• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Moroccan Seasoning Substitute??

In summary, the recipe (the moroccan lemon chicken pitas) suggests using curry powder as an alternative, but I'd like to try to duplicate the taste of the seasoning. Deb suggests using paprika, but I think I'd prefer to use the Moroccan seasoning mix instead.
AnnieBee
Gold Member
Does anyone have a good substitute for this? The recipe (the moroccan lemon chicken pitas) suggests using curry powder as an alternative, but I'd like to try to duplicate the taste of the seasoning.

TIA!

I did it with the curry 2:thumbdown:

Bumping...

Did you email the test kitchens for a suggestion?

Ditto what Deb said - they usually have a good idea what would work well -

I can tell there's cumin and mint in the moroccan, but don't know what else. Paprika, maybe - that would give it the red color and add some heat. Have you looked up Moroccan cooking online (epicurious.com, etc.)?

WIll email the test kitchens if I get a mo... But for now...

Courtesy of recipezaar.com - I'll let you know how it turns out!

Moroccan Seasoning Mix
Recipe #141053 | 5 min | 5 min prep

This spice blend is used extensively in Moroccan cooking.Use the freshest spices you can find. Recipe found on the net.
SERVES 8 , 8 Tablespoons (change servings and units)

Ingredients
5 teaspoons ground nutmeg
5 teaspoons ground cumin
5 teaspoons ground coriander
2 1/2 teaspoons allspice
2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions
1Mix spices together and store in an airtight container.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 (5g)

Recipe makes 8 servings

Calories 20

I am using this right now on some chicken breasts...haven't gotten to taste it yet (they aren't done yet) but it smells similar to the Jerk Seasoning....I am looking forward to eating it, since I really like the jerk seasoning!

It is sooo good! I like it better than the Jerk seasoning and I love that!

Annie, can't you get that seasoning in Canada? I used to make the Moroccan Lamb recipe in the Cooking for 2 or More Cookbook and we loved it! Now I substitue the rub and it tastes just as good.

Here's what they have for the seasoning

2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt

I use about 3 tsp of the Moroccan Rub instead of the above in that recipe.

Yes - Kelly, it is very similar - my sons can't tell the difference when I grill it with Shrimp and garlic oil - They love both!! Haven't tried it with Chicken yet - hmmm - I might do a taste test and see if they can tell.........

After eating it last night, I really liked it...but it is VERY similar to Jerk Seasoning. Side by side, I may be able to tell the difference, but eating it last night I couldn't tell any!

KellyTheChef said:
After eating it last night, I really liked it...but it is VERY similar to Jerk Seasoning. Side by side, I may be able to tell the difference, but eating it last night I couldn't tell any!

I think it smells and tastes like the Jerk Seasoning too....and I don't like either. I guess it's one of those love it or hate it seasonings. DH likes it though.

BethCooks4U said:
It is sooo good! I like it better than the Jerk seasoning and I love that!

Annie, can't you get that seasoning in Canada? I used to make the Moroccan Lamb recipe in the Cooking for 2 or More Cookbook and we loved it! Now I substitue the rub and it tastes just as good.

Here's what they have for the seasoning

2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt

I use about 3 tsp of the Moroccan Rub instead of the above in that recipe.

Actually Beth, I'm in OH, just don't happen to have that rub and wanted to try the recipe! I like the sound of the seasoning that you gave (above), I think it sounds much better than the one I used last night. It was OK, but I also think the bitterness of the lemon was a bit strong too.

Oh - just got your PM! SO yes, I did get the recipe! Thanks :)

AnnieBee said:
Actually Beth, I'm in OH, just don't happen to have that rub and wanted to try the recipe! I like the sound of the seasoning that you gave (above), I think it sounds much better than the one I used last night. It was OK, but I also think the bitterness of the lemon was a bit strong too.

Oh - just got your PM! SO yes, I did get the recipe! Thanks :)

Well then you know what you need to add to your next order!:p You can get it for like 40% off on a supply order (1 per month/3 per season - I believe).

...I wonder why I thought you were in Canada??

Who knows!! I am Englishliving in OH, so maybe you were thinking that the average of US + UK = Canada!

And my KE month is Sept - I am really looking forward to spending some PC$! :)

What is Moroccan seasoning substitute?

Moroccan seasoning substitute is a blend of spices that can be used in place of traditional Moroccan seasoning. It typically includes a combination of cumin, coriander, paprika, ginger, and other aromatic spices.

Why would I need a substitute for Moroccan seasoning?

There are a variety of reasons why someone may need a substitute for Moroccan seasoning. Some people may not have access to traditional Moroccan spices, while others may have dietary restrictions or allergies that prevent them from consuming certain ingredients in traditional Moroccan seasoning.

How do I use Moroccan seasoning substitute?

Moroccan seasoning substitute can be used in the same way as traditional Moroccan seasoning. It can be used as a rub for meats, added to soups or stews, or sprinkled over vegetables for added flavor.

Can I adjust the spices in my Moroccan seasoning substitute?

Yes, you can adjust the spices in your Moroccan seasoning substitute to suit your personal taste preferences. Some people may prefer a spicier blend, while others may want a milder flavor. Feel free to experiment and find the perfect balance of spices for you.

Where can I purchase Moroccan seasoning substitute?

You can purchase Moroccan seasoning substitute at most grocery stores or online. You can also make your own blend at home by combining the necessary spices. Pampered Chef also offers a Moroccan seasoning blend that can be purchased through our website or through one of our independent consultants.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chef greta
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chef greta
Replies
Views
sharalam