• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Microwave Cake -- Stoneware Fluted Pan

In summary, the conversation is about a cake recipe and different methods and tips for making it successfully. Some people recommend using a 1-2-3 cake mix instead of a regular cake mix, and adding a gooey topping after baking. Others suggest using a high powered microwave and adjusting cooking time and temperature to prevent the cake from being dry. Some also mention using different flavors of pie filling or canned pumpkin to add variety to the cake. There is also a discussion about the best way to turn out the cake and how to prevent it from being flat. Overall, the conversation provides helpful hints and tips for making a delicious and visually appealing cake.
floccies
I've made this twice. Both times it is flat when I dump it out. The icing is also very liquid and runs everywhere.

How is it supposed to turn out? I make a regular cake mix following the directions on the box, pour it in the stoneware fluted pan, scoop a can of frosting around the top and microwave for 13 minutes. I let it cool for about 15 minutes before dumping the second time.

Hints, tips, corrections to my method? Better recipe?

How do you keep the cake from being "flat"?

That's how it is supposed to turn out - you can pretty it up with fanned strawberries. powedered sugar and cool whip from the EAD

I really recommend doing the 1 2 3 cake instead and making a gooey topping to add after. I just don't like how the cakes look when they are baked with the frosting in them. Also, you could try using about half the can of frosting.

1 cake mix
2 cups sour cream
3 eggs
12 minutes, and I turn it out right away... very impressive

to top it
mix 1 cups chocolate chips and 1 cups coolwhip, micro for 1 minute and stir

I like the 123 cake much better too. I think the sour cream helps it not to taste so much like a boxed cake and makes it a little richer too. Every cake I've done with the icing in the mix turns out looking like a science experiment so I don't do them anymore.

Shana's 123 cake sounds great. I am going to copy it and try it out when I get more sour cream. I just used up my sour cream over the weekend, had I known this recipe I would have used it for this.

This sour cream /eggs batter is the same as is used in teh Peanutty Chocolate cake and I find that really dry - does this 123 cake come out dry?

dannyzmom said:
This sour cream /eggs batter is the same as is used in teh Peanutty Chocolate cake and I find that really dry - does this 123 cake come out dry?
I've never had a problem with it being dry. I have a high powered microwave so I have to adjust my cook time and temp. I cook mine for 11 mins on 80% power. The first time I made it I cooked it for 12 mins on full power and it was dry. Since I've reduced the time & temp it comes out really good. Oh, and have I mentioned before that I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Peanutty Chocolate cake?!

What the heck is a one 123 cake? I put sour cream in those micro cakes...is this similar to the 123 cake?

I have done it at most of my shows lately (by request) and it is very moist. you can also substitute any flavor pie filling or canned pumpkin. I like to do lemon blueberry, lemon cake, lemon pie filling, 3 eggs and I put about 3/4 of a can of blueberry pie filling in the bottom of the pan before the batter. Chocolate cherry, and chocolate peanut butter are also big hits!

pamperedlinda said:
I've never had a problem with it being dry. I have a high powered microwave so I have to adjust my cook time and temp. I cook mine for 11 mins on 80% power. The first time I made it I cooked it for 12 mins on full power and it was dry. Since I've reduced the time & temp it comes out really good. Oh, and have I mentioned before that I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Peanutty Chocolate cake?!

Linda, my microwave wattage is about 1000 or so. Should I do it your way?

pamperedharriet said:

I'm not Linda, but mine is 1200 watt and I do 12 minutes. I really works best with a turn table though. If you don't have one turn it every 3-4 minutes a quarter turn

ShanaSmith said:
I have done it at most of my shows lately (by request) and it is very moist. you can also substitute any flavor pie filling or canned pumpkin. I like to do lemon blueberry, lemon cake, lemon pie filling, 3 eggs and I put about 3/4 of a can of blueberry pie filling in the bottom of the pan before the batter. Chocolate cherry, and chocolate peanut butter are also big hits!

YUM! This sounds great! Is there a collection of these types of recipes anywhere?

Is the chocolate cherry and cherry pie filling on the bottom with a chocolate cake mix? What is the chocolate peanut butter?

pamperedharriet said:
You just might have to try and see what works for you. Sorry I don't have a better answer. I don't know what wattage mine is, I just know it's nuclear strength! LOL I don't cook anything on high power in mine. It's probably like Shana's though - @ 1200 watts - so for a 1000 watt one you might want to reduce the time a minute or so. Also, be sure to turn it every couple of mins if you don't have a built in turntable....use hot pads though as the stoneware gets pretty hot in the microwave.

Thanks Shana and Linda. I have a built in turntable. I guess I will just have to experiment. My DH hates dry cakes so I will start at the 80%.

I mix the cherry pie filling into the cake instead of the sour cream. you could always put it at the bottom though if you wanted to. I also like to add about 1 cups of choco chips to it. For Choco peanut butter I do choco cake, sour cream, eggs 1 cups choco peanutbutter chips, then I do the topping with the other cups of chips, 1 cups coolwhip micro for one minute, stir and then I add about 1/3 cup of peanut butter. It makes a warm gooey topping.

I think the sourcream cake is horrible dry..and leaving it regular tastes awesome...
I'll have to print this post and try it a variety of ways.

Shana you are making me hungry and I wasn't before I started reading about these cakes! LOL!!!!!!! I guess I won't tell my DH all of these as he'll have me in the kitchen baking again today!

Jilleysue said:
I think the sourcream cake is horrible dry..and leaving it regular tastes awesome...
I'll have to print this post and try it a variety of ways.

