• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

New Taffy Apple Tartlets Recipe: Deliciously Tart and Sweet Dessert with a Twist

In summary, there was a disagreement about how the recipe turned out, with some people thinking that it needed more apples and the caramel getting hard once cooled. Suggestions were given to modify the recipe, such as doubling the apples and omitting the caramel square. Others reported that their recipe turned out well, with the amount of filling being perfect and the dish receiving rave reviews.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
Well...I made these yesterday for our TEAM meeting. They were good...would make a good demo recipe, but I thought they needed more APPLES! You could hardly tell that they were in there! It calls for two granny smiths, and that's what I used. They were each about 8 oz. Next time I will defiantely double that if they are the same size apples. I also ran out of the filling...I was using a level "small scoop" and by the last 5 or so had to ration the filling. The last one didn't get any filling at all...so I just added some extra caramel butterscotch to that one and had to eat it myself! lol

Oh. And I couldn't find the jar of peanuts that I bought for the topping. (You know, the tall Planter's jars...) and figured out that DH had eaten THEM ALL in this past week since I bought them!! lol No peanut topping for us!

I had these for my open house. My DD made them, she is 11 and currently wants to be a pastry chef, so I figured this would be a good recipe for her to make them with. Everyone LOVED them. But I too thought more apples. In my opinion they do not hold a candle to the Taffy Apple Pizza but they were still very yummy.

I agree completely, you could hardly tell there were apples in there. And if you eat them too soon you will burn your tastebuds off, but if you wait to long you will chip a tooth on how hard the caramel gets when it cools, I am definitly gonna modify this recipe! Glad its not just me. Oh on a side note the Satay Chicken Pasta is the best!

I made them for my party at my house last night and I didn't love them. They were okay, but I agree, not enough apple taste in them. I had enough filling for mine - I used the small scoop to fill them. I also thought that they were too chewy and the caramel stuck to my teeth. Plus, I forgot the peanuts! I had them all chopped and ready to go then forgot to put them on. That might have helped. On a scale of 10 - I give them a 6. No WOW factor for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions! I am making these today to take to a neighbor's house for a BBQ they invited us to, so I will definitely double the apples. I tasted them at our big fall kick off meeting and they were ok I thought. But, it's an easy transportable recipe for me to take today that the kids will like.

TammyStar said:
I agree completely, you could hardly tell there were apples in there. And if you eat them too soon you will burn your tastebuds off, but if you wait to long you will chip a tooth on how hard the caramel gets when it cools, I am definitly gonna modify this recipe! Glad its not just me. Oh on a side note the Satay Chicken Pasta is the best!

Agreed! It was a big hit. Everyone loved the Rum Cake too.

I must have had larger apples because they were AWESOME and just perfect. Everyone raved about them - and I still get comments on how good they were and that they can't wait to make them themselves. Amount of filling was perfect too.

I agree, too, about the caramel getting hard once they are cooled. I think if I was going to make these for something where I knew they would be eaten once cooled, I would omit the caramel piece at the bottom. It gets hard once cooled. So, Becky...you may want to add extra apples and delete the caramel squares!!

BethCooks4U said:
I must have had larger apples because they were AWESOME and just perfect. Everyone raved about them - and I still get comments on how good they were and that they can't wait to make them themselves. Amount of filling was perfect too.

I was saying to one of my cluster mates that the recipe may have been written better if they called for X cups of chopped apples, rather than just "two granny smiths" since they can vary in size so much. Glad yours turned out so well. I WILL offer this as a demo recipe, though...cuz I liked it and it was EASY to do!

KellyTheChef said:
I agree, too, about the caramel getting hard once they are cooled. I think if I was going to make these for something where I knew they would be eaten once cooled, I would omit the caramel piece at the bottom. It gets hard once cooled. So, Becky...you may want to add extra apples and delete the caramel squares!!

I would not delete the caramels - they aren't that big a piece and even cold it's a nice addition to the texture (better warm though, I do agree).

I wonder if the little carmel bits would be better. They'd be a bit smaller than 1/2 Kraft Carmel. I may have to try that out--in the interest of research, of course. ;)

raebates said:
I wonder if the little carmel bits would be better. They'd be a bit smaller than 1/2 Kraft Carmel. I may have to try that out--in the interest of research, of course. ;)

I have some of those in my pantry! They would probably be good mixed IN with the filling...so some parts would be chewy and some parts more gooey!

Rae...let me know what you find out. In the interest of research, of course!

