• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Does Tastefully Simple Work?

In summary, a TS consultant's recent experience has been negative due to the difficulty in finding stock and the high commission rates. The hostess can either order directly from the consultant or from a show, but the commission rate is lower for the hostess. There is a new line of products that starts on September 1st that the consultant is interested in hosting a show for.
AJPratt
Silver Member
From a Consultant's perspective? I was just wondering...

TsHi Anne

I am not sure how it works but I love their products!!! I am addicted to the Honey Teriyaki Sauce.

Me, too... and the Merlot Sauce.

One of my new neighbors is a former consultant to TS. I think you might have to keep stock because she was telling me that she's no longer doing TS and she's got tons of stuff. She was asking me if we did community yard sales out here so she could sell some of it. I haven't had their stuff, but I've heard it is really good.

They are getting away from them keeping stock, too many people got burned or the product would go out of date before they could sell it. Their new thing is turn orders in as parties, but they also have website orders! BUT, they have to be at least $50 to order that way!!!!!! It used to be $100. Can you imagine??

I love their stuff, but there really isn't that much variety to sell. My consultant just sent me the new catalog for the fall today. Nothing really new that I see. And she has been having a hard time getting anyone to sign because of the keeping inventory of the past. Plus, we did an open house last weekend, she made about 5 trips with huge boxes of stuff trying to get rid of it--yuck.

Everytime I think of all the companies I checked into before I heard of PC, I am still very glad I chose this one!!!!

I met a girl in my town that does TS at a home show last year. We are talking about an open house sometime in Oct or Nov at the community center back here in my neighborhood. I had no idea they had to keep inventory! We are supposed to talk again in the next couple weeks and I will have to ask how how TS works.

They get higher commission rate.......Hi all,
One of my hostesses just started selling TS.

This is what I understood from a quick convo with her.

She loves the 35% commission she makes if I ordered directly from her, but, if I order at a show her commission is only 25% because that other 10% goes to the hostess.

She doesnt' keep stock items as her up-line got burned big time with that, you go and order and get the product within 2-3 weeks from hostess.

The thing that's not nice is having to order all the little plastic sample cups and plates and spoons. She also has to order the sample packets for each hostess to use. That sounded very expensive.

As a hostess, you've got to provide allot of cream cheese and sour cream I believe are the 2 main ingredients.

Also, she gets charged for accepting Credit Cards, and it varies on amount spent.

She also can opt to get a web site, where it's a ONE TIME fee, but very limited in what it can do.

I can ask her more ?? if someone wants.

Lisa

Leaving us Anne?? Just Kidding! I know that you are just lashing out because you aren't the Queen of Posters, LOL!!

LOL! The whole keeping inventory thing would kill me.

Lisa: That's great. My director met with someone who was shocked that our commission wasn't adjusted for anything except insurance.

I agree on the personal websites - they are not very personal at all. You cannot edit text like we can - its very generic. The good thing tho is you can see all the products just like ours - unlike Taste of Home.

I don't know about TS...but I've recently heard more about it. I just tried to find a consultant in my area, and there are like 10 within 5 miles! Geesh! I'm not even in a well-populated area! There are 2 within less than 1 mile!

Some of their items look yummy....I might have to try a couple of things. Do you always have to pay that $7.95 shipping? OUCH! :eek: Also, their kit is $170 for $300 of stuff! PC definitely has a better deal...

Just got this off the TS website...hmmm...
After the party, you can reward your host with gourmet foods and exclusive gifts from the Tastefully Simple Host Collection™ … plus, you’ll earn a fabulous commission on all of the party sales! According to our 2005 survey averages, most Tastefully Simple consultants earn about $15 per hour.

A TS gal I did a TOH Cooking Show with earlier this year called me last night to see if I was interested in hosting a show - their new line starts 9/1 too. A neighbor 4 houses down just stopped selling it the end of last year but then I met a new neighbor less than a mile away that does it VERY part time! She says she usually keeps one of everything on hand and only does as much as she has to, to stay active (she also works a FT job). I know I heard they are getting away from the whole 'inventory' thing, almost 2 years ago I had a show (for the neighbor 4 houses down) and she brought a ton of stuff (and her husband to unload/unpack and pack/load) - it was a good show for me, just before the holidays!!!
We are lucky - TS ships out of Alexandria, MN so when my show closed I had it within a week (those that had to order products she didn't have with her that night).

I also just saw a TOH gal I know at school tonight (meet your teacher night), she said she has a show EVERYDAY in September - I guess it is double points month - could you imagine?? I don't know what their hostess plan is or their average show but if that was PC - - 30 days x $470.00 (company average show) x 27% (seasoned consult @ $4,000+ monthly sales) = $3807.00!!
Again those are AVERAGES - I'd take that paycheck - it would pay for my sons yearly tuition, lunches and a few uniforms to spare!! What if a 1/4 of those were $1000.00 shows? She is 2 away from director so think of the over rides from down line sales etc.!! WOW!!

