• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Convincing My Host to Sign up with Pampered Chef-Tips from Lia Sophia Sellers

In summary, the author suggests that if you want to convince Lia Sophia to sign on with PC, you should mention the benefits of the company (such as no credit card fees, no new fee every year, and host benefits). They also suggest that you should show her the catalog and let her make the decision.
minersmix
I have a host that was considering signing on with Lia Sophia but I am trying to convince her to sign on with PC. Has anyone sold Lia Sophia that may have some ideas of how to convince her? I am not very familiar with the company so I do not know what selling tips I can give her.

Way more people cook than wear jewelry!! I had considered doing a Lia Sophia show for a consultant I met but, very few people that I know really wear jewelry!! You are way more limited in people that are interested, my opinion of course! PC is a much more well known company. I have never sold it but those are just a few of my thoughts!

Just tell her about all of our benefits. Mention that we don't pay extra for host specials, we don't pay credit card fees, we don't pay a new fee every year to keep selling. I don't know if selling Lia Sophia means you have to do any of that, but let her know she may want to ask those questions. Someone who has never sold for DS companies may not know to even look for that information.

show her how to pack----A NOT SO HEAVY KIT TOO----I went to one on FRIDAY-----NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL---

I seem to be invited to jewelry parties ALL the time. I think the market is saturated for jewelry consultants, in my opinion. Not only are there several big companies (Lia Sophia, Silpada, Cookie Lee) but there are MANY people/companies out there who make their own jewelry. I of course am partial to PC and couldn't see myself being a consultant for anything else.:) From what I understand, the buy-in for jewelry businesses is quite a bit higher. The Lia Sophia party I just went to seemed to have really nice host benefits, but I have no idea if those are paid by the consultant or the company. Thats one thing for her to explore. I think their minimum sales requirements are more than PC. Just be sure she's looking at a variety of things to compare: initial investment, inventory requirements, minimum sales requirement, who pays for host benefits, who pays for credit card fees, and other details like that. I'm not positive about the inventory, but I'd be concerned that if I had to carry an inventory and items get discontinued, you'd likely have LOTS of jewelry left on your hands.

Those are just my two cents. Good luck!! personally I think jewelry would be the hardest market to get into and stay successful at just because there are SO many companies. I've had two hosts recently who sell jewelry and are very reluctant to consider PC even though they kind of want to because they've been disappointed in their jewelry businesses and how the bookings dried up pretty quickly.

I hope it all works out and you get yourself a new recruit!!:D

Don't forget to tell her what great training is available to all PC consultants.

I say instead of convincing her NOT to sell Lia Sophia, show her the benefits to PC. Invite & inform. That's really all that you can do. When you start trying to convince, you can come across as pushy. That's not something you want to do. Answer any questions that she has & let her do the talking. :)

Just my two cents.... But I have purchased some of the Lia Sophia jewelry and will NOT purchase from that company again. Silpada is another story, love their stuff!

I think (IMO) that their jewelry is overpriced for the quality (costume jewelry that is priced so they can offer the lifetime guarantee to their guests and pay their consultants). My skin turned green with both the necklace and the earrings that I purchased. When I opened the earrings and pulled the back off, they fell apart (the post from the earring)! Then I had to send them back, at my cost, and was not real happy with that either. I would not give this jewelry as a gift to anyone, again referring to the quality.

Good luck with your recruit lead, just show her the complete package and let her make the decision. I am sure PC will win out!

I pity the fool...
MrT2.jpg

...who carries more jewelry around than this guy wore.

One of my good friends just became a Lia Sophia consultant, but I don't know much about how they compare. I'm not much of a jewelry person, but I do like a few of their things. I know that a host gets any product under $100 in the catalog for free for hosting a show (min $250), but I don't know if that's out of the consultant's pocket or something the company offers. Also, they make 30% commission - but that's all I know.

I agree with some of the above posts...you just need to give her all the info on PC benefits and then let her decide for herself. She needs to be certain that she choose the company that SHE wants to represent. She may be a PC person, or she may be more of a jewlery person. Remember, just like a host, she will be more excited and determined if she is 100% behind the product and LOVES it herself! That is the most important part! If she signs just cuz she was "talked into it" more than likely she won't last.

JMHO

Oh...sorry, but I don't know anything about Lia Sophia as a company or their host benefits/inventory rules/etc... (Just to try and answer your original post!)

Last edited:
I have a friend who sells LS... before she signs, be sure she knows (and she should see it in writing... my friend wishes she had) what the monthly minimums are to stay active. They are CONSIDERABLY higher than ours. My friend relinquished her directorship one month after she promoted. And she is struggling beyond belief to get shows.

She just needs to be educated on both programs.

It's NOT your job to convince her. I'd lay out our consultant benefits and tell her to find out the same things from LS...

Commission and what that really means...
Who pays for host gifts.
Shipping charges...
past host discounts...
guarantees...
leave of absence... (they don't have anything like this FYI and if they say they do, they are lying)
retroactive waivers...
re-promotion periods...
earning free product samples...
trip requirements...

The list goes on but that should be a start.

