New Taffy Apple Tartlets

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by KellyTheChef, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KellyTheChef

KellyTheChef Gold Member

Well...I made these yesterday for our TEAM meeting. They were good...would make a good demo recipe, but I thought they needed more APPLES! You could hardly tell that they were in there! It calls for two granny smiths, and that's what I used. They were each about 8 oz. Next time I will defiantely double that if they are the same size apples. I also ran out of the filling...I was using a level "small scoop" and by the last 5 or so had to ration the filling. The last one didn't get any filling at all...so I just added some extra caramel butterscotch to that one and had to eat it myself! lol

Oh. And I couldn't find the jar of peanuts that I bought for the topping. (You know, the tall Planter's jars...) and figured out that DH had eaten THEM ALL in this past week since I bought them!! lol No peanut topping for us!

2. pampered.chris

pampered.chris Gold Member

I had these for my open house. My DD made them, she is 11 and currently wants to be a pastry chef, so I figured this would be a good recipe for her to make them with. Everyone LOVED them. But I too thought more apples. In my opinion they do not hold a candle to the Taffy Apple Pizza but they were still very yummy.

3. I agree completely, you could hardly tell there were apples in there. And if you eat them too soon you will burn your tastebuds off, but if you wait to long you will chip a tooth on how hard the caramel gets when it cools, I am definitly gonna modify this recipe! Glad its not just me. Oh on a side note the Satay Chicken Pasta is the best!

4. pamperedlinda

pamperedlinda Gold Member

I made them for my party at my house last night and I didn't love them. They were okay, but I agree, not enough apple taste in them. I had enough filling for mine - I used the small scoop to fill them. I also thought that they were too chewy and the caramel stuck to my teeth. Plus, I forgot the peanuts! I had them all chopped and ready to go then forgot to put them on. That might have helped. On a scale of 10 - I give them a 6. No WOW factor for me.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  5. Thanks for the suggestions! I am making these today to take to a neighbor's house for a BBQ they invited us to, so I will definitely double the apples. I tasted them at our big fall kick off meeting and they were ok I thought. But, it's an easy transportable recipe for me to take today that the kids will like.

6. pamperedlinda

pamperedlinda Gold Member

Agreed! It was a big hit. Everyone loved the Rum Cake too.

7. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Gold Member

I must have had larger apples because they were AWESOME and just perfect. Everyone raved about them - and I still get comments on how good they were and that they can't wait to make them themselves. Amount of filling was perfect too.

8. KellyTheChef

KellyTheChef Gold Member

I agree, too, about the caramel getting hard once they are cooled. I think if I was going to make these for something where I knew they would be eaten once cooled, I would omit the caramel piece at the bottom. It gets hard once cooled. So, Becky...you may want to add extra apples and delete the caramel squares!!

9. KellyTheChef

KellyTheChef Gold Member

I was saying to one of my cluster mates that the recipe may have been written better if they called for X cups of chopped apples, rather than just "two granny smiths" since they can vary in size so much. Glad yours turned out so well. I WILL offer this as a demo recipe, though...cuz I liked it and it was EASY to do!

10. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Gold Member

I would not delete the caramels - they aren't that big a piece and even cold it's a nice addition to the texture (better warm though, I do agree).

11. raebates

raebates CS Leader Staff Member

I wonder if the little carmel bits would be better. They'd be a bit smaller than 1/2 Kraft Carmel. I may have to try that out--in the interest of research, of course. ;)

12. KellyTheChef

KellyTheChef Gold Member

I have some of those in my pantry! They would probably be good mixed IN with the filling...so some parts would be chewy and some parts more gooey!

Rae...let me know what you find out. In the interest of research, of course!

13. Could you add the carmel just as they come out of the oven, like ontop of the apples, or pull them out, put carmel on, and pop them back in for 2-3 more minutes until carmel melts? Then the carmel wouldn't get too hot and cool to that tooth breaking texture. Idea. The carmel would be on top, but at least it wouldn't get hard like that. Just thoughts...

14. byrd1956

byrd1956 Gold Member

Made them at a cooking evening @ my directore. We put in 4 apples and had way too much so the cups were really full. They tasted great! Thought we could make big tartlets in the stoneware muffin pan!

15. raebates

My use of the word "little" may have been misleading. The carmel bits are actually balls of carmel about 1/4 the size of a Kraft Carmel. I don't think I'd mix them into the filling. That would defeat the purpose, which is to have chewy carmel in each tartlet.

Stephanie, the carmel they're talking about is the 1/2 Kraft Carmel that you put in the bottom of each tartlet. There is carmel topping mixed into the apples as well as drizzled on top. The 1/2 carmel is put in before the carmel topping/apple mixture, then they're baked. Nothing will keep them from being too hot just out of the oven.

I'm puttering around the house today so, purely in the interest of research (and using up a couple of apples I had lying around), I made a batch using 1/4 Kraft Carmel. In a rare display of restraint, I waited until they were completely cooled. No tooth breakage! The carmel is chewy, but not hard.

16. That was the carmel I was talking about. If carmel gets too hot it does go into more of a toffee temp. and it will get hard. Especially if they don't have the larger apples. LOL.

17. Oh this is disappointing to me! I love Granny Smiths and I love caramel!
    If you put more apples, it should take care of the filling issue.

I'm still going to have to try these out and see how I like them. They were the recipe I was most looking forward to!

18. pampchefsarah

pampchefsarah Gold Member

I made these for our team meeting last week, too. Here are a couple of my thoughts:

Some of you liked the caramel on the bottom, but I couldn't taste it, and found it gratuitous, especially since you have to go through the trouble of unwrapping and cutting all those candies in half.

Since so many people (especially children) are allergic to peanuts, I would recommend using the Caramel Sprinkles on top, instead. Especially for a Show or other event where you don't know everyone. Or, the Cinnamon Sprinkles to make more of an apple pie taste. I haven't tried making the tartlets this way yet, but we know our products, and I'm sure they'd be delicious substitutions.

I used three apples (because I have no idea what is considered a 'medium,' and the ones at the store seemed small to me). I actually had filling left over (could have made another few tartlets!), so I would go with three apples again, just to be safe.

To transport the tartlets to the meeting I used the Chillzanne Rectangular Server (without the chilling part, of course), and arrived at our AD's house about an hour later. The tarts were still warm, and everyone loved them.

I really like the filling, and want to try this is an easy pie, using Cinnamon Plus, and maybe sprinkles on the top crust. However, it would go to waste in my family, so I'll have to wait for another meeting or event where I have captive taste testers!

19. I ended up making them yesterday to take to a neighbor's house and they turned out perfectly. I did about 3 medium granny smith apples and maybe just a touch more caramel sauce. THere was a little bit of filling left over, but I was happy it filled the cups a perfect amount. Yum!

20. raebates

Gotcha. That makes sense.

21. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Gold Member

I have found that the Werther's caramels are softer than Kraft. They work much better in recipes like this.

22. Ginger428

Ginger428 Gold Member

thats good to know...Thanks!

23. Hooray! Thanks for that info! You rock!

24. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Gold Member

Just don't grab the Werther's hard candies by mistake! (not saying that I did...but just a warning, you know.....:eek:;))

25. Yea, because not only would you rock, but my tarts would be rocks! Haaa!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.