I am sure that we all know how easy it is to book a show every day!! I'd like to know her secret. I told my DH about this lady and he said that he'd rather see me every day than have the $3800!

gilliandanielle said:
I am sure that we all know how easy it is to book a show every day!! I'd like to know her secret. I told my DH about this lady and he said that he'd rather see me every day than have the $3800!

She mentioned something about it being their 3 month anniversary or something like that - so I don"t know if that is something official that they can now launch?? I don"t know if she meant everyday literally - weekdays or weekdays & weekends?? I know we could certainly use the $$ and my DH would be fine with it knowing it was my *adult* time away from the 2 & 8 year olds I am with all day long! (7 days and counting until school starts!! - Love my children to death but I need to get back on a schedule with a break from can I...... every other hour!!)

I am with my 1 & 2 year olds all day every day and I would be worried if all of a sudden I was working that much!! I could really use the money too (who couldn't!?) but I wonder how her family feels about that! It is none of my business anyway, just had to throw my comments in.

gilliandanielle said:
I am with my 1 & 2 year olds all day every day and I would be worried if all of a sudden I was working that much!! I could really use the money too (who couldn't!?) but I wonder how her family feels about that! It is none of my business anyway, just had to throw my comments in.

Besides PC I work PT outside of the home nights and weekends - if I could get my butt in gear with PC I could get rid of that other job...someday!! This TOH gal has FIVE kids - the youngest is starting all day kindergarten this year - so for now it is perfect timing for her to work her business now that she has no one at home. She also volunteers A LOT at school so I know she will be keeping busy! I appreciate your 2 cents - it's always good to hear another point of view.:)

If I could make $3800 in a month I could quit my day job! Of course, I'd need to quit the day job to be able to do that every day LOL. It's the chicken and the egg!

Someone said they get 35% commission...do they have to purchase their host incentives? All other companies that I know of make higher commission rates than PC, but after they pay for host benefits, paperwork, bags, etc. they end up making about the same as we do. With PC we don't have to worry about paying for host products.

The only thing I wish PC would change for us is how we are paid. I wish we could sell the products and only send-or they would only deduct-the price less commission-(80%). They could still send out incentives income, overrides, and if our sales reached the next level they could reimburse the extra commission percent. Many times I like to give my preferred customers an extra discount or special price on a large item, but it is hard to come up with that extra out of my own pocket.

As for making 3800 a month...I would love that, but not if it means I have to spend every night away from my children and husband. Money is not everything. I currently work full time outside my home. I have a great job and make a decent income for my area, but I want to spend more time with my children so I am thinking about quitting after Christmas. I have really been praying about this. It would leave me more time to help my husband in his restaurant, more time to see my kids and attend their activities, and it would free up more time for me to work my PC business.

The way to make $3800 a month and still have time at home is to RECRUIT!

Shawnna said:
Someone said they get 35% commission...do they have to purchase their host incentives?
Yes, they do have to pay host benefits. But, they also have reorders and they get the higher commission on those. I don't know what it is for sure, but I'm quite sure their show average isn't as high as ours. I hosted a show for a friend not too long ago who started TS and had a pretty good show according to her, which was about $450.

The big reason she signed with TS is because of the potential for reorders. But, to be honest, I wonder how "loyal" customers are. I know for me personally, I just buy stuff from whoever I happen to see at an event whenever I need to reorder products. I can't imagine consistent reorders really ends up being that much of the business for TS consultants, but I could be wrong.

Not to get off the original topic, but, did you know that if you go to the TS website, try our recipes, then scroll drown in the select a product section to the Bountiful Beer Bread Mix, you can get some awesome recipes/uses for our own PC Beer Bread Mix. I subsitute ours for theirs all the time.

I like to check out the recipes. I have a bunch of TS stuff in my pantry. Just love it!

Shawnna said:
As for making 3800 a month...I would love that, but not if it means I have to spend every night away from my children and husband. Money is not everything. I currently work full time outside my home. I have a great job and make a decent income for my area, but I want to spend more time with my children so I am thinking about quitting after Christmas. I have really been praying about this. It would leave me more time to help my husband in his restaurant, more time to see my kids and attend their activities, and it would free up more time for me to work my PC business.

I am hoping to be able to quit my job at the first of the year too!! I love my day job, but would love to be at home with my 2 year old son and want to be at home before we have our next child. My husband and I have been praying for months. I am right there on feeling God is telling me to quit and depend on Him to provide. My husband wants Him to provide BEFORE I quit, ha!

