• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Pronouncing 'Mole': Mole or Mole-ay?

In summary, mole is a sauce made from chiles, spices and sometimes chocolate. It can be enjoyed as a dip, on chicken or steak, or as a sauce for enchiladas.
babywings76
Gold Member
How do you pronounce this? Is it mole or mole-ay?

Just wondered, because I've heard it both ways. Also, on that TV show called The Mole, one season they were supposed to find some mole sauce and they all pronounced it just "mole" not mole-ay.

babywings76 said:
Just wondered, because I've heard it both ways. Also, on that TV show called The Mole, one season they were supposed to find some mole sauce and they all pronounced it just "mole" not mole-ay.

well what do you expect from a stupid reality show ;)
Mexicans actually call it chocolate sauce, but its not sweet like we know it. There is cocoa powder in it but its not sweet & its dark brown, so it looks like chocolate....HTH a little :D

It's pronounced mo-lay and can be an acquired taste. PC's mole rub tastes like it has more cilantro in it than what I've tasted in tex-mex food. When I was little, I thought it was like Hershey's chocolate sauce because it's made with cocoa. LOL; and some recipes have a definite chocolate taste, but it is a rich, deep, strong sauce. Can't wait to try it on some flank steak and chicken on the grill this coming weekend.

Actually, please don't say mo-lay. All spanish speakers just had a collective cringe. It's more like mo-le with the 'e' having a short e sound. I love mole, but grew up on it. I am eager to try PC's version. My husband despises it. He He.

"Mole, which comes from the Aztec word molli, meaning concoction or stew, is believed to have been created in the late 1600s by a nun in a convent in Puebla de los Angeles, outside Mexico City, to honor the archbishop for building a nearby convent. According to food historians, she spared no expense, using the best and most expensive ingredients to create the dark, savory sauce that grew to tantalize a nation.

Today, Oaxaca has the reputation as Mexico's best state for mole, followed by Puebla and Veracruz. The famous "seven moles of Oaxaca" compose a rainbow of earthy colors such as black, brown, brick red, yellow and green.

The region's most famous variety, mole negro, uses six kinds of chile, almonds, raisins, pumpkin seeds, tomato, garlic, onions, plantains, chocolate, spices, chile seeds, lard and more." (from Oaxaca.com)

Last edited:
Okay. So please share recipes so we can try this stuff. ...besides just rubbing it on chicken or steak.

Did you notice our's has instant Coffee in it, as well as the cocoa? Not sure it would be a rub I'd like...but I'll try it at least once.

esavvymom said:
Did you notice our's has instant Coffee in it, as well as the cocoa? Not sure it would be a rub I'd like...but I'll try it at least once.

Maybe we should mix it with boiling water and drink it? :D

It smells good but I haven't tried any recipes with it yet.

scottcooks said:
"Mole, which comes from the Aztec word molli, meaning concoction or stew, is believed to have been created in the late 1600s by a nun in a convent in Puebla de los Angeles, outside Mexico City, to honor the archbishop for building a nearby convent. According to food historians, she spared no expense, using the best and most expensive ingredients to create the dark, savory sauce that grew to tantalize a nation.

Today, Oaxaca has the reputation as Mexico's best state for mole, followed by Puebla and Veracruz. The famous "seven moles of Oaxaca" compose a rainbow of earthy colors such as black, brown, brick red, yellow and green.

The region's most famous variety, mole negro, uses six kinds of chile, almonds, raisins, pumpkin seeds, tomato, garlic, onions, plantains, chocolate, spices, chile seeds, lard and more." (from Oaxaca.com)

Thanks Scott for the info!! I love mole. It's one of my favorite meals (chicken with mole) I love to make enchiladas too. Every year we go to Mexico City I bring between 2 and 3 kilos of mole :D

I haven't try the rub yet, but I don't think we will be able to use it as regular mole. Maybe a different way to use it will be with shreded chicken and then on tostadas, with queso fresco, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes and yum, yum!!!:p

Ginger428 said:
well what do you expect from a stupid reality show ;)
Mexicans actually call it chocolate sauce, but its not sweet like we know it. There is cocoa powder in it but its not sweet & its dark brown, so it looks like chocolate....HTH a little :D

Thank you for saying chocolate sauce. I get made fun of all the time because I say chocolate sauce instead of chocolate syrup!

I'm not sure what to use the mole rub on... but I think I might boil it, drink it and see what happens.... as someone else said in a different post... "anything in the name of kitchen science!"

vanscootin said:
Thank you for saying chocolate sauce. I get made fun of all the time because I say chocolate sauce instead of chocolate syrup!

I'm not sure what to use the mole rub on... but I think I might boil it, drink it and see what happens.... as someone else said in a different post... "anything in the name of kitchen science!"

I don't know about drinking it, I would cook some Chicken & pour it on top :D

There are recipes in our Latin Flavor cookbooks that call for mole.

1. How do you pronounce "mole"?

It is pronounced as "mole" just like the small furry animal.

2. Is it "mole" or "mole-ay"?

Either pronunciation is acceptable, but the most common is "mole" as in the animal.

3. What is the correct way to pronounce "mole" in Spanish?

In Spanish, "mole" is pronounced as "moh-leh" with a short "o" sound and emphasis on the second syllable.

4. Is there a specific region or dialect that uses "mole-ay" instead of "mole"?

In Mexican Spanish, "mole" is typically pronounced as "mole-ay". However, both pronunciations are widely used and accepted.

5. Can you provide an example of a dish with "mole" in it?

One famous dish that uses "mole" is mole poblano, a Mexican sauce made with chili peppers, spices, and chocolate, usually served over chicken or turkey.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• BeckyTank
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
hamiltonchef
Replies
Views
elainal
  • ChefPeg
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies