• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Organizing a Host Club: Benefits & Challenges

I have one gal who will do one every 6 mos, one every year. It keeps my business on track. But I never call it a club and I never charge them a fee (refundable or not)In summary, the conversation is discussing the idea of a Host Club, where a group of people take turns hosting parties for a direct sales company like Pampered Chef. The benefits for the hosts include maintaining their discount and receiving the host special, while the consultant benefits from having a guaranteed party every month. Some consultants charge a fee to participate in the club, while others offer incentives such as a higher discount or free products. The success of a Host Club relies on good host coaching and encouraging hosts to invite guests and
otisbg
Gold Member
Hi
Has anyone ever organized a Host club? One of my regular hosts suggested that. She belongs to a Stamping Group and they do that on a regular basis. She suggested that I find 12 hosts - or send an email out and ask for a volunteer for each month who would be committed to holding a show, whether it be cooking or catalog and be responsible for getting at least $200.00 in orders for their respective month. She said that her group sends in $20.00 to lock in their month and then that $20.00 is refunded when their show is held. What are your thoughts on this?:confused:
Sure would alleviate some stress at times when family or work emergencies take priority.

A consultant who attends my cluster meetings has talked about that. I don't know that she paid into it, but that was her first experience with PC. There was a group of them who took turns hosting parties, one a month. This was so ingrained that the consultant never bothered to offer the business opportunity to anyone. She got into PC because she moved and saw it as a way to earn money and meet people.

I've seen it suggested. Can't say I've ever considered it, though.

My director does a Cooking Club/Host Club and succeeds with it every month. I have people tell me that they'd love to do it. But, have a tough time committing to the $20 a month.

I must be missing something. I can see why a consultant would like this (guaranteed party every month), but what's the benefit/incentive to the host to do this?

the benefit would be the host special and maintaining their discount. I have a few regular hosts who are always being asked by co-workers or neighbors, when they are having a show. I know that they would make excellent consultants but the time is not right for them or the committment is not there. They are very happy earning free $$$ to spend on products and having a reason to get friends together. When asked if/when they are having a Pampered Chef show, they can reply - "my next show will be in March" ( or whenever). Believe it or not - the gal who suggested this, said she feels important saying she is part of The Host Club for her Stamping business....and felt honored that her consultant asked her.

I had a downline gal who maintained her business for TWO years with cooking clubs...The thing that makes these the most successful is to HOST COACH every month like that month's host has never done it before. For each host to get the most out of their month, they need to be inviting other people and passing the catalog at work, church, etc., just like a "regular" host would. A minimum party is still a party, but how much better to use the regular group as a launching point to make an AWESOME party with great benefits...

HTH!

I do something similar but I do NOT charge $20. I just ask 40 people to consider picking a month in the next year to commit to hosting a show. If they stick to their original month and pick a date, etc, I give them 70% off the guest special (instead of 60%) and an extra $10 fpv. This is my way of thanking them for their commitment. I don't let more than 2 people "sign up" for a month except March, June, September, and November.(Free Virtual High Five to the first person who can tell me why) so I generally get about 16 or 17 people to sign up.

I generally ask my hosts after their party when they want to do their next one. It gets them thinking and I highlight all the possibilities. I have one gal who will do one every 6 mos, one every year. It keeps my business on track. But I never call it a club and I never charge them a fee (refundable or not)

ShelbyMichalek said:
I do something similar but I do NOT charge $20. I just ask 40 people to consider picking a month in the next year to commit to hosting a show. If they stick to their original month and pick a date, etc, I give them 70% off the guest special (instead of 60%) and an extra $10 fpv. This is my way of thanking them for their commitment. I don't let more than 2 people "sign up" for a month except March, June, September, and November.(Free Virtual High Five to the first person who can tell me why) so I generally get about 16 or 17 people to sign up.

I generally ask my hosts after their party when they want to do their next one. It gets them thinking and I highlight all the possibilities. I have one gal who will do one every 6 mos, one every year. It keeps my business on track. But I never call it a club and I never charge them a fee (refundable or not)

Well the $20 isn't a "fee". They spend $20 on products.

ShelbyMichalek said:

So, what you're doing is offering something additional for your hosts to commit to doing another show with you in the future?

Well the $20 isn't a "fee". They spend $20 on products.
Like I said though, reimbursable or not. I understand they'll spend it, but many people do not feel comfortable with someone else holding what might be called a "retainer fee" which is basically what that $20 is.

skaugchef said:
So, what you're doing is offering something additional for your hosts to commit to doing another show with you in the future?

