• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Explore Hawaii: Favorite Tips & Ideas!

In summary, my friends recommend renting a car so that you can explore more than just the areas near the hotel. They also recommend exploring the town of Lahaina and the Whalers Village. They also recommend eating at Bubba Gump's and watching whales from the hotel.
gaddischef
Gold Member
For those going to Hawaii, or been to Hawaii, I want to know the places we really need to go, the things we really need to do, and the food we really need to eat! Let us know your favorite tips and ideas! :)

One from two of my friends who have lived in Maui...buy your souvenirs here and have them shipped to your home, instead of buying and hauling them everywhere! http://www.abcstores.com/index.htm

Couple of others: Put a pre-stamped priority mail box in your suitcase flat so you can mail stuff home that you picked up instead of hauling it home in your suitcase. I plan on checking one bag, in that bag will go my pineapple wedger and mango wedger, wine opener...We are going five days early so I can be there on Mother's Day. We are renting a condo for $100 a night 50 yard from the beach. We plan on eating, grilling, local stuff on our own and then relax at Hyatt when it's time. I will get a list from them.We are renting a car and plan on stopping at Costco (near airport) You can get a lot of your boxed chocolate macadamia nuts there. Also they sell snorkeling sets. Some folks say this is way cheaper than renting and they are new so you do not have to worry whose snozzes they have been on!We will be filling up on fresh fruit, bottled waters, etc at Costco to minimize all those hefty fees of buying one when you feel like it attack. As I learn from them...I will share more.

go to your local bookstore and buy the blue book travel guide i think it is simply called blue book for Maui
we had one for each island they are great sources
We also bought our snorkel gear,
In Maui our kids took surfing lessons from some guy who has taught famous actors all 3 kids were surfing within 30 minutes
Favorite place to shop for souvenirs was Hilo Hattie, skip the Kobe steaks it was nasty and unclean

ChefCK, can I ask where your condo is and how you booked it. We will be going to Maui next year with Pampered Chef Canada and would love to go early and stay somewhere other than a hotel. I just have no idea where to start looking
Thanks

lovenpc said:
ChefCK, can I ask where your condo is and how you booked it. We will be going to Maui next year with Pampered Chef Canada and would love to go early and stay somewhere other than a hotel. I just have no idea where to start looking
Thanks
Sure! Love these people! Napili Village | Napili Vacation Rentals | Bay Hotels*| Lahaina Resort | Napili HotelLoved reading their site and talked to Allisa, the wife. We got our room for 108 a night. You can get it for less if you rent a car thru them too but we got a free rentacar from our inlaws.

All great tips -- I'll be buying some souvenirs soon! I love the flat rate box idea -- used this when we went to Florida and I did a show for my BIL!

Thanks --

I wish that I had splurged a bit and rented a convertible or jeep instead of the economy car.

Ask the locals where the best seafood places are...not the desk.

Find out if they charge for refills on sodas. Our normally $40 bill was over $70.

See the volcano or lava tubes(if you can).

If you have the time then go to Waikiki and check out Pearl Harbor and Diamond head.

Chefgirl2 said:
I wish that I had splurged a bit and rented a convertible or jeep instead of the economy car.

Find out if they charge for refills on sodas. Our normally $40 bill was over $70.

If you have the time then go to Waikiki and check out Pearl Harbor and Diamond head

Great suggestions- but those are not on Maui, which is where the Trip-earners are headed...UNLESS you are staying longer and doing some island hopping.

In Maui:
We visited alot of different places in 2008. There is "Whalers Village", that you can WALK to from the hotel. It's a very pretty walk along the beach and hotel fronts. It has lots of shops and a couple of restaurants.
The town of Lahaina has a nice "quaint" old downtown area for shopping/eating. It is along the waterfront also. We ate at Bubba Gump shrimps overlooking the water and watched whales play along the coast.

We also visited Maui Tropical Plantation. There is also Kula Botanical Gardens, but we didn't make it to that one.

Check out this website: http://www.gohawaii.com/maui

I noticed a Maui Golden Pineapple Tour. I loved visiting the gardens.
We also went to the Maui Ocean Center (aquarium). Whale watching tours are fun- but check for the season to see if it's the right time of year. I think it's near the end of the whale season. But maybe a dolphin tour. Getting out on the water is fun.

Do NOT waste your money though on the "Sugar Cane Train". You'll see parts of the island that are really quite sad. (run down, poor, etc). It's not a pretty ride for much of it...and not cheap.

I believe there is a Hilo Hattie in Lahaina. Very nice store.
My kids bought me a real pearl picked from an oyster right there in front of us. They loved it. We got it at a kiosk in Whalers Village. We bought the setting for it there, and then a chain when we got home.

Ahhhh...I wish I was going. :) ENJOY!!

New tip from Maui native! Buy two of the insulated totes (like the kind you would find at trader joes etc)...wrap your dark rum in one, bottle of wine in the other...check that bag with those in it (can use bubble wrap to be extra safe). Then you can make your own mai tais with guava and passionfruit juice......Also, you will want a tote to have ice in for water and a separate tote to have your sandwiches and fruit...what not in... when you are exploring around. Either pack the totes flat in your luggage, or use them to wrap a breakable, like the rum or whatever you are taking...if you are taking it......