Could you add the carmel just as they come out of the oven, like ontop of the apples, or pull them out, put carmel on, and pop them back in for 2-3 more minutes until carmel melts? Then the carmel wouldn't get too hot and cool to that tooth breaking texture. Idea. The carmel would be on top, but at least it wouldn't get hard like that. Just thoughts...

Made them at a cooking evening @ my directore. We put in 4 apples and had way too much so the cups were really full. They tasted great! Thought we could make big tartlets in the stoneware muffin pan!

My use of the word "little" may have been misleading. The carmel bits are actually balls of carmel about 1/4 the size of a Kraft Carmel. I don't think I'd mix them into the filling. That would defeat the purpose, which is to have chewy carmel in each tartlet. Stephanie, the carmel they're talking about is the 1/2 Kraft Carmel that you put in the bottom of each tartlet. There is carmel topping mixed into the apples as well as drizzled on top. The 1/2 carmel is put in before the carmel topping/apple mixture, then they're baked. Nothing will keep them from being too hot just out of the oven. I'm puttering around the house today so, purely in the interest of research (and using up a couple of apples I had lying around), I made a batch using 1/4 Kraft Carmel. In a rare display of restraint, I waited until they were completely cooled. No tooth breakage! The carmel is chewy, but not hard.

My use of the word "little" may have been misleading. The carmel bits are actually balls of carmel about 1/4 the size of a Kraft Carmel. I don't think I'd mix them into the filling. That would defeat the purpose, which is to have chewy carmel in each tartlet.

Stephanie, the carmel they're talking about is the 1/2 Kraft Carmel that you put in the bottom of each tartlet. There is carmel topping mixed into the apples as well as drizzled on top. The 1/2 carmel is put in before the carmel topping/apple mixture, then they're baked. Nothing will keep them from being too hot just out of the oven.

I'm puttering around the house today so, purely in the interest of research (and using up a couple of apples I had lying around), I made a batch using 1/4 Kraft Carmel. In a rare display of restraint, I waited until they were completely cooled. No tooth breakage! The carmel is chewy, but not hard.

raebates said:
My use of the word "little" may have been misleading. The carmel bits are actually balls of carmel about 1/4 the size of a Kraft Carmel. I don't think I'd mix them into the filling. That would defeat the purpose, which is to have chewy carmel in each tartlet.

Stephanie, the carmel they're talking about is the 1/2 Kraft Carmel that you put in the bottom of each tartlet. There is carmel topping mixed into the apples as well as drizzled on top. The 1/2 carmel is put in before the carmel topping/apple mixture, then they're baked. Nothing will keep them from being too hot just out of the oven.

I'm puttering around the house today so, purely in the interest of research (and using up a couple of apples I had lying around), I made a batch using 1/4 Kraft Carmel. In a rare display of restraint, I waited until they were completely cooled. No tooth breakage! The carmel is chewy, but not hard.

That was the carmel I was talking about. If carmel gets too hot it does go into more of a toffee temp. and it will get hard. Especially if they don't have the larger apples. LOL.

Oh this is disappointing to me! I love Granny Smiths and I love caramel!
If you put more apples, it should take care of the filling issue.I'm still going to have to try these out and see how I like them. They were the recipe I was most looking forward to!

I made these for our team meeting last week, too. Here are a couple of my thoughts:

Some of you liked the caramel on the bottom, but I couldn't taste it, and found it gratuitous, especially since you have to go through the trouble of unwrapping and cutting all those candies in half.

Since so many people (especially children) are allergic to peanuts, I would recommend using the Caramel Sprinkles on top, instead. Especially for a Show or other event where you don't know everyone. Or, the Cinnamon Sprinkles to make more of an apple pie taste. I haven't tried making the tartlets this way yet, but we know our products, and I'm sure they'd be delicious substitutions.

I used three apples (because I have no idea what is considered a 'medium,' and the ones at the store seemed small to me). I actually had filling left over (could have made another few tartlets!), so I would go with three apples again, just to be safe.

To transport the tartlets to the meeting I used the Chillzanne Rectangular Server (without the chilling part, of course), and arrived at our AD's house about an hour later. The tarts were still warm, and everyone loved them.

I really like the filling, and want to try this is an easy pie, using Cinnamon Plus, and maybe sprinkles on the top crust. However, it would go to waste in my family, so I'll have to wait for another meeting or event where I have captive taste testers!

