New Season's Best Recipes: Critiques

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by pchockeymom, Aug 6, 2012.

1. pchockeymom

pchockeymom

I made the Fajita Bites at our team meeting tonight. HUGE HIT!! Absolutely delish, easy to make, great demo for a show. And the filling is so versatile, we discussed so many things you could put it on and in. Love this recipe.

So what other recipes have you all tried. Like? Hate? Easy? Difficult?

2. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Gold Member

We had Easy Pasta Cabanara for dinner tonight. YUMMY!! Sooo good. Very easy to make.

3. pattybrady

pattybrady

Made The Big Enchilada last night for dinner, had leftovers for lunch today. Absolutely delicious, and would be a great show recipe! Only thing I did differently was substitute a can of black beans for the can of corn--corn in an enchilada sounded gross to me.

4. flemings99

flemings99 Gold Member

Orange blossoms were great! Was afraid the pan would be hard to clean after putting the glaze on, but it was a snap to clean.

Pasta carbonara was good. Wouldn't make it for a show.

5. Brenda.the.chef

Brenda.the.chef Gold Member

I've only made the German Chocolate Cake... OMGoodness! It's so good and so rich! A little bite goes a long ways. Great hands on demo (just like they did at launch)

6. katem51

katem51

I made the chicken parmesan soup for dinner last night. We loved it.

I didn't have the Garlic and Herb rub so I used Chive & Tarragon seasoning. It was really good. But once I get my hands on some Garlic Herb rub, I will try it that way.

7. chefliz

chefliz Gold Member

:eek: That Peanut Butter Cookie Bark is so delicious my husband has threatened me NOT to make it any more! I have been taking it to pamper businesses and we usually eat the small amount that is left over---lol He says it is dangerous!

8. Teresa Lynn

Teresa Lynn Gold Member

lava cake was good
    we had the chicken parm soup did not liek it at all ended up eating something else and throwing it away and I followed the recipe exactly (with that said though in 18+ years of selling there are only about 5 PC recipes we like & we are not picky)

9. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Gold Member

You only like 5 recipes in 18 years? WOW. There are plenty we don't like (mostly because of ingredients like mushrooms or coconut...) but have loved so many more of them.

10. maldvs

maldvs

I made the Sweet n Salty Caramel Bites yesterday for Team Training and they were a hit.

We also made the German Choc Lava Cake (I didn't try because I don't do coconut) but everyone said it was delish. We doubled the recipe and made in the DCB.

11. Daron

Daron

Made the Fajita Bites last night on the grill using the BBQ roasting pan and made some with steak (used Steak-Ums, if you consider that steak). Worked nicely and everyone loved them. Quick, easy.

12. chefsteph07

chefsteph07

At our meeting on Tues we had the chicken parm soup-omg how anyone could NOT like this is beyond me! I could have eaten the whole baker's worth! Also the carbonara pasta was there and that was good too!!

13. KristinB1023

KristinB1023

I made 2 batches of the caramel mousse cups right after I got home from Fall Launch and they were great! The only critique I have is that I made the first batch with the manual food processor and the second batch with the food chopper and found that the food chopper got the pretzels chopped much smaller than the processor. Otherwise, I'm glad I made two batches because my boyfriend and I ate the first and I got a catalog show at my hair salon when I brought the second batch in the next day! :)

14. flemings99

flemings99 Gold Member

Easy enchilada last night for dinner. We liked it. Didn't quite meet in the middle so just used an extra tortilla cut in half to cover the hole. Used red pepper instead of green and couldn't find my chipotle rub so used the chili lime instead. lol. Otherwise, made as directed.

15. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Silver Member

Why wouldn't you do the Carbonara for a show, katem51?

16. carlajanes

carlajanes Gold Member

My husband and I do not like chicken in a marinara sauce....i.e. chicken parm.....so i substituted beef....very tasty

17. Daron

Daron

Any suggestions for making the fajita bites vegetarian, what would you replace the chicken with?

18. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Silver Member

Cheese, but that doesn't make them vegan.

19. tiggerhale

tiggerhale Gold Member

You sound just like me with your 'substitutions' LOL!

20. esavvymom

esavvymom CS Leader Staff Member

I made the Bacon & Artichoke Squares last night for a show. OMG...there were four of us, and we ate half of it...actually only three eating it because host is avoiding bread. It was delicious and super easy! They all asked for the recipe.

Definitely loved it. I will be trying others this week, as I bought the ingredients I would need.

21. PamperedinConshy

PamperedinConshy

I took your advice last night and made it with the black beans. AMAZING. I really loved it.

Might be a bit too spicy for a show though - many people are sensitive to spices.

22. dme.grant

dme.grant

I've done the orange blossom cakes, the no-knead bread, and the carbonara. The cakes were amazing! I will add way more seasoning to the bread next time I make it because you can't really taste it in the finished product. I used the garlic and herb rub. Also, it only took about 3 hours to rise, but it has been pretty humid here, so keep an eye on it. I wasn't a huge fan of the carbonara, I think it was a little soupy and I actually used less of the stock than called for in the recipe. My husband liked it though, because it's healthier than my regular carbonara. All in all, I'm liking these recipes and I love that they have color pictures with them now!!!

23. bcowdin

bcowdin

I made The Big Enchilada. My tortillas didn't quite meet in the middle, either. It got browned pretty quickly (I left out the egg). I wish I had substituted beans for corn....it seemed like a LOT of corn. I found mine to be kind of tough on the bottom. I wonder if putting some sauce on the bottom, rather than the oil, might have helped. I also wonder if it would be hard to cut it into small enough pieces for a show.

I also tried the Bacon and Artichoke Squares. My husband liked them a lot. I found them to be kind of bland (maybe because I don't love Swiss cheese).

24. ShellBeach

ShellBeach

Thanks for both the good & bad reviews. Not sure if this is true for Teresa Lynn, but there are just SO many recipes that use prepared foods, and while the end result is tasty, I do not like the recipes overall because of that reason. It seemed like every SB had recipes using croissant tube dough & Cool Whip for many, many years.

25. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Gold Member

I made the Fajita Chicken Bites for my sister's party tonight and they were fantastic! You can show off the DCB by baking the chicken and I used the large bar pan instead of the round stone with handles. It makes a great show recipe and would do great for a hands-on demo.