• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are some alternatives to jicama in Australia?

In summary, jicama is a root vegetable used in Mexican cuisine, but it is not available in Australia due to import restrictions and its short shelf life. Some alternatives to jicama include water chestnuts, kohlrabi, or daikon radish. However, if you want a local Australian substitute, you can try using raw taro root. While potatoes may have a similar texture, they are not commonly used in Mexican cuisine. Jicama is commonly used in Mexican salads, but you can still replicate the dish using other vegetables such as water chestnuts or kohlrabi.
Juanny
hi everyoneI was just looking up on jicama as I have not heard of it or seen it and wanted to see what to use instead of it here in Australia. Any ideas well be great.Thanks Juanny

Depending on the recipe, I have used green apples (like Granny Smith) in place of raw jicama.I also found this on Rachael Ray:
If substituting for raw jicama, try using a crisp green apple. You can also try celery, which provides the same crunch you get from jicama, or Asian Pear, radish or seeded cucumber. If you are looking for a substitute for cooked jicama, water chestnuts are a good bet.

Welcome to CS!

I don't like jicama so the apple or celery idea sounds great to me. Good to know.

1. What is jicama and why is it not available in Australia?

Jicama is a root vegetable commonly used in Mexican cuisine. It has a crunchy texture and slightly sweet taste. Unfortunately, it is not widely available in Australia due to import restrictions and its short shelf life.

2. What can I use instead of jicama in Australian recipes?

Some alternatives to jicama include water chestnuts, kohlrabi, or daikon radish. These vegetables have a similar texture and can be used in similar ways, such as in salads or as a substitute for raw jicama in spring rolls.

3. Are there any local Australian vegetables that can substitute for jicama?

Yes, you can try using raw taro root, also known as eddo, as a substitute for jicama. It has a similar texture and can be found in Asian grocery stores or some supermarkets.

4. Can I use potatoes as a substitute for jicama?

While potatoes may have a similar texture to jicama, they have a very different taste and are not commonly used in Mexican cuisine. It is best to stick to other root vegetables like the ones mentioned earlier for a closer substitute.

5. Is there a specific dish that jicama is commonly used in that I can't replicate without it?

Jicama is commonly used in Mexican salads, such as the popular dish "ensalada de jicama y naranja" (jicama and orange salad). However, you can still make a delicious version of this salad using water chestnuts or kohlrabi instead of jicama.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChipLines
  • PamperedchefDaly
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • AxlsGrammy