• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Last Minute Baking Crisis: M&Ms Substitute for Recipe Gifts | Help & Suggestions

In summary, Lisa is a huge dorkface who procrastinated and just got 10 batter bowls in to make the batter bowl recipe gifts that people ordered. The issue is she has to take 6 of them tomorrow with her to Happy Valley for a friend who ordered them filled with the Brownie & Celebration Cookie recipes. She has a dilemma because she doesn't have the mini baking chips that are called for in the brownie recipe. She is considering buying the small tubes of the mini baking chips, but is worried about how the baking chips will turn out. She also told her customers that she would put holiday fabric over the lid and tie with ribbon, but the new lids are "pos's" and the l
Melissa78
Gold Member
Ok I'm a huge dorkface. :eek: I procrastinated (shocking!) and just got 10 batter bowls in to make the batter bowl recipe gifts that people ordered. The issue is I have to take 6 of them tomorrow with me to Happy Valley (GO PENN STATE) for a friend who ordered them filled with the Brownie & Celebration Cookie recipes.

My dilemma that's causing chest pains... *deep breath*

I did not realize that Mars North America stopped selling M&Ms mini baking chips which is what the brownie recipe calls for (1 cup worth!) I searched every store I could find only to come home tonite to Google it to find they no longer sell them. EEEK! During my cardiac arrest at the last grocery store (of too many to list) I bought the mini Hershey Kisses.

Any ideas if these will work? They won't give any color but I don'tknow what else to do. I even asked the stores about the mini Reeses Pieces they used to sell for baking and they said they were clearanced out.

Please give any and all suggestions!!!! I have the Celebration Cookie ones done but NOOOOOOO clue what to do for the brownie ones.

Sidenote: I told all my customers that I would put holiday fabric over the lid and tie with ribbon...little did I realize that the new lids are POS's (IMO) compared to the old ones (like I had used as a demo) and the lids don't stay on the darn bowls. The old ones you couldn't get off without a pry bar...now you could flick these off with a feather. Grrrr...This is the big guys punishment for me procrasting....

Can anyone bail me out before I stroke in the middle of the kitchen floor? :cry:
(Oh yes I realize it is 9pm the night before...thats why I love 24hr stores) LOL

I think you should go to the store and buy the tubes of the little M&M's. My kids get these all the time and I think they would work. Hopefully, you can find them at any store or convience store. Good luck!

Think they will bake well and not melt? I assumed that the choc was diff so that the candy coating didn't melt all over and dissolve.

That's strange...there was a whole display of M&M baking chips with the other baking chips in the grocery store today. Weird.

Melissa78 said:
Think they will bake well and not melt? I assumed that the choc was diff so that the candy coating didn't melt all over and dissolve.

Before there were the baking chips - people made M&M cookies all the time, so I think they would still work.

The color may smudge a bit from the baking, but they should still hold there shape.

These are what was in the baking aisle

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029JICN2/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I'm wondering if it's the same thing, only packaged/marketed differently. Like Excedrin. They have all these "different" kinds, but when you read the active ingredients list, they are exactly the same.

Although, buying the small tubes may be a bit costly, I think that using regular m&m's would work just fine unless you are set on using the mini ones. You also might be able to find a larger bag of the mini ones to cut down on the price. Hope this helps!

Just use regular M&M's. I use them all the time in my chocolate chip cookies.

Go PSU!!! I'm 10 miles from the main campus.

Lisa

ChefBeckyD said:
That's strange...there was a whole display of M&M baking chips with the other baking chips in the grocery store today. Weird.

HUH!?!??!?! Then the web is wrong. My local grocery stores all had them and now none and when I looked them up, I thought it was odd that Amazon didn't have them and then I found that M&M Mars North America stopped them. :I

Thanks for letting me know though! I'll keep looking for them for future use but for now, I'm SOL on them. hehe

Melissa78 said:
HUH!?!??!?! Then the web is wrong. My local grocery stores all had them and now none and when I looked them up, I thought it was odd that Amazon didn't have them and then I found that M&M Mars North America stopped them. :I

Thanks for letting me know though! I'll keep looking for them for future use but for now, I'm SOL on them. hehe

See my post #7. :)

Becky - Sorry in all my panic I didn't read well enough. Yes I saw your post from Amazon, those are the mini regulars, not baking. But as you said, may be the same thing and just not marketed as for baking. I'm going to hold off on making the last 3 and I'll do it tomorrow or Saturday at her house so I can pick up some M&Ms. Also I can ask her how she wants to decorate/wrap them since my fabric idea isn't working with the new lids.

Lisa - I'm about 2.5hrs from State College, a die hard fan who used to go to every game with season tickets but even my PC commission can't keep up with the cost increases on their tickets. Now I go when friends don't use theirs. :) My best friend from college lives in Port Matildaand that's where I'm heading tomorrow.

When I made the recipe, I used the toll house recipe they have online. It was the chewy brownie one.

Thanks Amy!!!

I used regular M&M's they worked fine, just a little more colourful.

Thanks Sarah. I'm going to use M&Ms too.

I didn't realize that Mars stopped selling the baking pieces, especially since I just (as in Friday) printed a receipe of their website that calls for them!!

What are some possible substitutes for M&Ms in recipes?

Some possible substitutes for M&Ms in recipes include chocolate chips, chopped chocolate bars, raisins, dried cranberries, or chopped nuts.

Can I use a different type of candy coated chocolate in place of M&Ms?

Yes, you can use a different type of candy coated chocolate, such as Reese's Pieces or Skittles, in place of M&Ms. Keep in mind that the flavor and texture may be slightly different.

Are there any options for a healthier substitute for M&Ms?

Yes, you can use dark chocolate or carob chips as a healthier substitute for M&Ms. You can also try using dried fruit, such as dried cherries or blueberries, for a naturally sweet option.

Can I use a different size of M&Ms in a recipe?

Yes, you can use a different size of M&Ms in a recipe. However, keep in mind that the texture and appearance of the final dish may be slightly different.

Do I need to make any adjustments to the recipe if I use a substitute for M&Ms?

In most cases, you do not need to make any adjustments to the recipe if you use a substitute for M&Ms. However, you may need to adjust the amount used if the substitute is a different size or texture. It is always best to use your own judgement and taste as you go.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• akaskydebil
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Tropicalburstqt2
  • Pamperedhrcant