Last edited:
Jennifer,

I hope you are able to make the switch to stay at home with your kids. My husband was feeling the same way about providing before I quit but we made the jump 18 months ago and God has definately been providing. It was a big leap of faith because I made about 60% of our total income. My kids are actually in First and Third grade this year so I had people asking if this wasn't the wrong time to do it because they would be in school all day anyway. I feel they need you just as much then as when they're little. I enjoy the summers with them and being involved in their school. If you had asked us a couple of years ago if we could make the change we would have thought no way. God has blessed us with so many things (monetary and not) and we have found that we can be content and actually happy with less. I think the kids are appreciating the costs of things more now and I know they love the change in the stress level and business of our lives.

Good luck and God Bless!

Michele

Thank you, please, remember us in your prayers. I do have a "bite" on a book keeping job I could do from home (I already have one) that would probably seal the deal. I want to be able to be involved when he goes to school too. And am becoming more involved in childrens activities at church too.

((Fingers crossed!))

And all of my Cheffer friends are always in my prayers! I have quite a list!

I am doing a party exchange with a lady in my town that sells TS Iwill let you guys know how my party for her turns out... I love their foods though!!!

Becky,

I totally agree with you on the reorders. I don't stay loyal to a specific rep for that stuff, or even the candles for that matter. they always highlight the repeat order to try to convince a recruit to sign--but I don't see that as something to count on.

I have repeat customers with my business, but it's because I've built that relationship.

I have a recruit who was going between us and PL and she tried to use the repeat orders line with me, and I point blank asked her, "how many times have you personally looked that specific consultant up to order from her, rather than just order it from the next party that comes along". she said, "ya know, you're right. I never have". End of story, she signed that night with me:)

My personal thought is that PC is more personable.... I found that when I walk into the grocery store I get hey look it's the Pampered Chef Lady..... I am the only consultant in town at this present time( I am working on recurits) But I am have a client based that I get return customers becasue I take my time at each show with each guest and talk to them. I have been to other home parties where it is hurry up and fill out the order form and write your check and get out of my face type of a consultant... I am so glad that I have taken the time!!!!

Yes... The whole concept of TPC is spending time with people and finding out what their needs are, instead of pushing something on them. I agree!!

So... I went to my first TS show last night. I had a good time. I liked how the samples were passed around. The consultant really didn't seem to have to do much, which was nice. She just set up a display and talked about the products. The host contacted me today and said that for every $100 in sales, she got $10 in free product. So, she told me that she got $60 in free prod. Doing the math in my head, she had a $600 show. When I think about what our hosts get, I thought, "That's all she got?" Yikes. She (the host) really did ALL of the work. The consultant opened the show with her rules "Don't be rude and make faces, don't double dip..." she was nice enough but the rules put me off a bit. They also encouraged everyone to have their order shipped to their house, that it was much better than other companies that make the host distribute the order and they don't. They said shipping to the customer's home is 10% of the order. Now, I have never been to a TS show before, but I have placed orders and the host did deliver them to me. If there are any TS consultants on this site, I'd love to know what they do. And is this something (indiv. shipping) something I should consider promoting more?

I had a TS party a couple years ago... LOVE thier Caramel.. and I think it was a decent party but it would have been low for our averages... and noone...not even me.. .ever reordered...she never contacted me either... but the caramel was SO good ... best when eaten with .... a spoon!

I love TS! I've been to a number of parties and know quite a few consultants (which I think is more of a dis-service to those consultants, because there isn't one I'm loyal to). I recently received an order from a gal at work who did a "book party". And, yes, the hostess delivered the product after the company had delivered it to the consultant, the consultant to the hostess, and finally the hostess to the guest. Anne - my feeling is the consultant doesn't want to mess with the delivery. I have ALWAYS known it to work that way. I'm glad they are stepping away from the inventory, but I think it's kind of like Mary Kay. If you want to be able to complete orders immediately, carry inventory, if not, don't! But, in talking about loyalty, with this most recent order, there was a flyer in there front and back that said "At a Glance". It had every current product available, item # & price. The consultant put her label at the bottom. I stuck it to the side of my fridge! I thought, what a great idea! Now if I ever need something else, I can see the products and prices right there and I can give her a quick ring! She was very quick in sending in the order and I felt I got my products within a very reasonable amount of time. I have had trouble in the past with consultants who carried inventory, because they would have to have a minimum order to place their inventory order with the company. So, if I ordered something she was out of, I had to wait until she placed another large order before I got my product. Anyway, enough of my rambling, I do love TS products, I use them all the time! But, as a Direct Sales company, Pampered Chef just can't be beat! :D
~Jen

chefjenibel said:
But, in talking about loyalty, with this most recent order, there was a flyer in there front and back that said "At a Glance". It had every current product available, item # & price. The consultant put her label at the bottom. I stuck it to the side of my fridge! I thought, what a great idea! Now if I ever need something else, I can see the products and prices right there and I can give her a quick ring!

