• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Gluten-Free Flour Reviews: Is it Worth the Hype?

In summary, the conversation discusses a new gluten-free flour option and its effectiveness in different types of baking. The participants also share their own homemade flour blends and discuss substitutions for those with allergies. The recommended blend includes white rice flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, and nonfat dry milk powder. The conversation also brings up the price and availability of gluten-free flours in stores.
DebPC
Staff member
For those that have used this new product- is it a great alternative to regular flour? I have 2 good friends that are gluton free- but I'm not. Also is the price comparative to others on the market???

I haven't used this for my own recipes. But I have tried the cookies & they were great! I think that most people didn't realize they were gluten-free even after eating them. I thought the cookies themselves looked really good & had a little fluff to them. Looking over the ingredients it looks like a pretty safe bet for use with cookies, bars, & the like. I'm waiting till I get my own to see about how it works for breads & cakes (that's always a really test). I have my own Gluten-Free blend that I've been using, but sometimes it's nice to just have something ready to go. Ours is a bit pricier than most you can find in the store or online (Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking flour, 44 oz/2lbs 12oz, ranges from $8.09 - over $12.00 online). And some Costco's carry Gluten-Free flours, so that would be an even bigger savings (I'm guessing). But if it's a "good tasting" flour mix, then I'd rather buy that than some of the others. Each brand has their own unique mix and it really comes down to what you prefer. Maybe there are others that have used it/tasted it more me.

Sorry to post steal - Tenille - What blend do you use, if yours is home made? We can't use the PC blend and we just lost Bob's Redmill One for One. I think we can still use the all purpose. We also just lost our egg replacement due to allergies (potato). My son has an eosinophilic disease and we are constantly losing a food. We can't do eggs, milk, wheat (including cousins like kamut, spelt, etc), peanuts, treenuts, cherries, sesame, soy, barley, rye, corn, coconut, and now potato. We have been using tapioca starch, garbanzo flour, white rice flour, tapioca flour.
Tenille V. said:
I haven't used this for my own recipes. But I have tried the cookies & they were great! I think that most people didn't realize they were gluten-free even after eating them. I thought the cookies themselves looked really good & had a little fluff to them. Looking over the ingredients it looks like a pretty safe bet for use with cookies, bars, & the like. I'm waiting till I get my own to see about how it works for breads & cakes (that's always a really test). I have my own Gluten-Free blend that I've been using, but sometimes it's nice to just have something ready to go. Ours is a bit pricier than most you can find in the store or online (Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking flour, 44 oz/2lbs 12oz, ranges from $8.09 - over $12.00 online). And some Costco's carry Gluten-Free flours, so that would be an even bigger savings (I'm guessing). But if it's a "good tasting" flour mix, then I'd rather buy that than some of the others. Each brand has their own unique mix and it really comes down to what you prefer. Maybe there are others that have used it/tasted it more me.

SherryLynn said:
Sorry to post steal -Tenille -What blend do you use, if yours is home made? We can't use the PC blend and we just lost Bob's Redmill One for One. I think we can still use the all purpose. We also just lost our egg replacement due to allergies (potato). My son has an eosinophilic disease and we are constantly losing a food. We can't do eggs, milk, wheat (including cousins like kamut, spelt, etc), peanuts, treenuts, cherries, sesame, soy, barley, rye, corn, coconut, and now potato. We have been using tapioca starch, garbanzo flour, white rice flour, tapioca flour.
Hi SherryLynn,
Well, that is a long list of allergies! I used this blend, but it's got potato starch (Sorry). Might be able to substitute out with arrowroot starch instead or you might add additional tapioca starch (but it might be a bit "sweeter"). And you might try rice milk powder instead of dry milk powder.INGREDIENTS
24 ounces (4 1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup) white rice flour
7 1/2 ounces (1 2/3 cups) brown rice flour
7 ounces (1 1/3 cups) potato starch
3 ounces (3/4 cup) tapioca starch
3/4 ounce (1/4 cup) nonfat dry milk powderINSTRUCTIONS
Whisk all ingredients in large bowl until well combined. Transfer to airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 months.I typically use Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free products for most of this. It's a fairly fine flour, so works well for baked goods! i'm not particularly fond of garbanzo or other bean flours because I think they leave a "beany" flavor profile to whatever you make. I like more neutral flavors. But if it helps with density for something like a bread or biscuit, I try to use the least amount possible.Hope this was helpful! Sorry, it's always just trial & error. I hope you find something that works!

Thanks. I appreciate it! We have used Bob's Red Mill for years but now we may not be able to ... Thank you again.

All the best! I'd love to hear what you end up doing!

1. What is gluton-free flour?

Gluton-free flour is a type of flour that does not contain any gluton protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. It is commonly used as a substitute for regular flour in gluten-free diets.

2. Is gluton-free flour healthier than regular flour?

Gluton-free flour is not necessarily healthier than regular flour. It is just a suitable alternative for those who have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. However, it may lack certain nutrients found in regular flour, so it is important to have a well-balanced diet.

3. Can I use gluton-free flour in any recipe?

Yes, you can use gluton-free flour in most recipes that call for regular flour. However, it may require some adjustments in measurements and additional ingredients to achieve the same texture and consistency.

4. What are some good brands of gluton-free flour?

Some popular brands of gluton-free flour include Bob's Red Mill, King Arthur Flour, Cup4Cup, and Pamela's Products. However, it is always recommended to try different brands and find the one that works best for you.

5. Can I make my own gluton-free flour at home?

Yes, you can make your own gluton-free flour at home by blending different gluten-free grains such as rice, corn, and quinoa. However, it may not have the same consistency and texture as store-bought gluton-free flour.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• maddy123
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Lindsay
  • ChefChris
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • Jill092375