Oh...yea...do they adjust commissions based on returns? Most DS companies do, PC does not! Thank you PC!

Other things to consider:
- cost of website
- cost of materials (catalogs, etc.)
- fees to accept credit cards. Especially important for jewelry, as people are more likely to want to use a credit card.
- cost of product samples. We're lucky in that many of us actually USE our samples in our own kitchens. But would she actually use all of the jewelry samples? Not to mention, I'd be nervous that my samples would "walk away" at shows, since people try them on.

Don't bad mouth other companies - keep your integrity!
crystalscookingnow said:
I say instead of convincing her NOT to sell Lia Sophia, show her the benefits to PC. Invite & inform. That's really all that you can do. When you start trying to convince, you can come across as pushy. That's not something you want to do. Answer any questions that she has & let her do the talking. :)
I agree totally! Stress the benefits of PC and don't go down the road of comparing companies...we all know that isn't a fair comparison as PC is AWESOME!:angel:

I attached a flyer that I may have picked up here...10 reasons to join PC, and another I just got from Director...comparing DS companies and questions to ask before signing. It is all about a good fit for the recruit/host so approach her as "have you thought about this" or "did you know..."
Hope this helps and let us know WHEN she signs with you! :D

FYI I just noticed a typo on my form...I mis-spelled "consultant" at the bottom...I did correct it just not on this file...

Attachments

• 10 Reason To Join PC.doc
    26.5 KB · Views: 458
  • comparing DSC questions.DOC
    27.5 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Missy,

Thank you for the documents - I'm definitely going to use them - I did notice a mistake on the Comparing DSC... document - start up is $155, not $115.

For me, I want to recruit those that truly want to sell PC, or at least REALLY want to try. I know of at least one other DSC that just pushes their consultants to recruit everyone, and then the recruits just fall off the face of the earth, some without ever doing a show. For me, that's way too frustrating, and I want people who are really going to try. I ask my fence-sitters, if they're trying to decide between 2 or more companies, "What is your passion?" Also, I ask them to start thinking of the bookings they're going to get to start their businesses. Most start out with family and friends. What are they interested in? Sex toys, candles, jewelry or kitchen products? Who are THEY going to invite so that you can expand your business outside the circle? I have one fence-sitter that's deciding between jewelry and PC, and even her own mother said that if she sold jewelry she wouldn't book a party, as the rest of the family and her friends aren't interested.

Good luck!

dianevill said:
Missy,

Thank you for the documents - I'm definitely going to use them - I did notice a mistake on the Comparing DSC... document - start up is $155, not $115.

Good luck!
Thanks! I think my ED means you can get for as low as $115...I literally just got it on Fri and haven't really had time to "make it mine". I also think she intended this to be used in an interview not really handed out.

Also, according to my director most of your team will be hobbyist (about 80% is what PC told her a while ago). The beauty of PC is you can just try it out and who knows where it will take you! Look at Nancy Jo Ryan...she was going to quit and look where she is today!

missyciccolella said:
Thanks! I think my ED means you can get for as low as $115...

I bet you're right - I didn't even think of the $40 credit - sorry! Wouldn't that be amazing to recruit someone like Nancy Jo? Better yet, wouldn't it be amazing if you were like Nancy Jo? LOL!

Make sure you mention the New Consultant Reward Program! It is unbelievable! Especially if she signs in December when they get the extra 30 days.

dianevill said:
Wouldn't that be amazing to recruit someone like Nancy Jo? Better yet, wouldn't it be amazing if you were like Nancy Jo? LOL!
AMEN! Dare to dream...but who knows!

Yesterday's host and her last guest to leave were talking about signing up for direct sales. My host wanted to know SOOOOOO much about the PC business during the party and I did answer questions, but she wanted more than what I was telling her (I can be such a tease sometimes!!!!:angel: )

Her friend wants to do Passion parties and was describing this PP rep that is trying to recruit both of them. (My host wants to do PC very bad and I want her to sign by the end of December...very bad!!!) They both complained how this rep was very overbearing and pushy. They loved how I mentioned being a consultant, but that I was relaxed about it. I tell people that I am interested in educating them about what a PC consultant does. I invite them to take the recruiting booklet home if they want to know what I do and even if they only intend on throwing it away. Perhaps someone they know could benefit from this information. I told both of them that they have to love the product they sell first and foremost. Never put down another direct sales company as others have said.

By the time I left, they were coming up with ideas on how to help each other in their new businesses if they did decide to sign.

baychef said:
Yesterday's host and her last guest to leave were talking about signing up for direct sales. My host wanted to know SOOOOOO much about the PC business during the party and I did answer questions, but she wanted more than what I was telling her (I can be such a tease sometimes!!!!:angel: )

Her friend wants to do Passion parties and was describing this PP rep that is trying to recruit both of them. (My host wants to do PC very bad and I want her to sign by the end of December...very bad!!!) They both complained how this rep was very overbearing and pushy. They loved how I mentioned being a consultant, but that I was relaxed about it. I tell people that I am interested in educating them about what a PC consultant does. I invite them to take the recruiting booklet home if they want to know what I do and even if they only intend on throwing it away. Perhaps someone they know could benefit from this information. I told both of them that they have to love the product they sell first and foremost. Never put down another direct sales company as others have said.

