• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sharpening Old Kitchen Shears: Tips & Tricks

In summary, it is recommended to sharpen old kitchen shears every 6-12 months and you can do so at home using a sharpening stone or manual sharpener. The best way to sharpen them is by following the proper technique and using a honing stone or manual sharpener. Signs that your shears need sharpening include struggling to cut through food and causing uneven cuts. Serrated kitchen shears can also be sharpened, but it is best to take them to a professional for specialized sharpening.
ChefLAM
Does anyone know if there is a way to sharpen the older style kitchen shears or is it best just to replace them with the newer style? Thanks for your help!

The white ones or black ones with the herb stripper?

I'm not sure. A customer left me a voice mail and asked if there was a way to sharpen her old kitchen shears or if she would have to have them replaced. She just said she bought them a while back. I will have to call her and see how long ago it was. I didn't know how many different kinds of shears we have had.

I've heard that cutting through a folded piece of foil (about 4 layers) can help to sharpen kitchen shears. I can't tell you where I heard this or if it will actually help.

raebates said:
I've heard that cutting through a folded piece of foil (about 4 layers) can help to sharpen kitchen shears. I can't tell you where I heard this or if it will actually help.

I heard that it was sandpaper that you cut through. Which sounds reasonable to me. In fact, I may have even tried it once.

We have had white handled shears that are self-sharpening. Everytime you cut something the blades rub each other to sharpen the scissors. They were re-designed to the slim black shears. They were horrible!! They didn't really cut, they definitely didn't self-sharpen.

Our current black handled shears are the BOMB!! They are basically the white shears with a new handle. LOL!!

Truly I found that the black one do not stay sharp either. I have had them since August and they barely cut anything. I need to return them.

She can always take them to a place that sharpens knives and scissors.

1. How often should I sharpen my old kitchen shears?

It is recommended to sharpen your old kitchen shears every 6-12 months, depending on how frequently they are used. Regular sharpening will help maintain the sharpness and effectiveness of the shears.

2. Can I sharpen my old kitchen shears at home?

Yes, you can sharpen your old kitchen shears at home using a sharpening stone or a manual sharpener. However, it is important to follow the proper technique and be cautious to avoid any injuries.

3. What is the best way to sharpen old kitchen shears?

The best way to sharpen old kitchen shears is by using a honing stone or a manual sharpener. Make sure to follow the proper technique and angle the shears correctly to achieve a sharp edge.

4. How can I tell if my old kitchen shears need sharpening?

If your old kitchen shears are struggling to cut through food or are causing uneven cuts, it may be time to sharpen them. You can also test the sharpness by trying to cut through a piece of paper. If the shears can't make a clean cut, they need to be sharpened.

5. Can I sharpen serrated kitchen shears?

Yes, serrated kitchen shears can be sharpened, but it is recommended to take them to a professional for sharpening. Serrated blades require a different technique and specialized sharpening tools, so it is best to leave it to the experts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• robotChef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • Jennifer Hunsucker
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • kcjodih