I ended up making them yesterday to take to a neighbor's house and they turned out perfectly. I did about 3 medium granny smith apples and maybe just a touch more caramel sauce. THere was a little bit of filling left over, but I was happy it filled the cups a perfect amount. Yum!

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
That was the carmel I was talking about. If carmel gets too hot it does go into more of a toffee temp. and it will get hard. Especially if they don't have the larger apples. LOL.

Gotcha. That makes sense.

I have found that the Werther's caramels are softer than Kraft. They work much better in recipes like this.

ChefBeckyD said:
I have found that the Werther's caramels are softer than Kraft. They work much better in recipes like this.

thats good to know...Thanks!

ChefBeckyD said:

Hooray! Thanks for that info! You rock!

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
Hooray! Thanks for that info! You rock!

Just don't grab the Werther's hard candies by mistake! (not saying that I did...but just a warning, you know.....:eek:;))

ChefBeckyD said:
Just don't grab the Werther's hard candies by mistake! (not saying that I did...but just a warning, you know.....:eek:;))

Yea, because not only would you rock, but my tarts would be rocks! Haaa!

Had these and couldn't stop popping them in my mouth!! Used Werthers and they were awesome going to make them for my Open House in Oct.

ChefBeckyD said:

Of course I'm thinking of making them for tonights meeting & checked what I have & they're Kraft!! :cry:

ChefBeckyD said:

So..... did you still use 1/2 of a Werther caramel in the bottom?

~G

PCGINA said:
So..... did you still use 1/2 of a Werther caramel in the bottom?

~G
Yes.....they are also easier to cut!

Now I am going to have to try this out!! I may have to have DH stop and get the stuff that I need on the way in from work!

I made these yesterday and I felt cinnamon was missing. Anyone else feel that way too?

MMmmm... never thought of that! A teaspoon or so of our cinnamon or cin plus would make a great addition!

KellyTheChef said:
MMmmm... never thought of that! A teaspoon or so of our cinnamon or cin plus would make a great addition!

Oh, yeah! I have the Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkles. Next time I will try that.

I have read and heard mixed comments about these. Yesterday we made them. We used 2 Granny Smith apples. They were a HUGE success!!! Actually we had extra filling. I think the size of the apple may play a big factor in making this. One individual commented that cinnamon was missing, but then again a carmel/taffy apple wouldn't have cinnamon. Good idea regarding the peanuts though...I was planning on putting them into an open house set up!

the recipe may have been written better if they called for X cups of chopped apples, rather than just "two granny smiths" since they can vary in size so much.

I thought this too, when I was making them. It should read "x cups of chopped apple ( about 2 medium)".

I had trouble finding "butterscotch caramel sauce". There was either butterscotch, or caramel, but nothing marked butterscotch caramel. I used butterscotch.

What about using the marzetta carmel apple dip (a spoonful) instead of carmel squares? Just an idea??

heat123 said:
What about using the marzetta carmel apple dip (a spoonful) instead of carmel squares? Just an idea??

If you were gonna eat them warm, I think that would ooze out a lot. If you were going to serve them completely cooled, it would be yummy! (Not that oozy caramel is a bad thing, though!! lol)

KellyTheChef said:
If you were gonna eat them warm, I think that would ooze out a lot. If you were going to serve them completely cooled, it would be yummy! (Not that oozy caramel is a bad thing, though!! lol)

I think next time, I may just "try it" at home and see how "oozy" they are lol:p!

kspry said:
I thought this too, when I was making them. It should read "x cups of chopped apple ( about 2 medium)".

I had trouble finding "butterscotch caramel sauce". There was either butterscotch, or caramel, but nothing marked butterscotch caramel. I used butterscotch.

I only found one brand -- Mrs. Richardson's Butterscotch Caramel sauce, in the exact same size jar listed in the recipe. My guess is that's the one they used in the test kitchens.

leftymac said:
I only found one brand -- Mrs. Richardson's Butterscotch Caramel sauce, in the exact same size jar listed in the recipe. My guess is that's the one they used in the test kitchens.

As soon as I saw it I thought the same thing! :) It was the ONLY brand in my store that was Caramel and Butterscotch.

leftymac said:

I had a very hard time finding it...and when I did, it was that brand!!

I bought some butterscotch caramel topping just a few days ago...planning on making these soon (I hope!). I found one that was by Smucker's, called "Special Recipe." Lucked out, I guess! I wonder if that flavor is a limited-time-only kind of thing.