Right. I don't hold their money and the incentive is highly valuable to them. The thing is, our company provides AMAZING host rewards to help us get shows. We should use them and trust them to work for us. If we go a little beyond them, that's great. But we need to be confident in our business and our company and in turn it makes other people excited about it.
And yes, it works. I have people that WILL book their show 6 to 8 months out. If they're an annual host, they WILL book their show a year out. It may not have a specific date, but they often know when they want it in terms of the month and whether they'll do it at the beginning of the month or the end.

I am a member of a Stampin' Up club - each month we order 25$ in product. We have a class or workshop that is free to go to on a designated night. Each month some one else gets the host benefits. She does 6 members to a club, so every 6 months I sign up. My month to be the host is December. How ever since this is at her house, I don't have invite people or anything. I am commited to buying 25$ in product by the 10th of each month. I get my product at the workshop. No other fees or anything. Of course I spend more than the 25$ a month and I know the few other ladies do too...so come december I should enjoy my host benefits and none of the work... Never thought of doing one for PC though...now my wheels are turning... What a great idea.

Another incentive to do this would be for my members to bring some one new to PC and get additional free product or something...I am new to this and building my business. I like this idea though. Cutting it back to 6 months to try it is an option too. I may run with this one...it will help qualify and build a customer base.

Hope my input was helpful! Have a great day!
Andrea

bearhall04 said:
I am a member of a Stampin' Up club - each month we order 25$ in product. We have a class or workshop that is free to go to on a designated night. Each month some one else gets the host benefits. She does 6 members to a club, so every 6 months I sign up. My month to be the host is December. How ever since this is at her house, I don't have invite people or anything. I am commited to buying 25$ in product by the 10th of each month. I get my product at the workshop. No other fees or anything. Of course I spend more than the 25$ a month and I know the few other ladies do too...so come december I should enjoy my host benefits and none of the work... Never thought of doing one for PC though...now my wheels are turning... What a great idea.

Another incentive to do this would be for my members to bring some one new to PC and get additional free product or something...I am new to this and building my business. I like this idea though. Cutting it back to 6 months to try it is an option too. I may run with this one...it will help qualify and build a customer base.

Hope my input was helpful! Have a great day!
Andrea

I've heard of stamping and scrapbooking clubs like this. I like your idea here where you order before you meet, so you get your products then.

I could envision doing this and then also marketing it as a cooking class for the group members, too. They could vote on what they'd like to focus on, or let the one who is hosting pick. You could offer your home as a back up in case anyone feels like life has gotten too crazy and they don't want to "clean" and get things ready.

You'd have to decide how many members are needed to make it worth it. But if everyone promised to spend $25, you'd need at least 6 members to make it count as a show. But if you want the host to be getting free products, you'd need more.

I've also heard where everyone pays their money essentially to the host. Then that host goes on a shopping spree with the $150. If they want more rewards, then on their month, they try to round up additional orders. The down side to this way would be that people are paying $25 every month and coming home empty handed. KWIM? They have to wait a while for their turn. And what if people flake out. Get their month rewards and don't commit to the rest of them.

If you did it as a cooking class type thing, you could tell people what tools you are highlighting. So they can order those things. They come to the class, learn how to make whatever, and go home feeling prepared to make it. If they don't want those products or already own them, then they just get whatever else they've been wanting to get.

If you did it as a cooking class type thing, you could tell people what tools you are highlighting. So they can order those things. They come to the class, learn how to make whatever, and go home feeling prepared to make it. If they don't want those products or already own them, then they just get whatever else they've been wanting to get.Yep, I was going to do it like a Cooking Class. They'd order that day, get their stuff in a week. They'd learn a new recipe every month. It'd be at my house. I've been promoting it at every show this year. :)

These are some great ideas! I'm new so anything to help boost the business! I'll have to get some wheels turning. :) I like the idea of the cooking class.

As always, my Chef Successers have wonderful ideas. I too have the wheels turning. I do like the cooking class idea - espcially during the winter months. We need to revisit this to do progress reports. :)

skaugchef said:
If you did it as a cooking class type thing, you could tell people what tools you are highlighting. So they can order those things. They come to the class, learn how to make whatever, and go home feeling prepared to make it. If they don't want those products or already own them, then they just get whatever else they've been wanting to get.Yep, I was going to do it like a Cooking Class. They'd order that day, get their stuff in a week. They'd learn a new recipe every month. It'd be at my house. I've been promoting it at every show this year. :)
how is this working out?

Does anyone have a flyer made up for this? Would love to see it..... :)

I, too, have been in one of these clubs with Stampin' Up. I have been in it for years, and honestly don't stamp or scrapbook much, but most of us stay in the group b/c we enjoy the fellowship!!!!! I usually order things that my kids will use. Sure, it's a little overpriced for kids stuff, but I usually spend about $30 (required $20), but worth it for a girls night out.
I have thought about doing this before, but hadn't jumped on board yet. I may definitely get on it for starting in January!!!!! Now the wheels are turning.

