• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Did You Season Your Fluted Stoneware?

I asked the Test Kitchen about this and they said it is fine, just don't do it on the flat (non-sided) stones as it could cause a problem with sticking.
MaryLou
Okay...so I use it to bake cakes...that is NOT going to get it good and seasoned. Suggestions?

I am going to try doing the grands biscuits in mine...like the pull apart bread. I am hoping that will work. I wouldn't mind more suggestions myself!

I have heard that if you bake a meatloaf in it, that will help season it. Also things like cornbread have more oils in them so try that.

I have used mine for the microwave cakes and have just oiled it really good before using. I haven't had too much problem with sticking.

Someone shared a seasoning recipe. I'd give credit if I could remember who it was. However, my wee little brain did not retain that information.I recently seasoned several pieces for a good customer. It works really well. I share the recipe with people purchasing stoneware at my shows.You’ll need:
1/2 cup Crisco
1/4 cup saltMix Crisco and salt. Spread over surfaces you want to be nonstick on stoneware. (This is enough to do the Stoneware Fluted Pan. You may have mixture left over.)Bake in a 250 degree oven 30 minutes. (You can put a piece of foil on the rack below the one your stoneware is on.) Take the stone out of the oven and let it cool with the melty goop still there. When cool enough to touch, take a paper towel or silicone brush and smear it all around, making some attempt to contact every part of the surface. The salt rubs on it and smooths it just a little.Pop it back in the oven. Leave it for another 30 minutes. Turn the oven off, and leave the stoneware in overnight. This allows the oils to seep deeply into the stone. (Bottom line, it lasts longer than if you just take it out, let it cool, and rinse it off.) The next morning, rinse/scrape under hot water and tada! Nonstick stoneware! It works wonders for new stones. Why does it work? The salt acts as a sandpaper - the "grit" is activated when you rub it around. And, unlike sand or sandpaper, salt rinses out/melts away under hot water. The smoother surface and the heat/oil saturation, make each work together to season the stones. Interesting note: This works well on cast iron, too.

I did a small chicken in it in the oven a few time... I felt kindof bad though having to "violate" the chicken and all, but it turned out well :D

I've done meatloaf and the Dancing chicken. My stone is fairly seasoned and my cakes still stick sometimes even when I oil really well.

raebates said:
Someone shared a seasoning recipe. I'd give credit if I could remember who it was. However, my wee little brain did not retain that information.

I recently seasoned several pieces for a good customer. It works really well. I share the recipe with people purchasing stoneware at my shows.

You’ll need:
1/2 cup Crisco
1/4 cup salt

Mix Crisco and salt. Spread over surfaces you want to be nonstick on stoneware. (This is enough to do the Stoneware Fluted Pan. You may have mixture left over.)

Bake in a 250 degree oven 30 minutes. (You can put a piece of foil on the rack below the one your stoneware is on.) Take the stone out of the oven and let it cool with the melty goop still there. When cool enough to touch, take a paper towel or silicone brush and smear it all around, making some attempt to contact every part of the surface. The salt rubs on it and smooths it just a little.

Pop it back in the oven. Leave it for another 30 minutes. Turn the oven off, and leave the stoneware in overnight. This allows the oils to seep deeply into the stone. (Bottom line, it lasts longer than if you just take it out, let it cool, and rinse it off.) The next morning, rinse/scrape under hot water and tada! Nonstick stoneware! It works wonders for new stones.

Why does it work? The salt acts as a sandpaper - the "grit" is activated when you rub it around. And, unlike sand or sandpaper, salt rinses out/melts away under hot water. The smoother surface and the heat/oil saturation, make each work together to season the stones.

Interesting note: This works well on cast iron, too.

This method was shared with us by Scott...it is Wonderful & I tell everyone that buys this stone about it! I still spray because of all the nooks & crannies....HTH

Ginger428 said:
This method was shared with us by Scott...it is Wonderful & I tell everyone that buys this stone about it! I still spray because of all the nooks & crannies....HTH
I asked the Test Kitchen about this and they said it is fine, just don't do it on the flat (non-sided) stones as it could cause a fire in your oven.

I do the chicken as well....

pamperedlinda said:
I asked the Test Kitchen about this and they said it is fine, just don't do it on the flat (non-sided) stones as it could cause a fire in your oven.

I tell my customers Do NOT do this with the flat stones, cuz when the crisco melts it will slide off....;)

Many thanks to Scott! (And, also to Ginger for refreshing my memory.)For flat stones I recommend that people put a piece of foil on the rack below where they have their stone. I tell them to turn the edges up just a bit to catch any overflowing ooze.

These are some great tips!

I make chocolate chip cookies on everything. Yes, I will just take the dough and schmoosh it up the sides. Makes my family happy :).

The only question I have is where it says "This allows the oils to seep deeply into the stone". I thought that doesn't happen w/ our stones? I thought it just forms a seasoned layer that only is on top, not through it?

For the Fluted Stone I use Baker's Joy and it's seasoned it very, very well and now I don't use anything - even for my cakes!

I make meatloaf as the 1st thing I cook in any of our stoneware that has a lip on it and it works great.

babywings76 said:
The only question I have is where it says "This allows the oils to seep deeply into the stone". I thought that doesn't happen w/ our stones? I thought it just forms a seasoned layer that only is on top, not through it?

Exactly! only water molecules absorb into the stone

1. How do I season my fluted stoneware?

To season your fluted stoneware, start by filling it with hot water and letting it soak for 15-20 minutes. Then, empty the water and dry the stoneware completely. Rub a small amount of vegetable oil or shortening all over the inside of the stoneware, including the fluted edges. Place it in a cold oven and heat to 350°F for one hour. Let it cool before using.

2. Can I season my fluted stoneware in the microwave?

No, it is not recommended to season stoneware in the microwave. The high heat can cause the stoneware to crack or break. It is best to season it in the oven following the instructions provided.

3. How often do I need to season my fluted stoneware?

After the initial seasoning, you do not need to season your fluted stoneware again. However, it is important to wash it by hand with hot water and a mild detergent after each use to maintain its non-stick surface.

4. Can I use cooking spray on my seasoned fluted stoneware?

No, it is not recommended to use cooking spray on stoneware as it can create a sticky buildup over time. The seasoning process provides a natural non-stick surface.

5. Can I use soap to clean my seasoned fluted stoneware?

It is best to avoid using soap on stoneware as it can absorb into the porous material and affect the flavor of your food. Instead, use hot water and a mild detergent to clean the stoneware after each use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• stefani2
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Beckycooks
  • casescafe
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • emo812