What a great idea to do for anyone that orders a PC pantry item.

I had my first tastefully simple party last week, I only had two people show up for the show, which totaly bummed me out, She went over the rules about not making faces, and no double dipping, I DID ALL OF THE WORK.... I was wore out by the time the party started, I didn't even want to pay attention to the party I just wanted to go take a hot bath and go to bed...... I decided I wouldn't put my hostess through that much work.

And here is a Pampered Pantry "sheet" to give to customers when they order for easy reordering.

Attachments

• Reorder_Pampered_Pantry.doc
    182 KB · Views: 359
I would think the "rules" are more like what manners should be.

It's kind of like the duh factor with the "rules" plus I had no clue how she was going to do the show, so I was using simple additions stuff for dips and such... my kitchen went from clean to an uproaer in two seconds!!

tlennhoff said:
And here is a Pampered Pantry "sheet" to give to customers when they order for easy reordering.

That's great! You came up with that very quickly. Nice. :)

I went to my first TS party at the end of September, and ended up bookin one for Oct 22... I'm really looking forward to it... though I hadn't thought much about the food I will be making, She gave me a back full of stuff... I understand it is simple, quick...etc... but I'll just have to see HOW simple and quick! It is a lot of food...like 10 things...and I'll keep the leftovers, but how many dips do I really want as left overs?

I ordered the Merlot Sauce - Anne... I'm glad to hear it's wonderful! It wasn't tasted at the show I went to ...it just sounded yummy!
I also got the Apple Cake, Wheat Beer Bread and the Dried Tomato& Garlic Pesto Mix...
I'd love to see PC come out with a Wheat Beer Bread!
Anyway...
I've invited a ton of people and right now have about 10 confirmed and about another 9 maybes... and several who haven't RSVP'd yet...
I've had people asking to come! TWO of my September Hosts, I wouldn't normally invite hosts to something like this, but when they mentioned about sending out invites, and not hearing back, I let them know that I understand because of my TS show...and they want to come!
And I have an outside order... I'm trying to do what I want my hosts to do! I have definitely OVER invited!

We'll see, I'm looking forward to being the HOST !!

The strawberry-rhubarb fruit spread is amazing!

Someone in my cluster did a loaf-to-loaf comparison of TS beer bread and ours, using the same type of beer and the same type of pan (a PC stoneware loaf pan, of course!). We all thought that ours had better flavor and was lighter in texture. Plus, ours comes with enough to make 2 loaves, TS only makes one.

Glad you like the Merlot!

My TS party was tonight...
I had 10 ladies come... two outside orders before the show...and another one called after the show...
My sales are at $486... she got two definite bookings, and I think two potential bookings, but no date set.

I thought the food was very simple to whip up... the consultant brought another 10 things that she made...
I'm just very confused about the Host Program...and I"m sure I'll get to $500...but if you look at the chart on the website..the level goes:
Level 1
Party Sales: $200
Number of Bookings: 0
• $20 or more in products
• Leaf Dish

Level 2
Party Sales: $400
Number of Bookings: 1
• $40 or more in products
• Leaf Dish & Dip Bowl OR 2 products at 50% off

Level 3
Party Sales: $600
Number of Bookings: 2
• $60 or more in products
• Leaf Dish & Bread Baker OR 3 products at 50% off

Level 4
Party Sales: $800
Number of Bookings: 3
• $80 or more in products
• Leaf Dish & Pitcher OR 4 products at 50% off

Level 5
Party Sales: $1,000
• $100 or more in products
• Leaf Dish, Dip Bowl & Pitcher OR 5 products at 50% off

Level 6
Party Sales: $1,500
• $150 or more in products
• Entire Host Collection OR 8 products at 50% off

So where exactly do I fit in?? I"m currently at the $400 level...but with 2 bookings...
When I get to the $500 level...do I stay at the $400 benefits...??
It just isn't clear to me...and for a $500 show... just doesn't seem to get ya as much!
plus...I'd pay shipping...OR get less free product in order to not pay shipping.
But ...I'm happy with any thing free! So I'll take it :)

UGH! tHAT'S very CONFUSING!

Several people that I work with like TS. I am trying to woe them to PC with some free samples of our pantry items. I know one lady who loves their garlic rub. I sold her two of our spices and told her to pick out a couple more and I would give her a free sample of them. I need to order supplies anyway and maybe I'll pick up a loyal customer along the way.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
milkangel
  • chefkristin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefkristin
  • Teresa Lynn
  • General Chat
Replies