By the time I left, they were coming up with ideas on how to help each other in their new businesses if they did decide to sign.

Good job Ann!

dianevill said:

I bet you're right - I didn't even think of the $40 credit - sorry! Wouldn't that be amazing to recruit someone like Nancy Jo? Better yet, wouldn't it be amazing if you were like Nancy Jo? LOL!

I think Jillian is the one to watch nowadays!!!!

Thanks, Janet, now the follow up!!

Thank you everyone once again for all the great advice. I do not want to be pushy but am excited as this would be my first recruit. Missy thank you for the documents THEY ARE GREAT. Yesterday was a snow day for us, and my possible recruit works at school so I dropped off the DVD figuring she would have time to watch it.

Just to toss my 2 cents in:I am a former (technically still current) jewelry sales consultant for a company NOT mentioned above. ON PAPER ... the benefits look better than those of PC ... but appearances can be deceiving!• Commisson: 10 percent higher
• Product discount: WAY higher (70 percent)
• Opportunities to win free product at certain times of the year.
• Fabulous sales for customers (based on how much you bought) and great specials for hosts, who also earn a high percentage of free product.However, after 3 years in the business, I learned the downside:
• Sales WAY lower ... often you hear people say they "don't wear jewelry" or they make their own. I found that people saw jewelry as a luxury but PC as a necessary product that benefits them AND their family ... so they feel like they aren't just spending money on themselves.
• Incentives often unattainable ... you have to promote or sell thousands upon thousands of dollars in a short period of time to win a trip ... and free product promotions are often at a time of year when it's tough to get sales.
• High show minimum ... when I started it was $150 just like us ... but they hiked it by $100, which discourages people from having shows, forces us to hold shows open or combine shows, which gets confusing.
• TRENDY PRODUCT ... which means I paid $200 for a kit that includes only maybe 10 pieces still in circulation. The rest have been retired ... which forces you to sponsor your own parties to earn free product ... which also gets retired, now twice a year!In short ... I would recommend selling a product that you a) love and b) that your friends, family and loved ones will enthusiastically support!If she DOES want to sell jewelry ... I have a lovely rolling tote that I will gladly sell her for what I paid for it, plus shipping! WISH I could fit my bar pain and batter bowl in it, but ....

Does anyone know why jewelry companies have their consultants pay a
re-certification fee every year?? Some it don't even come with jewelry.

Kelly V.

This is one company I do have issues with. I had hosted a catalog show and have been to a few parties where I have bought a several pieces. I had about 5-6 pieces between my daughter and I that had broken or tarnish and I brought them to the next show with the consultant who I purchased them from. One piece broke the first time I put the stretchy bracelet on. Another friend of mine brought her broken pieces too, and we were told there was a return policy, however, like previously stated, it would cost me $5.00 a piece to return, and some of the items they no longer sold, so we would have to get credit.

So much for life time warranty or any warranty. I don't believe this is good practice, if something breaks the company should stand behind it, especially if quoted as lifetime warranty. I would not had minded paying $5.00 for all pieces, but per piece, that's another issue-you spend enough on this costume jewelry to begin with and then to have to spend more for broken items-just isn't worth it to me. I just don't attend them anymore. . . .

My jewelry company didn't require a fee.

Also ... with returns, ... you do have to pay shipping ... but not per piece! If it's all sent in the same envelope, one $6 check would cover it all. I frequently sent three return pieces at one time.

1. How can I convince my host to sign up with Pampered Chef?

First and foremost, highlight the benefits of becoming a Pampered Chef consultant. This includes earning discounts on products, the ability to work from home, and the opportunity to host parties and events. You can also offer to assist your host in setting up their business and provide ongoing support.

2. What makes Pampered Chef different from other direct sales companies like Lia Sophia?

Pampered Chef is unique in that we offer a wide range of high-quality kitchen products that are both practical and innovative. Our consultants also have the opportunity to earn a generous commission and can earn free products through our host rewards program. Additionally, Pampered Chef has a strong emphasis on giving back to the community through our Round-Up from the Heart program.

3. Is there a cost to sign up as a Pampered Chef consultant?

Yes, there is a one-time fee of $109 to become a Pampered Chef consultant. This includes your starter kit, which is valued at over $450 and contains all the tools and resources you need to get started. You can also choose to upgrade to a deluxe kit for an additional $60, which includes even more products.

4. What kind of support and training does Pampered Chef offer for new consultants?

Pampered Chef provides extensive training and support for all our consultants, regardless of their level of experience. This includes online training and resources, live webinars and meetings, and one-on-one coaching from our experienced leaders. We also have a strong community of consultants who are always willing to share their tips and advice.

5. Can my host still earn host rewards if they sign up as a consultant?

Yes, they can! When your host signs up as a consultant, they will receive both the host rewards for their party, as well as the commission on their own sales. This is a great way for them to get a head start on their business and earn even more free products to use and share with others.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• letscook04
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
tiffanypc05
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • pamperedbecky
  • General Chat
Replies