DitzyChef said:
how is this working out?

I'm still trying to get enough people to commit to coming & purchasing every month.
I've attached the flyer that I include with the catalogs at my shows.
This is what I've said in e-mails that I've sent out:
Would you like to be a part of my Cooking Club? I'll start the Cooking Club in January. It'll be similar to Stamp'n Up Clubs. There will need to a minimum number of people to start & keep it going. There will need to be a minimum everyone will need to buy/purchase every month. We will draw in January to find out what month you will be the host. The month that your name gets drawn you will get the host special, the free, half price, etc... We will be making & eating a recipe at every Cooking Club. The host can help choose the recipe. The month your are the host you can have another party or just collect orders to make the show total more so you can get more for free (if you want). The minimum we'll need is 10 people & the minimum someone needs to order is $15 (plus shipping & tax). Oh, I forgot to mention that it'll be at my house every month. (So, you won't have to worry about cleaning your house). Plus, I'll buy the ingredients! I'm excited! Please get back with me & let me know the day of the month that works best & what recipe sounds good & let's get started in January!

Attachments

• cooking club flyer-allyson.doc
    26.5 KB · Views: 638
I've been doing 2 Cooking Clubs a month since June and they are great! Very similar to suggestions above and in a nutshell it goes like this:

1. I have 9 members, each month 8 members pay $20 (I collect all the money).

2. The "9th" member is the host and picks 2 recipes we do and provides the ingredients (they don't pay $20)

3. I give the collected $160 to the host to go on a shopping spree. I also host coach the heck out of them to either host their own cooking show or bring in outside orders. :)

4. There is a 9 month commitment which I explain in detail at our "kick off" meeting (very fun, no charge to members just a meet n greet, lasts about 30 min.)

5. All cooking club meetings are held at my house, I do the dishes, pull out all the PC tools necessary and every member gets a "cooking club cookbook (a three ring binder)" in which I provide copies of the recipes each month to the members.

6. So far, my average cooking club closes at $450. I'm guaranteed 2 shows per month (of which I have them scheduled to close before the 15th of each month, so I earn most consultant incentives). Guests are invited to come too, they are required to buy $25 in products. I don't have to get a babysitter and I'm done and wrapped up by bedtime for my kids each time. One is totally kid friendly and some members bring their kids (although every member knows to feed their kids at home first). And one is a Girl's Night Out, no kids.

7. I have a waiting list for a 3rd and 4th club, but I'm going to wait until January to start them up. Also, all my members are now "preferred hosts" and I give them "specials" or additional discounts once in a while. All are getting a PC calendar from me as a thank you for joining and about 60% are resigning at the end of this 9 month commitment.

It works for me:)

ChefKelebel said:
I've been doing 2 Cooking Clubs a month since June and they are great! Very similar to suggestions above and in a nutshell it goes like this:

1. I have 9 members, each month 8 members pay $20 (I collect all the money).

2. The "9th" member is the host and picks 2 recipes we do and provides the ingredients (they don't pay $20)

3. I give the collected $160 to the host to go on a shopping spree. I also host coach the heck out of them to either host their own cooking show or bring in outside orders. :)

4. There is a 9 month commitment which I explain in detail at our "kick off" meeting (very fun, no charge to members just a meet n greet, lasts about 30 min.)

5. All cooking club meetings are held at my house, I do the dishes, pull out all the PC tools necessary and every member gets a "cooking club cookbook (a three ring binder)" in which I provide copies of the recipes each month to the members.

6. So far, my average cooking club closes at $450. I'm guaranteed 2 shows per month (of which I have them scheduled to close before the 15th of each month, so I earn most consultant incentives). Guests are invited to come too, they are required to buy $25 in products. I don't have to get a babysitter and I'm done and wrapped up by bedtime for my kids each time. One is totally kid friendly and some members bring their kids (although every member knows to feed their kids at home first). And one is a Girl's Night Out, no kids.

7. I have a waiting list for a 3rd and 4th club, but I'm going to wait until January to start them up. Also, all my members are now "preferred hosts" and I give them "specials" or additional discounts once in a while. All are getting a PC calendar from me as a thank you for joining and about 60% are resigning at the end of this 9 month commitment.

It works for me:)

Wow! What great results! Would you mind sharing with us how you approached people with this? Do you have an e-mail or a flyer or something that promoted it that you could share?

me too!! I want to know how you got the word out. I love this idea and it seems like all those who attend love it too.

Yes please let me know. I am new consultant and struggling with gettin rolling. This would help. Also, you collect the $20 from each person and the host that month orders $160 in products? I just want to be sure I am undesrtanding. Thanks --- please help!

