• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can you pre-make and store crispy homemade potato chips?

before I took them to the party. I usually cook for 4 minutes and then check. It is something you have to play around with for sure. I recomend doing them before a show because of how micowaves vary. Blotting then on a paper towel is VERY important! I let mine set for a few minutes. Just be sure and tell your customers that they will have to play with it a little.I've found that I have to initially cook them longer than recommended on the use and care instructions. I do my sweet potato chips for 5 minutes initially and then 30 second increments. The length of the first cook time is very important. White potatoes don't take as long but
cochef
Gold Member
Has anyone made up a bunch of potato chips and stored them? How do you store them and do they stay crunchy? Thanks for your help.

I always make some the night before. Sometimes I put them in a plastic bag but lately i've been storing them in the air-tight glass containers. They are always a hit and I've sold quite a few of the chip makers. I sometimes demonstrate at parties if I have time after the main recipe.

Ditto for me! I always take some made up ahead of time and sell lots of Simple Slicers and chip makers. Try the Applewood seasoning rub....tastes like BBQ chips! Has anyone done any apples yet??

I use our leak proof containers! Why use a plastic bag when you can show off one more product. Plus I think it's something that gets over-looked in the catalog. I love them and always sell one or two when I show them off.

When I first get to the host's house I make a batch of chips and leave them on one tray sitting out for people to try and invite everyone to try them. Then as people walk in I get them to try making their own and set up a 'chip station' and grab people as they come in. I've sold a lot of chip makers and hardly ever talk about it during demo.

marshafaye said:
Ditto for me! I always take some made up ahead of time and sell lots of Simple Slicers and chip makers. Try the Applewood seasoning rub....tastes like BBQ chips! Has anyone done any apples yet??

I make them ahead of time, too, and bring them in the leak-proof container. I did try apple slices once. They didn't work. Good thing I tried them out at home :eek:

marshafaye said:

I have made apple chips at home and they were great! The key is to let them dry on a paper towel. I sprinkle with a cinnamon sugar mix, yummy!!
I would suggest making them ahead though just because microwaves vary.

Thank you all!! I like the idea of or glass containers for storage, too.

Ok, I have done the microwave chips twice, once at home, and once at a party. I thought they were a total flop and waste of time. My micro is 1000 watts and I'm not sure what the other one was, but they both came out not very crisp. I tried apples at home too and was not impressed. Any tips for me? Thanks!

Are you blotting the potatoes really good with paper towels to remove excess moisture?

Yes, I salted them then blotted, the salt seems to pull more water out. Maybe I put too many on the sheet at once, or maybe I will try using just one tray next time. Thanx!

kjbug said:
Yes, I salted them then blotted, the salt seems to pull more water out. Maybe I put too many on the sheet at once, or maybe I will try using just one tray next time. Thanx!
Are you layering the potatoes on top of each other?

kjbug said:
Ok, I have done the microwave chips twice, once at home, and once at a party. I thought they were a total flop and waste of time. My micro is 1000 watts and I'm not sure what the other one was, but they both came out not very crisp. I tried apples at home too and was not impressed. Any tips for me? Thanks!

It is something you have to play around with for sure. I recomend doing them before a show because of how micowaves vary. Blotting then on a paper towel is VERY important! I let mine set for a few minutes.
Just be sure and tell your customers that they will have to play with it a little.

I've found that I have to initially cook them longer than recommended on the use and care instructions. I do my sweet potato chips for 5 minutes initially and then 30 second increments. The length of the first cook time is very important. White potatoes don't take as long but do need longer than the initial recommended by the instructions. And I have a 1200 watt microwave that cooks great.

I made mine the night before and put them in the glass container. They were crisp. Thank goodness I tested them before I went because they were no longer crisp!

I made them in my microwave and they were not very crisp. I found that I just wasn't nuking them long enough. It took a full 6 minutes with both trays, rotating them every 2 minutes and checking every 30 seconds. My microwave is 1,100 watts.

Mine took 10 minutes in mine :(

Mine take 3 3/4 minutes for a double tray and 2 3/4 minutes for a single. So yummy!

Has anyone figured out or know the way to make the chips in the regular oven - on a stone maybe? I had the microwave chip maker, but after using it one time, then the heating element in my built-in wall/oven combo unit went out, and cost me $600 to repair! (cheaper than replacing since it was a full oven/micro unit). So I gave mine away, but would still like to be able to make homemade chips now and then in the oven.

Many years ago, consultants were doing that on a stone. I went back on CS and found a topic for this back in 2008. Mandolin thin sliced potatoes single layer on a stone at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Season as you wish. Let us know how they turn out.

1. Can I make chips ahead of time for a party or event?

Yes, you can definitely make chips ahead of time for a party or event! This can save you time and stress on the day of the event.

2. How far in advance can I make chips?

You can make chips up to 2-3 days in advance. However, the longer they sit, the less crispy they may become. It's best to make them the day before or the day of the event for optimal freshness.

3. What types of chips can I make ahead of time?

You can make a variety of chips ahead of time, including potato, tortilla, vegetable, and fruit chips. Just be sure to store them properly to maintain their crispiness.

4. How should I store the chips after making them ahead of time?

It's important to store the chips in an airtight container or bag to maintain their crispiness. You can also add a paper towel to absorb any excess moisture. Keep them at room temperature in a cool, dry place.

5. Can I reheat the chips after making them ahead of time?

Yes, you can reheat the chips to help restore their crispiness. Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 350°F for 3-5 minutes, or until they reach your desired level of crispiness.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jennie50
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Paula R. Lewis
  • bridgetbakes
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefkristin
  • swtnsssychef