• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do Floating Eggs Mean They Are Bad?

In summary, if an egg floats in water it is safe to eat, but if an egg is tilted on the bottom it is past its expiration date.
janezapchef
Gold Member
I know there's a way to tell this by puting the egg in a glass of water. If it's good, it sinks, right? Or does it float??? I have a bunch of eggs past their date, but I know that doesn't mean they are bad, necessarily. Anyone know???

My smart-aleck answer would be crack n' sniff.

If they cluck and have wings... :) (sorry, I just couldn't resist!) :)

ANSWER: Egg shells may seem pretty solid, but they are in fact slightly porous. Old eggs float in fresh cold water because of a large air cell that forms as the egg cools after being laid. As the egg ages, air enters the egg and the air cell becomes larger and this acts as a buoyancy aid.Generally, fresh eggs will lie on the bottom of the bowl of water. Eggs that tilt so that the large end is up are older, and eggs that float are rotten. The tilting is caused by air pockets in the eggs that increase in size over time as fluid evaporates through the porous shell and oxygen and gases filter in. The older an egg gets the more gas builds up inside it. More gas = more floating!Carefully lower your eggs into fresh cold water (do not use salted water) using a spoon: * If the egg stay at the bottom - it is fresh.
* If the egg is at an angle on the bottom - it is still fresh and good to eat.
* If the egg stands on its pointed end at the bottom - it is still safe to eat but best used for baking and making hard-cooked eggs.
* If the egg float - they're stale and best discarded.The final test: To make sure the egg is not spoiled, break it into a clean bowl and check to make sure it doesn't have a bad odor or appearance.

Wow! Thanks! :)

Anyone else???

Thanks, Janet.

I was posting at the same time you were, I guess!

Really, thanks, Janet! Did you just type that into a search somewhere? I guess I probably could have done that too. Duh! I swear, sometimes my brain really doesn't work!

We always test our eggs to see if they float before we use them. We have chickens and sometimes the newer eggs don't get put at the bottom of the pile. This is just a safety issue for me I hate the smell of bad eggs.

I don't keep eggs for a long time. I just wouldn't want to take the risk with my family. If they're past the expiration date, I throw them out, it's just not worth the risk.

Wow, thanks so much for the info and the link.
I went to the website and there is so much information on eggs, it is great!!

Janet and Kacey, you guys are too much...

Any time I use eggs, I always crack each one in a small bowl before adding it to the rest of the recipe. That way if you get a bad one you haven't ruined your whole recipe.

sk8rgrrl99 said:
Any time I use eggs, I always crack each one in a small bowl before adding it to the rest of the recipe. That way if you get a bad one you haven't ruined your whole recipe.

I was always taught that too...prep bowls work great for that!

sk8rgrrl99 said:

very smart idea!! I need to start doing this!!

And, for me, the sloppy cook, if you get an eggshell in it, it's much easier to see and fish out in the prep bowl than in the big recipe.

chefsteph07 said:
Janet and Kacey, you guys are too much...

Thanks, Steph- but I thought we were eggcellent! Baaahaahaa!:D:p

1. How can I tell if eggs are bad just by looking at them?

There are a few things to look for when checking if eggs are bad. First, check the date on the carton. If the expiration date has passed, the eggs may have gone bad. You can also crack the egg into a bowl or onto a plate and check for any unusual discoloration or off-putting smell. If the egg white or yolk appears discolored or the egg has a strong sulfur smell, it is likely bad.

2. Can I still use eggs after the expiration date?

It is not recommended to use eggs after the expiration date. As eggs age, they lose moisture and carbon dioxide, causing the air cell inside the egg to grow larger. This can lead to a higher chance of bacterial contamination, making the eggs unsafe to consume. It is best to discard eggs after the expiration date has passed.

3. How long do eggs typically last in the fridge?

According to the USDA, raw eggs in their shell can last up to 5 weeks in the refrigerator. However, it is always best to check the expiration date on the carton and perform the above visual and smell tests before using the eggs.

4. What is the best way to store eggs in the fridge?

Eggs should be stored in their original carton in the refrigerator. The carton helps to protect the eggs from absorbing odors from other foods and also prevents them from drying out. It is not recommended to store eggs in the fridge door, as the temperature fluctuates more in this area.

5. Can I freeze eggs if I have too many?

Yes, eggs can be frozen for up to 1 year. However, it is best to crack the eggs into a freezer-safe container and lightly beat them before freezing. This will prevent the egg from expanding and cracking the shell. Thawed eggs should be used within 2 days and should not be refrozen.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kam
  • OhmyDLM
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Jennie4PC
  • KellyTheChef