@bearhall04: Good luck to you as a new consultant and to answer your question, I have a designated part of my kitchen counter that I use for Cooking Club paperwork and before the club arrives, I put out a bowl with sign that says, "drop your club dues here" and I also put the recipe copies and this month guest / host specials and a ready made host packet for the "next month's host". I like to post any specials/upcoming events/HWC/etc. stuff all over my kitchen cabinets. The members like to check them out when we cook. I also leave a catalog and extra order forms in case someone wants to order something there (those orders are added to that cooking club show). ---So, I've collected $160 from the members and the "host" gets to spend it (I usually tell them to spend about $150 so there's enough left over for s/h and tax, especially if they don't want to spend any money out of pocket). I submit their "Cooking Club - GUEST order" as the shopping spree order and then I submit another order as their "Cooking Club - HOST order" and they get whatever Free Product Value, 1/2 price orders, and Monthly Host Specials on that order. ---A side note, the Cooking Club host always qualifies for whatever Monthly Guest Special is available and they like that, they look at that as a bonus. It's really nice for the hosts that bring in extra orders, it's like hosting a show with $150 in outside orders. It can really bump them to a different/higher benefits level. Hope that answers your question.

@ otisbg & babywings: I do have flyers and postcards with the details on the club available, but really the best way to communicate this is through word of mouth. Most people have heard of PC and when I say something like, "I sell Pampered Chef and I like to take my business in a different direction so in addition to hosting cooking shows, I offer a cooking club" and I usually get lots of questions. If they are interested, I don't sign them up there, I add them to my waiting list. Once I hit 9 people, I contact them all and invite them to a "meet and greet" in my home (this way they know where I live and can check it out before signing up). There's no "contract" but I do stress how important it is that they make the committment firm. (Knock wood) so far, I haven't had any drop outs. Let me know if you need any more info and I'll try to add it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
What I've seen is different. There is no in home or catalog party. The show is automatic each month from the $150 divided by the members. Each month one of the members gets the host special. The names and months have to be mixed up each year so the same person doesn't get cookware every year.

I also belong to a Stampin Up club, and we place an order each month, then get to be host one month. I'm thinking that might be a better option than having them just pay a set amount that goes toward the host - I like getting my little something each month AND getting my bigger host month. May have to try this...

ChefKelebel said:
---So, I've collected $160 from the members and the "host" gets to spend it

So, each member pays $20 (except host) but it's just a straight FEE, they don't get products with the money? I can see where that's SUPER cool for the host to get $150-160 in free stuff, and each time you host you get that too...but as a member, I'm basically paying every month for 8 months, and then get all the money I paid into it when it's my turn...I think I like some of the other ideas where you are just required a minimum purchase, cause I would want to get something for my money...

Then again you've been so successful! Best not to mess with success, haha! I would be interested in what others have done too....

What are the benefits of organizing a Host Club?

1. Discounts and free products: As a host, you can earn discounts on products and even receive free items based on the sales of your club.

2. Socializing and networking: Host clubs provide a great opportunity to socialize with friends and meet new people who share a common interest in cooking and kitchen products.

3. Learning new recipes and techniques: Each club meeting can feature a new recipe or cooking technique, allowing members to expand their culinary skills.

4. Exclusive offers and promotions: Host clubs often have access to exclusive offers and promotions that are not available to regular customers.

5. Building a collection of high-quality kitchen products: By hosting a club, you can gradually build your collection of Pampered Chef products without breaking the bank.

What are the challenges of organizing a Host Club?

1. Finding the right host: It can be a challenge to find someone willing to host a club and commit to attending each meeting.

2. Scheduling conflicts: With busy schedules, it can be difficult to find a time that works for all club members to meet.

3. Keeping members engaged: To maintain interest and attendance, it's important to keep the club meetings fun and informative.

4. Balancing sales and socializing: While the primary goal of a host club is to sell products, it's important to also focus on creating a social and enjoyable experience for members.

5. Managing orders and payments: As the organizer, you may be responsible for collecting orders and payments from club members, which can be time-consuming and challenging to keep track of.

How many members should be in a Host Club?

The ideal number of members for a host club is typically between 8-12. This allows for a good mix of socializing and sales, while still being manageable for the host.

How often should a Host Club meet?

It is recommended to meet once a month, as this gives members enough time to try out new products and recipes before the next meeting. However, the frequency can be adjusted based on the availability of members and the host.

Can anyone join a Host Club?

Yes, anyone can join a Host Club, whether they are already a Pampered Chef customer or not. It's a great way to introduce new people to the brand and products.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
AlowayFamily
  • sklay723
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Mr. Pampered Chef
  • beepampered
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies