• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

John's Perfect Rice Cooker Method: 1 Rice, 2 Water, 5 High, 15 on 50, Sits 10

In summary, the Rice Cooker Plus is an awesome tool that can be used for many things other than just making rice. The directions on the box are useful for most things, but it is helpful to have the instructions for the specific type of rice that you are cooking.
DebPC
Staff member
Originally sent to me by John Watschke-

I used it yesterday to make the Thia Chicken Stir-Fry with Rice. WOW!

That thing is awesome!

I did find something rather disconcerting though. Not with the Rice Cooker but with the rice itself. Not all rice bags come with the microwave instructions.

So, here is something I came up with to remember how it goes. It seems to be universal from what I could tell from the 4 or 5 boxes of rice that did have the micro instructions on them.

Here goes:

1 rice, 2 water, 5 high, 15 on 50, sits 10.

1 cup rice to 2 cups water. Cook on high for 5 minutes. Cook 15 minutes on 50% power. Then let it sit for 10 minutes before opening. It came out perfect!

Love, Love, Love it...I was not going to get the Rice Cooker Plus until one of my favorite hosts mentioned that she wanted to see it work at her show....so, I bought it. And it was a great decision b/c I love, love, love it! :D

I have an electric rice cooker and didn't think that a microwavable rice cooker would be an improvement, but I was WRONG! The rice came out fluffier and I didn't have to deal with a bulky rice cooker, etc. Additionally, I tried making Uncle Ben's Wild Rice in it b/c I can't seem to get all of the water cooked out when I do it over the stovetop....andit turned out BEAUTIFULLY!!!!

P.S.
I stumbled across this site b/c I couldn't find what I was looking for on the Pampered Chef website for practical support & answers...a GREAT site!!!! Thanks.

Maria

More Rice Cooker QuestionsCan you cook something like Rice-A-Roni in the Rice Cooker? I'm not much on rice but my husband-to-be loves it, and he could actually use the Rice Cooker. Just checking. Thanks.

I have used it to make all kinds of things besides rice....anything that usually boils over in the microwave...pasta dishes, grits, etc. I would think that if I can make all those things, I could certainly make Rice-A-Roni. Give it a try and tell us how it works.

confused on directionsDo those ccoking instructions go for the rice sold in bags too? :confused: I haven't used my rice cooker yet because I am alittle confused on the directions. Should I use the box's directions or arer there other directions I need to follow? I wanted to practice making the stir fry recipes before a host asks me to make that at her show!

I also noticed last time I was at the store that it is cheaper to by rice in those big plastic bags rather than the boxed rice (with individual bagged servings like 5 Minute Rice, etc.) You are getting more for you money...great thing to bring up to customers when demonstrating the rice cooker!

~Erica :)

Cooking Rice-a-Roni in the Rice Cooker works GREAT. I tried it for the first time the other night and it worked awsome. Just make sure to brown the rice as it says on the box first then put all the ingrediants in the rice cooker as directed on the box. Good Luck! ;)

kitchenqueen said:
Do those ccoking instructions go for the rice sold in bags too? :confused: I haven't used my rice cooker yet because I am alittle confused on the directions. Should I use the box's directions or arer there other directions I need to follow?

~Erica :)

I grew up eyeballing the rice to water ratio until I watched Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals on the Food Network. The rule of thumb for white rice is: 1 cup rice, 2 cups water (I use a little less water b/c I like the consistency better). Now, whenever I am making other types or mixes of rice, I defer to package directions....and I always feel free to adjust cooking time based upon the results. Practice makes perfect! Good luck...

Maria

Baked Potato?Hey guys, I was told that we could bake potatoes in our Rice Cookers. Has anyone tried this yet?

I am having a party tomorrow at my home a Loaded Baked Potato Show and thought it would be neat, but I haven't found the info yet.

Thanks

I used my lg micro cooker last night and cooked 3 good sized potatoes in it. I did put water in it.

Wow...wouldn't have thought of using it for potatoes. THANKS! I'll have to try that.

