• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Glazed or Unglazed Stoneware: What's the Difference in Cooking Performance?

In summary, the customer works with pottery and ceramics and she is convinced that the glazed stoneware does not cook as well as the unglazed. I told her that I was unaware of any difference, but I would check on it. Does anyone have any information?
WendyLou
I have a customer who works with pottery and ceramics and she asked if the glazed stoneware cooks as well as the unglazed. She seems convinced that it doesn't. She loves our stoneware and is upset that there is only one unglazed baker (rectangle baker) left. I told her that I was unaware of any difference but I would check on it. Does anyone have any info?

I don't notice any difference, but I can't prove it.

Makes no difference.

The way I explain it is this. Our bakers are the pieces that are more likely to end up on your dinner table. And we all know what stoneware looks like as it becomes seasoned. Who wants that dark dirty looking stone on your table? We want your table to look pretty, so we just put glaze around the outside of the bakers so it looks nice. That's all. Still cooks the same.

The glazing is only on the outside...just for appearance sake. I have owned the non-glazed rect. baker and I have the glazed one...I have never noticed a difference in the way they bake!

Now, if the glazing was INSIDE, then yes- that would affect it.

Honestly, I wish they would do away with the other rectangle baker. Anytime someone tries to order it, I get them to change to the glazed one...serving out of the other unglazed one looks yucky! :yuck:

Thanks, ladies. That's what I told her, but she's a purist!! She'll come around. She says the glazed is still better than any other brands.

The glazed actually works better because of the scalloped edges. There is more surface area so it heats up faster.

Debbie had it right on. The glaze is for appearance. There is no difference in cooking quality. I use all pieces and I have never noticed any differences. Just looks a lot prettier to take somewhere.

Get an answer from the test kitchens... that should satisfy her.

I was very concerned about this when PC first introduces the glazed pieces till I realized they are only glazed arround the outer sides. Not inside or on the bottom. This would really change the performance! I have never noticed a difference.

that being said I have a crockpot with a removeable glazed stoneware insert (NOT PC obviously) but I HATE cleaning it! It cooks like a dream but everything sticks! I have to soak and scrub.... repeat!

I 2nd the test kitchen's response...they use stones in every way possible and every day. They are also chefs so obviously are able to speak with much food expertise.

I agree- the key is that the bottom in unglazed on either inside or outside!

I had someone at a show want to order a pre-seasoned stone... ok... yuck!! How would she know what it was seasoned with???? She wanted to buy my used pieces after I told her that she would need to season her own when she purchased them.

That's just weird, especially because the warranty wouldn't transfer.

PCJenni said:
I had someone at a show want to order a pre-seasoned stone... ok... yuck!! How would she know what it was seasoned with???? She wanted to buy my used pieces after I told her that she would need to season her own when she purchased them.

Too funny. I guess you could offer to season her stones for her with Scotts crisco/salt recipe for an additional fee. :p

Wants to buy a "seasoned" stone? I would hope that I could not laugh at that request.

tlennhoff said:
Too funny. I guess you could offer to season her stones for her with Scotts crisco/salt recipe for an additional fee. :p
That's a good idea. :) You could fit several in the oven at one time.

That's funny because my mom just bought a used PC loaf pan from a yard sale for like $2 or something!!! She knows that if it breaks, that's it. She said for $2 she didn't care. I told her she should put a baking soda paste on it for a LONG while and scrub the heck out of it with HOT HOT HOT water. You never know what other people did to it before you buy it!

The thing is, I would've bought her a loaf pan!

What is the difference between glazed and unglazed stoneware?

Glazed stoneware has a smooth, non-porous surface that has been coated with a layer of glass or ceramic. This makes it easier to clean and more resistant to staining. Unglazed stoneware, on the other hand, has a porous surface that allows for more absorption of flavors and oils, resulting in a more seasoned and flavorful cooking surface.

Can I use both glazed and unglazed stoneware in the oven?

Yes, both glazed and unglazed stoneware can be used in the oven. However, be sure to check the manufacturer's instructions for any temperature limitations or precautions.

Do I need to season my unglazed stoneware before using it?

Yes, it is recommended to season your unglazed stoneware before using it for the first time. This helps to create a non-stick surface and improve its durability. Follow the seasoning instructions provided by the manufacturer.

How do I clean glazed and unglazed stoneware?

Glazed stoneware can be cleaned with hot soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge or cloth. Avoid using metal utensils or harsh cleaning agents. Unglazed stoneware should be cleaned with hot water and a stiff brush. Do not use soap as it can soak into the porous surface.

Can I use unglazed stoneware on the stovetop?

No, unglazed stoneware is not recommended for use on the stovetop. It is designed for use in the oven only. Using it on the stovetop can cause it to crack or break.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jennie4PC
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • cheflorraine
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • wadesgirl