I only found the carmel flavor and it still turned out good! I like them and the brach's caramels were nice and soft not hard and chewy!

I used Caramel Topping, and it worked well.

DessertDivaFL said:
I made these yesterday and I felt cinnamon was missing. Anyone else feel that way too?

Yes, I just made these and they need cinnamon!

I made them and LOVED them. Had lots of people raving over them. I did not add the peanuts, just didn't think they went well with the recipe, but I did add just a dash of cinnamon.

They have the peanuts and no cinnamon because caramel apples don't have cinnamon and are often rolled in peanuts. I always tell people they taste like caramel apples so they won't be expecting an apple pie taste.BTW, The Furry Guy suggested substituting cashews for those who don't care for peanuts.

raebates said:
They have the peanuts and no cinnamon because caramel apples don't have cinnamon and are often rolled in peanuts. I always tell people they taste like caramel apples so they won't be expecting an apple pie taste.

BTW, The Furry Guy suggested substituting cashews for those who don't care for peanuts.

I did a practice run of these on Sunday evening and (after reading this thread!) made half with the chopped peanuts and the other half with Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkle instead. I have to say that they were BOTH very good, but for my taste the cinnamon ones definitely were my favorite. I think if/when I demo these at shows in the future, I will offer to do half and half so people can try them both ways and see just how flexible PC recipes really are. A lot of times customers start thinking that you have to follow the recipe exactly, but we can substitute so many things to change them up and make them different.

Oh, yeah, I often talk about the many ways you can change up PC recipes. I love their versatility.

pamperedlinda said:
I made them for my party at my house last night and I didn't love them. They were okay, but I agree, not enough apple taste in them. I had enough filling for mine - I used the small scoop to fill them. I also thought that they were too chewy and the caramel stuck to my teeth. Plus, I forgot the peanuts! I had them all chopped and ready to go then forgot to put them on. That might have helped. On a scale of 10 - I give them a 6. No WOW factor for me.

I've made them 3-4 times too.. I've not had a problem I did not find carmel candy for the recipie, but did find camel pieces work better than the carmel chunks.

<h2>1. How many apples should I use in the taffy apple tartlets recipe?</h2><p>The recipe calls for 2 granny smith apples, but it may be necessary to add more if they are smaller in size. Doubling the amount of apples is recommended for a more prominent apple flavor.</p><h2>2. Can this recipe be used for a Pampered Chef demonstration?</h2><p>Yes, this recipe would make a great demo recipe for Pampered Chef. It is easy to make and has a unique twist on a classic dessert.</p><h2>3. Is there enough filling for the taffy apple tartlets?</h2><p>The recipe calls for a small scoop to measure out the filling, but it may be necessary to ration the filling towards the end if using this method. It is recommended to have extra filling on hand, or to use a larger scoop to ensure each tartlet has enough filling.</p><h2>4. Can I substitute the peanuts for another topping?</h2><p>Yes, you can use any topping you prefer for the taffy apple tartlets. Some suggestions could be crushed graham crackers, chopped walnuts, or even a drizzle of chocolate sauce.</p><h2>5. Can I make any modifications to the recipe?</h2><p>Yes, feel free to make any modifications to suit your personal taste. You can add more apples, use a different type of nut for the topping, or even add more caramel or butterscotch for a sweeter flavor.</p>

1. How many apples should I use in the taffy apple tartlets recipe?

The recipe calls for 2 granny smith apples, but it may be necessary to add more if they are smaller in size. Doubling the amount of apples is recommended for a more prominent apple flavor.

2. Can this recipe be used for a Pampered Chef demonstration?

Yes, this recipe would make a great demo recipe for Pampered Chef. It is easy to make and has a unique twist on a classic dessert.

3. Is there enough filling for the taffy apple tartlets?

The recipe calls for a small scoop to measure out the filling, but it may be necessary to ration the filling towards the end if using this method. It is recommended to have extra filling on hand, or to use a larger scoop to ensure each tartlet has enough filling.

4. Can I substitute the peanuts for another topping?

Yes, you can use any topping you prefer for the taffy apple tartlets. Some suggestions could be crushed graham crackers, chopped walnuts, or even a drizzle of chocolate sauce.

5. Can I make any modifications to the recipe?

Yes, feel free to make any modifications to suit your personal taste. You can add more apples, use a different type of nut for the topping, or even add more caramel or butterscotch for a sweeter flavor.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
dianag
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies
Views
crystalscookingnow
Replies
Views