Baked potatoesI haven't heard of using the rice cooker for baked potatoes but I would use the stoneware fluted pan instead anyway! It DOES work great for that in the oven OR the microwave, shows a stone and higher priced item. ;)

Baked Potatoes!Okay, I had my show!! I fit 6 med sized potatoes in the rice cooker put in + or - 1 tablespoon of water then cooked it for 16-18 minutes. Perfect BAKED POTATO! Moist, not dry and cooked all the way through. I even had space for maybe 2 more. I will definitely do this again!! They tasted great and were done so quickly and without any mess!

Our stones are great, but I just don't like waiting 45 minutes for a potato to cook in the oven and personally I wouldn't use the stoneware in the microwave. Nothing against the practice it's just me. :p

Stoneware
Chef Kearns said:
Okay, I had my show!! I fit 6 med sized potatoes in the rice cooker put in + or - 1 tablespoon of water then cooked it for 16-18 minutes. Perfect BAKED POTATO! Moist, not dry and cooked all the way through. I even had space for maybe 2 more. I will definitely do this again!! They tasted great and were done so quickly and without any mess!

Our stones are great, but I just don't like waiting 45 minutes for a potato to cook in the oven and personally I wouldn't use the stoneware in the microwave. Nothing against the practice it's just me. :p

Thanks for the "rice cooker - potato recipe"!! That's great to know but what is your objection to using the stoneware in the microwave?

You really should try OUR stoneware in the microwave! It will cut the time for cakes, etc. way down! I have found that sales of stoneware has gone up since I have started telling people that they can use it in the microwave.

Nuking StonewareLike I said, I have nothing against the practice and I definitely tell my guests all of the ways they can use it; I just prefer them for baking. It's just one of my weird things (I must stress just one of many :p )

That's the great thing...
Chef Kearns said:
Like I said, I have nothing against the practice and I definitely tell my guests all of the ways they can use it; I just prefer them for baking. It's just one of my weird things (I must stress just one of many :p )

:) That's the great thing about our world! We're all different! We are all "wierd" in our own ways!

By the ByMy husband's grandfather's family founded the town you live in. His name is Douglas Mebane and his family still lives all over there. What a small world!!

Wow!!
Chef Kearns said:
My husband's grandfather's family founded the town you live in. His name is Douglas Mebane and his family still lives all over there. What a small world!!

Really?!? It is a small world! Thanks for the history!

How long does it take to cook baked potatoes on stonewear in the microwave? That's a good idea....

potatoes in microwave
kjkjsj said:
How long does it take to cook baked potatoes on stonewear in the microwave? That's a good idea....

About 10-13 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes and the number of them.

Rice Cooker is a dream!I agree! The Rice Cooker is not only good for rice for traditional Burritos and Stir Fry anymore. You can do Rice A Roni , Lipton Noodles, Warming up any leftovers, steaming veggies and the recipes with the Product Use & Care are "delicious-o". Love the Pilaf. I am so glad that you all share this enthusiasm.

Maybe for a show as an appetizer you could brown the rice in the Small Oval Baker and then put the Rice a Roni together (ALL Microwave). My favorite is the Parmesean Couscous by the rice at the grocery. Then, I mix in madarin oranges and toasted pine nuts. So easy!

1. How do I adjust the cooking time for different types of rice?

The cooking time may vary depending on the type of rice used. For example, white rice typically cooks faster than brown rice. It is recommended to follow the package instructions for the specific type of rice you are using. You may also need to adjust the cooking time slightly based on your personal preference for the texture of the rice.

2. Can I use this method for other grains besides rice?

This method is specifically designed for cooking rice and may not work the same for other grains. It is best to follow the cooking instructions for the specific type of grain you are using.

3. Do I need to stir the rice while it is cooking?

No, stirring is not necessary when using this method. Simply follow the instructions and let the rice cook undisturbed.

4. Can I use a different ratio of rice to water?

This method has been tested and perfected using a 1:2 ratio of rice to water. Making any adjustments to this ratio may result in different cooking times and may not produce the same results.

5. Is it okay to let the rice sit for longer than 10 minutes after cooking?

It is recommended to let the rice sit for 10 minutes after cooking to allow the steam to redistribute and the rice to fully absorb the water. Letting it sit for longer may result in overcooked or mushy rice.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• rperales
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • aksusan
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
aksusan
  • LakesideMom