Originally Posted by Chefgirl2

If you have the time then go to Waikiki and check out Pearl Harbor and Diamond head.

Great suggestions- but those are not on Maui, which is where the Trip-earners are headed...UNLESS you are staying longer and doing some island hopping.

We've been to Hawaii twice. When I said if you have the time it was meant...if you have the time to island hop. I've been to Oahu, Maui and the "Big Island". For us, it is a long flight so we always try to go for 10- 14 days and visiting at least 2 islands each time. My parents took us about 12 years ago and they went about 16 times. They always say anything under 10 days was too short:) They obviously were in love with Hawaii!

I suggested those places because you are so close and just a short hop away. A day trip works if extending your trip doesn't. PC will fly you home. You just have to pay the hopping fee

I would love to stay longer and do all the things I would really want to -- but due to work schedules we have to get back....boo....
I really hope to get back some day to do all the other things we'll be missing!

Chefgirl2 said:
Originally Posted by Chefgirl2

We've been to Hawaii twice. When I said if you have the time it was meant...if you have the time to island hop. I've been to Oahu, Maui and the "Big Island". For us, it is a long flight so we always try to go for 10- 14 days and visiting at least 2 islands each time. My parents took us about 12 years ago and they went about 16 times. They always say anything under 10 days was too short:) They obviously were in love with Hawaii!

I suggested those places because you are so close and just a short hop away. A day trip works if extending your trip doesn't. PC will fly you home. You just have to pay the hopping fee

I figured that's what you meant. I just pointed it out in case someone else didn't realize that Maui wouldn't have those. ;)

Received our packet of goodies in the mail!! YAY!! :)

ChefCKHall said:
New tip from Maui native! Buy two of the insulated totes (like the kind you would find at trader joes etc)...wrap your dark rum in one, bottle of wine in the other...check that bag with those in it (can use bubble wrap to be extra safe). Then you can make your own mai tais with guava and passionfruit juice......

Can I like this? Everything is super expensive in HI. I am planning to hit the liquor store here and pack it.

Michelle,
I am jealous - I hope that I receive mine today too... Is there anything fun in the packet like the "Little Black Book for Disney" that they gave us last year?
~Kimberlee

Not really -- I like the luggage tags....we have some pineapple shaped cards, coasters, and just the schedule of events, etc.
I'm starting to plan alittle -- I like to have a basic plan to follow then add in things to do and of course, leave time for just lounging on the beach!! :)

Hmmm... Are they pineapple shaped playing cards? What night is the luau? I am getting super excited...

Yes, pineapple shaped playing cards --
The Luau is is Saturday May 14 at 7:00pm! :) FUN!!
We are coming in on the 11th and leaving the 18th -- We signed up for a snorkeling tour and zipline tour, then may also drive the Road to Hana - at least alittle ways of it.
I really want to find time just to relax and eat some really good food.
I Love fresh pineapple and cannot wait to gorge myself on it!! :)

Jealous! I have not received my packet yet...want it want it want it !!!!!

Michelle,
Did the package come FedEx or regular mail?
~Kimberlee

Fed Ex --
Only 2 1/2 more weeks!! :) Yay!!

Got mine! We leave in 11 days so I can BE THERE on Mother's Day!!

Got mine today too! Bright Blue package sister packaging to what bright Red Director's January Materials. Makes it even more exciting to open.
I just slipped everything into sheet protectors - the magnetic itineraries that turn into picture frames are great -- as are the luggage tags. I'm impressed.

nancycookspc said:
mine is stuck in Iowa!
:(

ITA group is just down the road from me...I'd offer to 'rescue' your packet, but mine took 4 days to arrive from the day they sent it. I live less than 15 miles from the facility.

Mine is STILL stuck In Iowa!I am NOT liking the travel company VERY unprofessional. I called 4/26 asking for the tracking- they guys says there is bad weather in Memphis- hence the reason for the delay..(they were mailed 4/21) NOT!
I call again this AM- Spoke to cust service and the gal says there is nothing she can do Its Fed Ex's problem. WHAT????? I freak out on her- I used to be in travel industry IT IS YOUR PROBLEM SWEETIE!
Finally get a supervisor on the phone- she was nice promised to resend a new pack TODAY for Next day delivery AND contact me with the tracking number. Well I just called back she is gone- there are no new tracking info in the computer and I need to wait til tomorrow.! NOT HAPPY

TWO WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes! I did order some souvenirs already, now to go shopping for a few new items!
So excited - I never dreamed I would be getting to go to Hawaii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NINE days for me! A week from Saturday!! Got some tanning milk so no one can shout BELUGA!

I have NOT received my packet. I had just gone online and it stated about 2 weeks. Well, now it is less than 2 weeks! I guess a call goes to them when they open! Anyone in Texas (Kimberlee Powell?) not received their's either?

