• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting: Sunshine Cake Overcooking Problem

In summary, Shawnna followed the recipe to a T, but the cake wasn't done in the middle after 13 minutes. She tried again for 2 minutes and it still wasn't done. Lee Anne suggests trying a different recipe or microwave setting.
Shawnna
Gold Member
I just tried the Sunshine Cake-not sure if that is what it is called. I followed the recipe exactly. The recipe said microwave on high for 13 minutes or until cake tester was clean. The recipe said the cake would be moist/not seem done at the middle of the pan. After 13 min. the cake wasn't done. I put it back in for 2 minutes and tested again, still not done past the middle of the cake (not the middle of the pan). So, I tried again for 2 minutes. The cake tasted good, but was "heavy" - kind of rubbery. So, did I overcook it? Or maybe stirred it too much. I know when you over-stir bread it is "heavy". I want to make this cake for a show next week, so can anyone give me some suggestions?

Thanks,

Shawnna

Shawnna,
I am not sure what happened. Do you have a microwave that turns? I know when I have made the microwave cake, it MUST be turned. If not, have of it gets done and have not.

I'd try again or choose to do something different until you can figure it out.

sorry; have never made one!

Shawnna said:
I just tried the Sunshine Cake-not sure if that is what it is called. I followed the recipe exactly. The recipe said microwave on high for 13 minutes or until cake tester was clean. The recipe said the cake would be moist/not seem done at the middle of the pan. After 13 min. the cake wasn't done. I put it back in for 2 minutes and tested again, still not done past the middle of the cake (not the middle of the pan). So, I tried again for 2 minutes. The cake tasted good, but was "heavy" - kind of rubbery. So, did I overcook it? Or maybe stirred it too much. I know when you over-stir bread it is "heavy". I want to make this cake for a show next week, so can anyone give me some suggestions?

Thanks,

Shawnna
I am very interested in this recipe where did you get it from?

asernau~ I have emailed you the recipe. For future reference, if you go to the top ot the board and push "Files" you can find any attachments that have been posted! It's an awesome new feature we now have!! :D

Have fun with it!

Lee Anne Brock
[email protected]

1. Why does my sunshine cake always end up overcooked?

There can be a few reasons why your sunshine cake is overcooked. One possible reason is that your oven temperature is too high. Make sure to always preheat your oven and use an oven thermometer to ensure the correct temperature. Another reason could be that you are using a dark or non-stick pan, which tends to cook food faster. Consider using a lighter colored pan or adjusting the baking time accordingly.

2. How can I prevent my sunshine cake from becoming dry and overcooked?

To avoid a dry and overcooked sunshine cake, it's important to not overmix the batter. Overmixing can cause the cake to become tough and dry. Additionally, make sure to accurately measure all ingredients and not overbake the cake. You can also try adding a tablespoon of sour cream or yogurt to the batter for added moisture.

3. Can I use a different type of pan for my sunshine cake?

Yes, you can use a different type of pan for your sunshine cake. However, keep in mind that different types of pans may affect the baking time and temperature. For example, a glass pan may require a lower temperature and longer baking time compared to a metal pan. Always adjust the baking time and temperature accordingly when using a different type of pan.

4. My sunshine cake is always overcooked on the edges but undercooked in the middle. What can I do?

This is a common problem and can be solved by using a cake strip. A cake strip is a fabric strip that goes around the edge of the cake pan to insulate it and prevent the edges from cooking faster than the rest of the cake. You can also try lowering the oven temperature and increasing the baking time to ensure the middle of the cake is fully cooked.

5. How can I tell if my sunshine cake is done baking?

The best way to tell if your sunshine cake is done baking is to insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, with no batter or crumbs attached, then the cake is done. You can also gently press the top of the cake with your finger - it should spring back when done. Another option is to use an instant-read thermometer and make sure the internal temperature of the cake is around 210°F.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • Alanna1
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Alanna1
  • sunset424