• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do You Decide What to Take to the Show?

In summary, the speakers discuss the challenge of bringing the necessary items to cooking shows without overloading themselves. They suggest taking only what is needed for the recipe and considering the ease of sale, multiple uses, weight, and seasonality of the products. They also recommend using a checklist and investing in a rolling suitcase for easier transportation of items. It is important to not let the recipe dictate the products you bring and to prioritize based on the products' ability to sell and create desire.
Laura4
I've just 2 cooking shows under my belt but this is killing me, LOL!!!

Obviously I gotta quit taking the whole shabang with me.

The DCB and at least one pan, some knives. I take my consultant kit with all those goodies. I take the tool turnabout and everything I've accumulated in there and somehow my spring goodies have been hitching a ride with me now too. :grumpy:

So what do you take?

Laura4 said:
I've just 2 cooking shows under my belt but this is killing me, LOL!!!

Obviously I gotta quit taking the whole shabang with me.

The DCB and at least one pan, some knives. I take my consultant kit with all those goodies. I take the tool turnabout and everything I've accumulated in there and somehow my spring goodies have been hitching a ride with me now too. :grumpy:

So what do you take?

Tell me there's a checklist I can print off. LOL!!!!

Take what you need to do the recipe.

Ask the host if there's anything she needs to see or if any guests are interested in seeing a particular item. Depending on what they are you need the guest special and an upcoming WOW host special.

Other than that restrain yourself. The pics in the catalog are amazing and show the products well. I say that but always need to bring this... and that...

Someone at our cluster meeting is having the same issue and I guess I do not understand. As Beth said take what you need for the recipe and maybe 1-2 other key pieces.

If it's that you do not know what you need you need to practice the recipe and have a piece of paper handy to take notes. Write down any tool that you can use for the recipe and break it down for yourself if need be. For years I would do this then on a full sheet of paper I would write out the recipe (simple and bold) on one side then write down all of the tools on the other. Put the sheet in a clear page protector and then you have your instructions and a checklist. If you are featuring 1-2 recipes you will be able to reuse this time and again.

There are a lot of things to take into consideration when deciding what to take to a show:

• Ease of sale

• Multiple uses
  • Weight or how easily broken

• Seasonality

• How easy is it to create desire

• A product's ability to create desire for a show or the bus opp
  • Recipe

There is so many things. The recipe should be the last thing you consider. pick your products first based on their ability to sell and create desire, then pick your recipe. Don't let your recipe drive your products!! There is so much to consider here that I dedicate an entire hour to this topic on the http://www.createacashflowshow.com/home-party-plan-sales educational series.

I was just thinking about this. I have a show next week in an upstairs apartment that is a good ways from the parking lot. I usually make 4 or 5 trips in and the out at the end too. I need to make sure we pick and easy recipe so we don't have to take too much, especially since she doesn't have much room.

If you are taking 4-5 trips into the house then you are taking entirely too much all the time! 3 trips max should do it otherwise you are making it look to hard. It is hard to schedule shows and sign reps when it looks like you are moving in! http://www.createacashflowshow.com/category/show-presentations. :p

Part of the problem is that I don't have all of those nice big rolley suitcase things yet. I am carrying my DCB by hand and by itself so that I don't break it b/c I don't have a case for it yet. When I fill up the big bag thing that comes in the kit, it is entirely to heavy to carry. I agree that I am carrying too many heavy items, but i am using what I have. Don't have lots of cutting boards, but I do have the bamboo carving board, so am taking that as a work surface (just one example).

Thanks for the link Deb. Just took a quick peek and there is tons of good infor there.

You can get a handy dandy roller thing at Staples or Office Max for about $20.00. I actually store many things inside the box it came in then in the roller case.

lesliec said:
Part of the problem is that I don't have all of those nice big rolley suitcase things yet. I am carrying my DCB by hand and by itself so that I don't break it b/c I don't have a case for it yet. When I fill up the big bag thing that comes in the kit, it is entirely to heavy to carry. I agree that I am carrying too many heavy items, but i am using what I have. Don't have lots of cutting boards, but I do have the bamboo carving board, so am taking that as a work surface (just one example).

Get a large grooved cutting board and stop carrying the bamboo carving board. First of all it's too heavy, second it is not a cutting surface. I'd also get the stainless mixing bowls - you can carry all 3 with less weight than the classic batter bowl.

Pad the DCB with a towel and put it in a tote - even if it's not PC. Then put the other heavier items in a medium tote and the light items in your bag that came with the kit. You should be able to carry that in 2 trips. If it doesn't fit in those 3 bags don't take it. Use what you have and then, when you can, treat yourself to PC bags so you can look more professional.

I don't suggest you even bother with a rolling tote or cart because they often add more weight then they're worth - unless everything is paved and without stairs where you are. Gravel and steps require you to carry rather than roll.

BethCooks4U said:
I don't suggest you even bother with a rolling tote or cart because they often add more weight then they're worth - unless everything is paved and without stairs where you are. Gravel and steps require you to carry rather than roll.

I totally agree! I bought every carrying tool around (including the rolling bag), and most just mean extra trips in and out of the house. My rolling case is in garage and now only comes out when i'm doing a fair or mall show (it has my cash N carry items in it). The problem with the rolling case is it's heavy EMPTY! I have a SUV and I have to lift my bags pretty high to get them in the back so this won't work.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a tendency to take to much too... but i always take:

*dirty dishes tub with the clean dishes for the recipe(s) (i take 3 cutting boards).

*tool turn about (for can-opener, kernal cutter, juicer, knives, mix n chop, extra mix n scrapers, chef tongs, salad choppers)

*carry all bag - catalogs, folders/lapboards

I"ll include the following in one of the above totes:

- Medium Sheet Pan
- Next month's Host special - (if i'm not using it at a party, this helps them book now)
- This month's Guest Special - to get them to buy more

I TOTALLY agree with the seasonal products. This month, I have been taking the new grilling tools, new grill tray, kernel cutter and also the measure mix n pour for making our own salad dressing. I do take at EVERY show one of the aluminum pans to pass around, a collapsible bowl, a piece of cookware. If you are new and don't have these products, mention them and their uses.

Other than that, I take the next month host specials, the current month guest special and just what I need to do my demo.

Great thread! I have realized that I kinda took too much with me at the few shows I have done! Too many trips to the car and thank goodness I've known all my Hosts very well so far, but soon I will be having hosts that I am not best friends with and I don't think they would care much for me moving a ton of stuff into their house and taking FOREVER to move it back out after the show is over!!

I just take the tools the recipe calls for in the large tote I got in my Consultant Kit. I also bring the Tool Turnabout. Then I bring my Dirty Dishes bin, with the large Sheet Pan, sometimes the DCB if it's not being demonstrated, and my stainless and executive 8 inch Saute pans for the ice cube trick in there. ;) Then of course I bring a bag with all my catalogs, order forms, host/guest specials, door prize, "bring a guest" prize and all that jazz.

Wow. Thinking about it, it still seems like I take too much! :p

I struggle with this because I'm a visual shopper, so I tend to want to take a lot of products so people can see it in person too. But that makes for a HEAVY bag!

I've gotten better at paring down but I have to admit I HATE hearing the "did you bring XYZ?" Although I do realize I don't own every product so sometimes they are asking for things I don't own, and I DO tell my hosts to find out if there's anything in particular people want to see and then I ask her on my last call if there are any such products. But still...

Deciding what to bring is a work in progress for me too!

I admit I struggle with taking too much. I try, really I do, to cut down what I take--but it is so hard when I can fit so many things in my bags! I have listened to those who say only to take what is necessary for the demo, those who say take what is in the starter kit, those who say take one item from each category (i.e., bamboo, bake ware, stone, etc.), and those who say take only enough for one trip from the car so as to not scare off potential recruits. I feel, however, that my customers buy what I bring--they really do.So, what do I take? I have finally resolved myself into only 2 trips from the car vs. the 3 I used to do (I admit I am getting older...). Obviously I take what is needed for the demo, I always try to take either the trifle or DCB in a separate bag--I can fit the salad spinner on top of either of these in a reusable shopping bag, I'm taking all the BBQ tools and one of the grill baskets, cookie sheet, food chopper, 2 cutting boards (I always sell the Lg. Groove Cutting Bd), a few knives and tools, garlic press, can opener, bamboo bowl and new salad claws, stackable cooling rack, both prep cups, batter bowl, collapsible bowl, one stainless bowl (I like the idea, though, of them being lighter than the batter bowl as noted above), a couple rubs, 10" saute, and whatever else I can fit into two large PC bags---oh my, too much!! I can carry one of the large PC carry bags full, along with my shoulder bag with all the paper stuff in one trip, and another large PC bag and my reusable bag with the trifle or DCB in another trip. I just can't seem to cut it back any more than that. We all seem to struggle with this.