Same here!

call them- if you get people who are uncooperative ask for the supervisor.
They insisted they were held up in memphis storms- BS.
then they told me that it was MY problem with fed ex NOT triers ...HELLO???
was not till I spoke to the supervisor did I get real answers and help.
They were to send out a new pack to me that was suppose to be NEXT day - well low and behold it went out 2 day- but the good news is I should get it today.

Geee...does EVERYTHING go through Memphis?? Do they think you don't own a map?

Any "have to" places to eat or foods to try while in Maui? (I'm all about food!! LOL)

ONE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those going earlier, safe travels!! See you all in Maui!

I used the wonderful Hawaii playing cards for the "Stealing Hearts" game last night. Got two recruit leads! (Love the cards -- love the game!) See you next week in Hawaii....

ChefCKHall said:
NINE days for me! A week from Saturday!! Got some tanning milk so no one can shout BELUGA!

What is tanning milk?

BethCooks4U said:
What is tanning milk?

My husband is the first in New Mexico for a company called H2O at Home - All organic cleaning products that are food safe, made in France. AWESOME stuff! If I was not doing PC, I would be all over this. Anyway, they have the only all organic self-tanning lotion. Been using it for 4 days and have a nice glow! No Whale sighting when I walk by!!

ChefCKHall said:
My husband is the first in New Mexico for a company called H2O at Home - All organic cleaning products that are food safe, made in France. AWESOME stuff! If I was not doing PC, I would be all over this. Anyway, they have the only all organic self-tanning lotion. Been using it for 4 days and have a nice glow! No Whale sighting when I walk by!!

I know nothing about tanning products. Do you wear them in the sun or are they put on in the house to get color before you go out? After you use them do you then put sunscreen on when outside and gradually get a real tan? My history is that I don't go sun much and when I do I burn, then fade to white. I need color before I spend time in that part of the world but I want to know how to protect my skin...

BethCooks4U said:
I know nothing about tanning products. Do you wear them in the sun or are they put on in the house to get color before you go out? After you use them do you then put sunscreen on when outside and gradually get a real tan? My history is that I don't go sun much and when I do I burn, then fade to white. I need color before I spend time in that part of the world but I want to know how to protect my skin...

Hey Beth! I put it on every day after I shower, like lotion. Yes, you wear sunscreen outside and eventually develop your own tan so you will need to protect your skin! What is nice is that I am not lily white now! My husband is...haha...he sells it but wont use it on himself...men....vain!

The Road to Hana is amazing. My husband and I went to Maui for our honeymoon 15 years ago (ACK!) and that was one of the highlights. We had a great time touring it on our own, but in hindsight, I would have either bought one of the tour tapes for the rental car, or participated in a tour, so I could have learned a little more about what we were seeing.

We also went to the top of Haleakala crater and that was an amazing experience, as well. If you can, go in the early morning before the clouds roll in in the afternoon. You'll be able to see the entire crater and almost the entire island!

We never got to do this, but my parents did and said it was incredible - take a Helicopter tour of the island. I'm sure it's worth every penny, but my $ conscious hubby was not convinced that it was a good investment at the time. Looking back, he wishes we had done it.

Snorkeling off of Molokini is unbelievable - we swam with giant tortoises and saw all kinds of marine life that I've never even imagined. It was fantastic.

Be careful when swimming in the ocean - rip currents are very common throughout the Hawaiian islands and can pull you out in a heartbeat. I almost lost my brand new husband on our honeymoon, until he finally swam sideways to a cliff and was able to get to the shore!!

The town of Lahaina is adorable - LOVED shopping and walking around downtown. Definitely ask locals where to dine - avoid the "chains" - why eat at a restaurant you can go to at home when you're in Hawaii??!

Have a great time and share lots of pictures when you return so I can live vicariously through all of you! Congrats!

Gonna be posting daily on Facebook my experiences so watch for the photos...movie to be released in the fall....LOL

We'll be looking forward to the Oscar-winning role!! LOL ...Have fun and safe travels -- see you all soon! :)

Two more days!!! :)

1. What are the must-see places in Hawaii?

Some of the top places to visit in Hawaii include Waikiki Beach, Pearl Harbor, Haleakala National Park, and the Na Pali Coast. Each of these locations offers a unique experience and showcases the beauty of the islands.

2. What activities should I do in Hawaii?

Hawaii is known for its outdoor activities, so be sure to try snorkeling, hiking, surfing, and whale watching. You can also attend a traditional luau or take a helicopter tour to get a bird's eye view of the islands.

3. What food should I try in Hawaii?

Some must-try foods in Hawaii include poke, ahi tuna, loco moco, and shave ice. These dishes are all staples of Hawaiian cuisine and can be found at local restaurants and food trucks.

4. When is the best time to visit Hawaii?

The best time to visit Hawaii is typically from April to September, as the weather is warm and there is less chance of rain. However, if you're looking to avoid crowds and save money, consider visiting during the off-season from October to March.

5. What are some insider tips for a trip to Hawaii?

One insider tip is to rent a car and explore the islands on your own. This allows you to visit lesser-known spots and have more flexibility in your itinerary. Also, be sure to pack sunscreen, insect repellent, and comfortable shoes for your outdoor adventures.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • thecougchef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies