• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Makes Steak Deburgo a Des Moines Specialty?

, in summary, steak with a garlicy cream sauce and mushrooms is a classic dish from the Midwest. It is typically a beef tenderloin and is topped with butter and Italian seasonings.
Ashley8634
Hey all.....I am looking for a good recipe for steak deburgo. Any good ones out there?

crystalscookingnow said:
What's that? :)

I was thinking the same thing.

Ohh..it's so good. Its steak with a garlicy cream sauce over the top and mushrooms. Yum Yum!!

Try Allrecipes.com or foodnetwork.com

best of luck!

Where's Chef Stephanie? She's our resident Professional Chef. She'll know. Stephanie, come out, come out wherever you are!

Steak deburgo is a tenderloin steak topped with butter and Italian seasonings - if you google it, you'll find all kinds of recipes.

I guess it's more of a Midwest thing...sorry I didn't realize that!

sounds delish!

Ashley8634 said:
Ohh..it's so good. Its steak with a garlicy cream sauce over the top and mushrooms. Yum Yum!!

Sounds great to me but my husband would KILL :eek: me if I did that to his steak, haha!!!

Ashley8634 said:
I guess it's more of a Midwest thing...sorry I didn't realize that!

Hmmm, not so sure about that. I'm in Illinois & my husband is a cattle farmer. :D ;)

crystalscookingnow said:
Hmmm, not so sure about that. I'm in Illinois & my husband is a cattle farmer. :D ;)

Have you had it then or not? It's delish!

Nope, I was the first to ask what it was. ;) I don't eat steak, so I couldn't tell you. Hubby would love it though.

crystalscookingnow said:
Nope, I was the first to ask what it was. ;) I don't eat steak, so I couldn't tell you. Hubby would love it though.

Oops! :rolleyes: Duh on my part....I didn't realize you were the first to reply. I bet he would love for you to make it for him!

I was born and raised in the midwest and never heard of it, either. My mom wasn't much of a cook and I hated steak. Still don't eat it or buy it. DH only gets steak at restaurants.

As you wish...Ingredients:

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 clove garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon dried whole basil
2 large fresh mushrooms -- fluted
2 tablespoons butter
2 tenderloin steaks -- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch
thick
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 thick slices French bread -- toasted

Preparation:
Saute garlic, basil, and mushrooms in butter in a large skillet until garlic is browned and mushrooms are tender; remove mushrooms, and set aside. Sprinkle both sides of steaks with salt and pepper. Add steak to skillet; cook over medium high heat 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. To serve, place steak on bread; top each serving with a mushroom. Spoon pan drippings over steaks, and serve immediately.

Can't help on the recipe, but here is some history:"Steak de BurgoSteak de Burgo is a featured steak on many Des Moines area restaurants – a regional specialty. It’s a traditional steak dish – usually a beef tenderloin – topped with butter, Italian herbs and garlic.History (according to W.E. Moranville, of the Datebook Diner, Des Moines Register, September 4, 1997): a 1964 Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, “Famous Food From Famous Places,” lists Steak de Burgo as a specialty of the house at Johnny and Kay’s Restaurant in Des Moines (no longer open).Tom Campiano, son of Johnny and Kay, says his father brought the recipe up from New Orleans, where he was stationed during the war. When he opened Johnny and Kay’s in 1946, it became a popular house specialty.Compiano adds that chefs who worked for his father would often take the recipe with them when they opened places of their own. Hence, the proliferation of Steak de Burgo in Des Moines, the theory goes.Another famous Des Moines restaurant, Johnnie’s Vets Club had their own version of Steak de Burgo."Robin

What is the recommended cut of steak for Deburgo?

The best cut of steak for Deburgo is a thick, well-marbled steak such as ribeye or New York strip.

How should I prepare the steak for Deburgo?

For the best results, the steak should be brought to room temperature and patted dry before cooking. Season generously with salt and pepper on both sides.

What is the ideal cooking method for Deburgo?

The most popular cooking method for Deburgo is to sear the steak in a hot skillet for a few minutes on each side, then finish cooking in the oven until desired doneness is reached.

What should I serve with Steak Deburgo?

Steak Deburgo pairs well with a variety of side dishes, such as roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, or a simple green salad.

Can I use a different protein instead of steak for Deburgo?

While steak is the traditional protein for Deburgo, you can also use chicken or shrimp for a delicious variation of the dish.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Trish in Texas
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
vwpamperedchef
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • PamperedCaniac
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies