1. Want to buy your holiday gifts AND support Chef Success seamlessly in the process? If you click a merchant link like amazon or ebay on Chef Success, Chef Success in turn receives 7% of that purchase. Click here for the merchant list. It's easy!

Hawaiian recipes? Luau?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by BlueMoon, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,
    I'm transplanted many years ago to the mainland, missing my island flavors. (Fried rice with spam only goes so far.)

Do any of you cheffers in Hawaii have any PC versions of local food? Maybe kalua pig in the DCB? or some kind of mango or guava thing? or?

much aloha, and mahalo in advance

Marghi

2. gailz2

gailz2 Gold Member

The Tres Leche Trifle has coconut milk in it--will that help??

3. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Gold Member

A couple season's ago the SBRB had some tropical recipes.

4. I'm new to Hawaii, and I haven't done any local favorites for shows just yet. (At least none like you've mentioned.)

However, my host director and the majority of her cluster are Hawaiian. I'll see what I can dig up for ya. :)

5. Thanks for the ideas, everyone, and Angie I am really looking forward to what you find.

There are transplanted islanders all over the country, and some from other island nations have similar dishes. I think if we can come up with a few Pacific Islands recipes we'll have a cool tool, not just for my tummy but for customers, too!

Angie, try everything they offer you, unless you have allergies, but remember some things are an acquired taste.

Welcome to Hawaii- make sure you get out of Honolulu (where I grew up) and see some other parts, too!

Marghi

6. Thanks so much, Marghi!

We are loving it here so far. We just spent 3.5 years in Okinawa (3.5 years in England before that), and I'm used to the acquired taste bit. :) BTW, my dad's wife is Filipino, and I know she makes some of her dishes. I'm doing a show in Kentucky for her this summer, and I was planning on making pancit and lumpia. It'll be fun, fun!!

I do remember my host director here telling me she sells a lot of cookware by showing how little oil you need, how to eat healthier, etc. She is a wonderful lady, and a wealth of information!! I just sent her an email, and I'll let ya know what she says.

BTW, I'm doing bazaars at Aiea Elementary and Aliiolani Elementary this fall. Any of those ring a bell?? :)

7. Aiea and Aiolani? Oh yes!

We moved a lot, but mainly on the Windward side, so I went to Castle High, but Waiane Intermediate, and as a little kid we lived in Honolulu. I went to Royal and Maemae Elementary, and started off at Koko Head for kindergarten. Of course, all that was long long long ago.

In a flash of "brilliant" decision making (brilliant like most teenage decisions, lol) I moved to the mainland for college, and then its hard to come back, once you put down adult roots.

Sill miss it, even though Ive been gone so long.

Thanks for the tips, looking forward to whatever else you find.

Marghi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.