• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Understanding Canadian Income Tax: Pre-Claim Amount Limit

In summary, you are allowed to make a certain amount of money before you need to report it to the government. This amount changes depending on where you live, but in general, you are allowed to make around $16,161 before you need to report it.
stefani2
Does anyone know if we are allowed to make a certain amount per year BEFORE needing to claim Income Tax?

For your Alberta taxes it is $16,161
For federal it is $9600

These are for 2008

Veevahchef said:
For federal it is $9600

These are for 2008

What???

Here in BC anything over $500.00 is to be reported!

Anything over $600 must be reported on a 1099. Which means PC will report it so you should too.

Veevahchef said:
For federal it is $9600

These are for 2008

so why are they different? What does that mean to me/us?

Jewel said:
Anything over $600 must be reported on a 1099. Which means PC will report it so you should too.

PC doesn't send us anything in Canada - do they?

No they don't send us anything in Canada - although maybe directors do get something... We need to keep track of everything. I've claimed it the past 5 years, by writing off my Staples, some groceries, gas/mileage (specifically for shows, trips to post office, training), conference/training fees, phone (our second is a dedicated line), samples, products for giveaway (I print off my PP receipt) I come our ahead, not much, but ahead... 2009 will be a much more interesting tax year for me, I hope to be bringing home alot more - we'll see what CRA has to say.
Print off your commission statements, and collect everything you have. If you do them at home, there is spacwe to enter your PC business in any software - Quicktax or UFile... Just enter all the info you have & they'll include it all for you. I just bring my stuff to our accountant now, as there are other financial issues that we have to take into consideration, but if you have a pretty straightforward return, you can do it yourself.I never noticed any minimum, I just always claimed my PC stuff.Esther

stefani2 said:
PC doesn't send us anything in Canada - do they?

They don't but by law you are to "claim" your income.

I cam out with an $800.00 dollar loss, this is with writing off stuff. I wish things would pick up...

What is income tax?

Income tax is a tax imposed by the government on the income earned by individuals and businesses. It is a way for the government to raise revenue to fund public services and programs.

How is income tax calculated?

Income tax is calculated by applying a set tax rate to the taxable income of an individual or business. The tax rate varies depending on the tax bracket the individual or business falls under.

What is the deadline for filing income tax returns?

The deadline for filing income tax returns in Canada is April 30th for most individuals. However, self-employed individuals and their spouses have until June 15th to file their returns, but any taxes owing must still be paid by April 30th to avoid penalty.

What is the difference between a tax credit and a tax deduction?

A tax credit is a direct reduction of the amount of tax owed, while a tax deduction reduces the amount of taxable income. Tax credits are generally more beneficial than tax deductions as they reduce the tax liability dollar for dollar.

What happens if I am unable to pay my income tax by the deadline?

If you are unable to pay your income tax by the deadline, you will be charged interest on the amount owing. It is important to file your tax return on time even if you are unable to pay, as failure to file can result in additional penalties.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jesusluvsu2005
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
lkprescott
  • twoeyes
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
twoeyes
  • junkfortara