think it is so wonderful that there are parents like you two out there. Strength is another thing you will have passed to your daughter. I assume you have been fighting this battle all her life. Sad to think that there are still such geez, how to say this nicely, DUMBA$*#* out there!

Thanks to you all, it's been a long 21yrs and many more to go, God willing!

@John, ya know I so wanted to add something very simular to what I am sure you were thinking into the annoucement, But.... It just wouldn't work :)

What is the most fustrating thing to me, there are 5 special education teachers, that have gotten their degrees in the last 6yrs in the immediate family, and NO ONE has every offered me a word of support, or encourgement. Not a one.

I appreciate each and everyone of you!!!

1. What are some ideas for a special birthday celebration for my developmentally disabled daughter's 21st birthday?

There are many ways to make your daughter's 21st birthday special! Some ideas include having a themed party, going out to a favorite restaurant, taking a trip to a nearby city or attraction, or having a small gathering with close friends and family.

2. How can I involve my daughter in the planning process for her birthday?

It's important to involve your daughter in the planning process to make sure her wishes and preferences are taken into account. You can ask her for ideas, show her different options, and let her make decisions about the activities or theme for her birthday celebration.

3. Are there any specific accommodations or considerations I should make for my daughter's disability during the birthday celebration?

It's important to consider your daughter's needs and make any necessary accommodations to ensure she can fully participate in the celebration. This could include accessibility for wheelchair users, sensory-friendly activities, or providing a quiet space for breaks if needed.

4. How can I make sure my daughter's friends and classmates are included in the celebration?

You can reach out to your daughter's school or program to see if they can help spread the word about her birthday and invite classmates and friends. You can also send out invitations or create a Facebook event to make sure everyone is aware and included.

5. Are there any resources or organizations that can help with planning a birthday celebration for a developmentally disabled individual?

Yes, there are many resources and organizations that can assist with planning a birthday celebration for a developmentally disabled individual. Some options include contacting local disability service agencies or reaching out to support groups for families of individuals with disabilities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Gina M
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • leslieprichett
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies