• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Does Wireless Internet Work When Traveling?

If you are staying at a hotel, it is usually worth it to ask the front desk for a password to the network. If you are staying at a coffee shop or restaurant, most likely they will have a WiFi connection for free. The home cheapo generally has several WiFi networks that are secured.
jrstephens
We leave Sunday to go to NC. My husband has a laptop that has wireless internet on it with his school. Will it work anywhere that has wireless? I was thinking about taking it with us. We are chaperoning for an FCA camp, so, the rooms have NO tv and NO phone but we are told it has wireless internet on the campus. He just got it before school was out, so, we have not tried it anywhere other then the school. We do not have wireless at home.

Yes, it will work anywhere that has WiFi. Some places make you pay for the connection, but some places it is free. When you start the computer up you have to search for available networks (or connections). I am soooo not a techie so these are just laymens terms. I'm trying to explain something I barely understand.

I have taken my laptop with me before and it was pretty easy connecting to a WiFi network.

Yes -- if there is a free (or unsecured, but that's advised against doing...) wireless network in range you will be able to connect into it. Here is how I do it on my machine (which runs Windows XP)

To search for a signal, click your Start button, then there should be a "Connect To" option. Chose that and click Wireless Network Connection. That will pop up a window with a button on the bottom right that says "View Wireless Network Connections" and this will pull up a list of all the available signals in the area. FCA may require you to have an access key to log in, so ask them for that when you "check in".

Take a few DVD's as well if it has a DVD player and you can even watch some movies as well :)

I use it all the time when I'm not using my broadband card.Most hotels have free WiFi and if you have a WiFi card in your laptop (most laptops made after about 2005 hav WiFi built in) and they will typically auto-detect the network. If you're in a Marriott or Holiday Inn (Express) the connection is usually free. It may not even have a password unless there is another hotel within WiFi range. The front desk will give you a password. (I've been known to sit in the parking lot of Holiday Inn Express to steal some WiFi connect time.)The lower end hotels may have WiFi but charge a couple of bucks a day to use it. I've been in places that wanted 10 bucks a day to connect - so I went to a local coffee shop and used their free one.Some fast food joints (not all) also have WiFi - Ronald Clowndonald charges for his. Most coffee shops also have WiFi, locally owned ones tend to be free while Starschmucks charges for theirs in most locations.If you keep your laptop open in the car (you can get power converters to keep the battery up - I do that all the time so I can follow Streets & Trips) you'll be surprised at how often WiFi networks are found - The Home Cheapo usually has three or four WiFi nets (all secured, so you can't steal their bandwidth) as do many other businesses. Searching for WiFi can be kinda entertaining...in a geeky sort of way

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Searching for WiFi can be kinda entertaining...in a geeky sort of way

I must be a geek then! Since going wireless, I find myself searching everywhere.....even checking it out when I am at shows!:eek: I get a cheap thrill out of being able to log on while I am setting up my computer for check-out!:D (I'm easily amused!)

I was in nortern Wisconsin for 2 months a couple years ago and they not only had no wireless cafe's the only place I could even get on was at the library and that was limited. My laptop was useless there (my mother didn't have long distance service either so I couldn't even dial up.).

And not only the low end hotels charge for wireless. Many high end also charge. I know the Hiltons in Chicago charge!

The Chicago Hilton (conference hotel) charges $16 a day. But that's because they're a business hotel, and people just expense it.

$16 a day is rediculous!!! you know they are making money off that one!

There is a Carabou coffee arround the corner (caramel cooler here I come!!!) from the Hilton and most of them here in MN have free wireless.

1. How do I connect to wireless internet when traveling?

To connect to wireless internet when traveling, you will need to make sure your device has a wireless network adapter. Then, you can search for available networks in your device's settings and select the network you want to connect to. You may need to enter a password or agree to terms and conditions before being able to access the internet.

2. Do I need to have a specific type of device for wireless internet when traveling?

No, as long as your device has a wireless network adapter, you should be able to connect to wireless internet when traveling. This includes laptops, smartphones, tablets, and other devices.

3. Is there a cost for using wireless internet when traveling?

This will depend on the specific network you are connecting to. Some networks may require a fee or subscription, while others may be free to use. It is always a good idea to check with the network provider or your accommodation to see if there are any fees associated with using their wireless internet.

4. How do I know if the wireless internet connection is secure?

When connecting to a wireless internet network, look for a lock symbol next to the network name. This indicates that the network is password protected and may be more secure. It is also recommended to use a virtual private network (VPN) for added security when using public Wi-Fi networks.

5. Can I use my data plan instead of connecting to wireless internet when traveling?

Yes, you can use your data plan to access the internet when traveling, but this may result in additional charges from your mobile service provider. It is always a good idea to check your data plan and roaming fees before using it for internet access while traveling.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• LeslieSGI
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
LeslieSGI
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
Replies