Good recipe for Steak DeBurgo?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by Ashley8634, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all.....I am looking for a good recipe for steak deburgo. Any good ones out there?

2. crystalscookingnow

crystalscookingnow Gold Member

What's that? :)

3. I was thinking the same thing.

4. Ohh..it's so good. Its steak with a garlicy cream sauce over the top and mushrooms. Yum Yum!!

5. Kitchen Diva

Kitchen Diva Gold Member

Try Allrecipes.com or foodnetwork.com

best of luck!

6. dianevill

dianevill Gold Member

Where's Chef Stephanie? She's our resident Professional Chef. She'll know. Stephanie, come out, come out wherever you are!

7. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Gold Member

Steak deburgo is a tenderloin steak topped with butter and Italian seasonings - if you google it, you'll find all kinds of recipes.

8. I guess it's more of a Midwest thing...sorry I didn't realize that!

9. Sounds great to me but my husband would KILL :eek: me if I did that to his steak, haha!!!

10. crystalscookingnow

Hmmm, not so sure about that. I'm in Illinois & my husband is a cattle farmer. :D ;)

11. Have you had it then or not? It's delish!

12. crystalscookingnow

Nope, I was the first to ask what it was. ;) I don't eat steak, so I couldn't tell you. Hubby would love it though.

13. Oops! :rolleyes: Duh on my part....I didn't realize you were the first to reply. I bet he would love for you to make it for him!

14. JAE

JAE

I was born and raised in the midwest and never heard of it, either. My mom wasn't much of a cook and I hated steak. Still don't eat it or buy it. DH only gets steak at restaurants.

15. Kitchen Diva

Kitchen Diva Gold Member

As you wish...

Ingredients:

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 clove garlic -- minced
    1/2 teaspoon dried whole basil
    2 large fresh mushrooms -- fluted
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tenderloin steaks -- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch
    thick
    Salt
    Freshly ground pepper
    2 thick slices French bread -- toasted

Preparation:
    Saute garlic, basil, and mushrooms in butter in a large skillet until garlic is browned and mushrooms are tender; remove mushrooms, and set aside. Sprinkle both sides of steaks with salt and pepper. Add steak to skillet; cook over medium high heat 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. To serve, place steak on bread; top each serving with a mushroom. Spoon pan drippings over steaks, and serve immediately.

16. priscilla

priscilla Guest

Can't help on the recipe, but here is some history:

"Steak de Burgo

Steak de Burgo is a featured steak on many Des Moines area restaurants – a regional specialty. It’s a traditional steak dish – usually a beef tenderloin – topped with butter, Italian herbs and garlic.

History (according to W.E. Moranville, of the Datebook Diner, Des Moines Register, September 4, 1997): a 1964 Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, “Famous Food From Famous Places,” lists Steak de Burgo as a specialty of the house at Johnny and Kay’s Restaurant in Des Moines (no longer open).

Tom Campiano, son of Johnny and Kay, says his father brought the recipe up from New Orleans, where he was stationed during the war. When he opened Johnny and Kay’s in 1946, it became a popular house specialty.

Compiano adds that chefs who worked for his father would often take the recipe with them when they opened places of their own. Hence, the proliferation of Steak de Burgo in Des Moines, the theory goes.

Another famous Des Moines restaurant, Johnnie’s Vets Club had their own version of Steak de Burgo."

Robin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.