I take only what I need for the recipe, and a sample of the items that are on special for the current month and the next month.I'm doing a show today. The recipe is strawberry cheesecake trifle. I'll be taking the trifle bowl, measuring cups, stainless steel bowl for mixing, whisk, scraper, knife, cutting board, measuring spoons.I'll take my pink products (all of which will fit in the reusable shopping bag) to set up a HWC display. And I'll take the small collapsible bowl and either the grill tray or grill basket to show for next month.I should be able to get this stuff inside in two trips!

I tend to bring too much and it hurts my recruiting efforts. I want to have products to show if people ask, but then when I bring up recruiting people tell me, 'I don't want to have to lug ALL THAT around."

I'm torn on what to do/bring.

I take the things that came in my kit and starting in June, I'm not taking everything!
I find myself setting everything up, just to put everything back into my bag. I just like
to have things to show off and have people look/feel if they want. Not anymore..

I feel like I take a ton of stuff to shows, but people really want to touch and feel the items. I feel like it helps to see the items. I have a lightweight rolling tote that I got from Wally World for about $20, it is a Rubbermaid and it folds up and snaps closed for storage. I put my catalogs, notebook and other paperwork in the bottom and put my DCB and/or the Trifle bowl on top of that (wrapped in a towel to protect them). To transport, I put the tote on top of the rolling tote and only have 2 things to take inside.

I will take the kit and that is pretty much it. I try to focus on recipes that feature the kit products. I don't bring a whole lot. I like to walk in with my kit and computer bag--one trip in and out. I really focus on making my job look as easy as possible. I mean, its easy anyway, but I try to make it more so. LOL

Ask to host if there is an item or two she really wants to see you demo. Take that and items from the starter kit you need to demo your show. Keep the demo short, and you're good to go!

I didn't read the ENTIRE thread, so if someone stated this, and I missed it, I apologize for repeating, but - ask your host what PC products she already owns, and try to decide on a recipe from there.

Also, go with recipes which use fewer or less heavy tools. For the show I did last night, I brought the tools for the Quesadilla Cups with Nectarine Salsa (which, the host decided not to make - but, no big deal, since all the tools together were maybe a couple of pounds!), my QSP for Slap Your Mama Margaritas, Dots Beverage Glasses, and the tools for a Flip Cake. I carried two PC Reusable Shopping Bags and the box for the Glasses, and that was it. One trip to my car when I left, one trip into the host's house, one trip back out, one trip into my house when I got home. AND, 3 people have come on Facebook this morning to tell me what a fun show it was.

I keep saying, it doesn't matter what you bring, people are still going to order straight out of the catalog, because of recommendations from other guests, or what was used in the recipes (for example, 3 people ordered the Lemon Sprinkles last night, and one the QSP, because they all want to make the Margaritas at home! haha). Also, the less you carry, the more likely you'll get bookings and recruits (I have two bookings from last night, as well as an 'outside' booking, and two potential recruits!). Sales-wise, this was not my best show, but future-potential wise, it was awesome. A lot of that, I'm positive, was because I didn't overwhelm them with a product showcase.

I did much better with my show this week. I made one trip in and one trip out. I was overloaded and should've done it in two, but I made it. I was glad b/c it was a small apt and there wasn't much room to set things up anyways, so it worked out. I just need to continue to do this.

Usually, I end up bringing the consultant tote, carry-all tote, TTA tote, and my paperwork bag. Even when I try to pack light, and just take what I need for the recipe, more things just end up jumping into my bags. :D

babywings76 said:
Usually, I end up bringing the consultant tote, carry-all tote, TTA tote, and my paperwork bag. Even when I try to pack light, and just take what I need for the recipe, more things just end up jumping into my bags. :D

Oh, it is so tough for me to not rent a truck and bring everything! LOL

Or....you can continue to take even the kitchen sink as I have chosen to do over the last 12 years and join me as I recover from Rotator Cuff surgery with complimentary bone spurs in the shoulder as well. I am now restricted to a 10lb limit, (that'l change the routine!)
I'm just sayin...........

pjpamchef said:
Or....you can continue to take even the kitchen sink as I have chosen to do over the last 12 years and join me as I recover from Rotator Cuff surgery with complimentary bone spurs in the shoulder as well. I am now restricted to a 10lb limit, (that'l change the routine!)
I'm just sayin...........

I'm feeling your pain, literally! I can no longer lift my bag due to pain in my left shoulder. The ortho doc said the MRI doesn't show any tears or spurs but a bad case of Tendonitis of the Rotator Cuff. So far cortisone nor Ibuprofin is kickin' it. I can 'live with it' and hope it just falls off (haha) or looking at the surgery myself to give the RC room to reduce swelling and pinching of the nerves. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Did they do arthroschopic surgery?

It was suggested to me to take the starter kit and then any items that were needed for the recipe that weren't in the kit.

BethCooks4U said:
Take what you need to do the recipe.

Ask the host if there's anything she needs to see or if any guests are interested in seeing a particular item. Depending on what they are you need the guest special and an upcoming WOW host special.

Other than that restrain yourself. The pics in the catalog are amazing and show the products well. I say that but always need to bring this... and that...

I do this exactly, but I want to talk about the recipe. I print off the recipe. I imagine I'm making the recipe step by step. I highlight the recipe where it says our specific PC products, I then write-in anything I see myself using that is not on the recipe. For example, I'm cutting something, but it doesn't say cutting board. I'm pulling something out of the oven, I get hot pads. It's a strategy that has worked for me. I rarely leave something important at help.

Maybe because I am still new at this....and don't have a ton of stuff yet, but I take everything I own! I love all of the products I have and I want customers to love them and play with them too! I love the rolling bag! Last night I had a party and wheeled in my rolling bag, with my DCB on top of it (in the box) and then my tote from my kit on top of it. I had the tool turn about, cutting boards, pantry products and the trifle bowl inside of the top bag, and i put my hot pads around the trifle to protect it...In the rolling tote I had the 2 batter bowls, micro cooker, bar pan, sheet pan, cooling rack, ultimate mandoline, scrapers, rotary grater, and microplane grater! I did it all in one trip! Even carried my purse and bag w/ catalogs and stuff in it! Here is a pic of my set up...Its not the best pic in the world, but you get the idea!
PCtotesetup.jpg

~Abigail

I have the first of six shows throughout this and next month. And that's not counting the one that wants to book off of the show Friday night that I know about. Ay yay yay. LOL!!! I'm thrilled, obviously but suddenly things SNOWBALLED. :love::love: and now I really need to buckle down and get organized. LOL!!

So I found a sheet on here, retooled it to my needs. Here's hoping that this will help some of you as well! :thumbup:

Attachments

• How to Pack for a Show.doc
    36.5 KB · Views: 563
I was doing very well with two trips in but as soon as all the new summer products came out, I shot that all to h e double hockey sticks. I gotta stop doing that. It has to be a total turn off to people to see you hauling in everything but the kitchen sink! No wonder I can not get anyone to sell. I mean if I were a 120 pound women watching all this crap coming in and all the stairs and dragging, I would not want to do it either!
And Deb Bixler - thank you! I am gonna check out some of the info and I think I need something new to get me going!

I'm so proud of myself. I packed my car this morning for my show tonight and I packed only the back of my little Vibe. And I could still fit my kids in the car to take them to my mom's house this morning. LOL!!!!

I'm new and have been considering this also. I'm using a regular medium/large suitcase with wheels. I can put my paperwork in the outside pockets. Inside I will put items for the recipe and other smaller, lighter products to have on display. I only see the need to have 1 piece of stoneware with me and a few glass items. I do believe that people want to see and feel certain pieces to buy it!

1. What are the essential items to bring to a Pampered Chef cooking show?

The essential items to bring to a Pampered Chef cooking show include the Deep Covered Baker (DCB), at least one pan, some knives, and your consultant kit with all the necessary tools and utensils. These items are crucial for demonstrating the Pampered Chef products and preparing the recipes.

2. Should I bring all my Pampered Chef products to the show?

No, it is not necessary to bring all your Pampered Chef products to the show. It is best to choose a few key products that you will be demonstrating and leave the rest at home. This will make your demonstration more organized and efficient.

3. Can I bring my own personal kitchen tools to the show?

Yes, you can bring your own personal kitchen tools to the show if you prefer. However, keep in mind that Pampered Chef products are specifically designed for use in cooking shows and may make the demonstration smoother and more effective.

4. How do I decide which recipes to prepare at the cooking show?

When deciding which recipes to prepare at the cooking show, consider the season, your audience's dietary restrictions, and which products you want to showcase. It's also a good idea to choose recipes that you are comfortable preparing and can easily demonstrate to your guests.

5. Can I bring new products or seasonal items to the show?

Yes, you can bring new products or seasonal items to the show to showcase and promote to your guests. Just be sure to practice using them beforehand so you can confidently demonstrate their features and benefits to your audience.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • Kelly8
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • kdangel518