Has anyone tried the Peanutty Chocolate cake using regular batter instead of sour cream batter?

dannyzmom said:
Has anyone tried the Peanutty Chocolate cake using regular batter instead of sour cream batter?

I made it with normal cake/oil/water/egg combo and my hubby said it was lighter/moister this way than with the sour cream.

purrbal said:
I made it with normal cake/oil/water/egg combo and my hubby said it was lighter/moister this way than with the sour cream.

You're talking about the peanutty chocolate cake? Did the PB cups sink though?

If you are using any kind of frosting - except the coconut kind that you use with German Chocolate cakes - you might try using only half of the container. I think it is only with the coconut icing that you use the whole can, because it is so much thicker.

Hope this helps.

I make the Turtle Fudge Cake using the sour cream, and it's ohhhh so yummy. It's usually pretty moist, too. There's hardly any left at shows when I microwave it. So, guess it's good. :)

Okay, not fair.. I gave up sugar for lent and I am really dying for cake right now.....

I use a Betty Crocker recipe for a scratch micro cake and use 3/4 of a jar of ice cream topping (caramel) and pour that in first then the mix and micro...
SOOOO Good!!

I've done it plain before and noticed the top (when flipped over) was undercooked but not the rest so I used a coffe saucer to elevate the stone a little and it cooks evenly now... New micro too.. :)

I do the 12 minute cake at almost every show and the guest are all really amazed and Love it. I usually will sell 2 or 3 fluted pans at each show. I have had a few flops, I think it had to with the hosts microwave.

I have learned a trick to it though. Once I dump it over I let it set on plate for about 30 seconds before removing pan, it gives the icing a chance to run down sides of cake. That seams to be making the difference on the appearance.

I do use all the icing on all of them EXCEPT chocolate ;) because it gets really runny when it gets hot so, I only use about 3/4 when its chocolate icing. :D

I have heard of the 123 cake but havent tried it. Maybe its time to expand my horizons. :p

jennifer said:
I do the 12 minute cake at almost every show and the guest are all really amazed and Love it. I usually will sell 2 or 3 fluted pans at each show. I have had a few flops, I think it had to with the hosts microwave.

I have learned a trick to it though. Once I dump it over I let it set on plate for about 30 seconds before removing pan, it gives the icing a chance to run down sides of cake. That seams to be making the difference on the appearance.

I do use all the icing on all of them EXCEPT chocolate ;) because it gets really runny when it gets hot so, I only use about 3/4 when its chocolate icing. :D

I have heard of the 123 cake but havent tried it. Maybe its time to expand my horizons. :p

Do you turn it over right away when you take it out of the micro, or let it sit for a few minutes?

And, since I don't seem to know how to invert a stone without breaking it....any tricks? I have done multiple with SA pieces, but the first time I made an angel food cake in the rect baker and had to invert it on to a cooling rack, CRASH! :(

I do let the cake set 10 to 15 minutes before inverting it over.

I have been using the new Round simple additions platter. I will lat it on top of stone and then just take it and hold them both together and flip it over;) very quickly :p

It seems to work well.

I LOVE SIMPLE ADDITIONS TOO. :D

pamperedlinda said:
I like the 123 cake much better too. I think the sour cream helps it not to taste so much like a boxed cake and makes it a little richer too. Every cake I've done with the icing in the mix turns out looking like a science experiment so I don't do them anymore.

I'm so glad you said that about the science experiment!! LOL That's what I thought of mine too, and I was sure that it had to be something I was doing wrong!
I did the 123 cake at a show and it was beautiful - came out of the pan so nicely and everyone loved it.

ShanaSmith said:
I really recommend doing the 1 2 3 cake instead and making a gooey topping to add after. I just don't like how the cakes look when they are baked with the frosting in them. Also, you could try using about half the can of frosting.

1 cake mix
2 cups sour cream
3 eggs
12 minutes, and I turn it out right away... very impressive

to top it
mix 1 cups chocolate chips and 1 cups coolwhip, micro for 1 minute and stir
I made this last night and it was AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing this - I had tried a micro cake in this pan before with the added frosting and it didn't work out very well. This one is GREAT! ANd pretty - I used chocolate cake mix and then drizzled white melted frosting. YUM! Dh and I pigged out last night, lol. (So much for my points!)

1. How do I prepare the Stoneware Fluted Pan before using it for a microwave cake?

The Stoneware Fluted Pan should be seasoned before use to prevent sticking and ensure even baking. To season, lightly rub the pan with vegetable oil and place it in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 minutes. Let it cool before using.

2. Can the Stoneware Fluted Pan be used in a regular oven as well?

Yes, the Stoneware Fluted Pan is versatile and can be used in both a microwave and a conventional oven. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.

3. What type of cake mixes work best with the Stoneware Fluted Pan?

The Stoneware Fluted Pan works well with any type of cake mix, whether it is a traditional mix or a gluten-free option. Just make sure to follow the instructions on the cake mix package for the appropriate amount of batter to use.

4. How do I clean the Stoneware Fluted Pan after using it for a microwave cake?

Cleaning the Stoneware Fluted Pan is easy. Simply hand wash it with warm water and mild soap, and dry it thoroughly. Avoid using harsh cleaners or metal scrubbers, as they can damage the stoneware.

5. Can I use the Stoneware Fluted Pan for other dishes besides cakes?

Yes, the Stoneware Fluted Pan can be used for a variety of dishes, such as quiches, casseroles, and even bread. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time and temperature accordingly for the specific dish you are making.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • frozenchef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • DebPC