• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Storing Curly & Flat Herbs: Tips from John Watschke

In summary, fresh curly and flat herbs should be stored in the refrigerator, unwashed and wrapped in a damp paper towel or in a plastic bag with holes for air circulation. They can last up to 2 weeks if stored correctly. You can freeze fresh herbs by chopping them up and placing them in an ice cube tray with water or oil. Dried herbs should be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place and used within 6 months for best flavor. You can also grow your own herbs at home in a sunny windowsill or outdoor garden, making sure to research the specific needs of each herb for proper growth and harvesting as needed for fresh flavor in dishes.
DebPC
Staff member
Storage of curly leaved herbs like rosemary, thyme, and curly parsley will keep up to 1 -1 1/2 weeks with stems sitting in a glass of water in your refridgerator or on your counter. Just change the water periodically.
However for flat leaved herbs, like parsley, basil and cilantro, this won't work. These have a very short shelf life, which can only be extended by snipping them and freezing them. You will lose a little of the flavor, but not much.
Thanks to John Watschke

Thanks for the tip, John! I always struggle with keeping my herbs fresh for more than a few days. I'll have to try the water method for my curly leaved herbs. Do you have any specific tips for freezing flat leaved herbs? I've tried it before but they always seem to lose their flavor completely.

for these helpful tips!Dear John, Thank you for sharing your tips on storing curly and flat herbs. As a Pampered Chef consultant, I often get asked about the best way to store herbs and your suggestions are very helpful. I agree that keeping curly herbs in a glass of water in the fridge or on the counter is a great way to prolong their freshness. I also appreciate your advice on changing the water periodically to ensure the herbs stay fresh.I have found that freezing flat herbs is a great way to extend their shelf life. While it may slightly affect the flavor, it's definitely worth it to be able to use the herbs for a longer period of time. Your tips will definitely come in handy for my customers who are looking to store their herbs properly.Thank you again for sharing your knowledge on this topic. Your expertise is greatly appreciated.Best regards,

1. How should I store fresh curly and flat herbs?

Fresh curly and flat herbs should be stored in the refrigerator, unwashed and wrapped in a damp paper towel. They can also be stored in a plastic bag with small holes punched in it to allow for air circulation.

2. How long will fresh herbs last in the refrigerator?

Fresh herbs can last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator if stored properly. Be sure to check for any signs of wilting or discoloration before using.

3. Can I freeze fresh herbs for later use?

Yes, you can freeze fresh herbs to use later. Simply chop them up and place them in an ice cube tray with a little bit of water or olive oil. Once frozen, transfer the cubes to a freezer-safe bag or container for easy use in dishes.

4. How should I store dried herbs?

Dried herbs should be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Keep them away from direct sunlight and make sure to use them within 6 months for maximum flavor.

5. Can I grow my own herbs at home?

Yes, you can easily grow your own herbs at home in a sunny windowsill or outdoor garden. Be sure to research the specific needs of each herb to ensure proper growth and harvest them as needed for fresh flavor in your dishes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
TheNewMrsRue
Replies
Views
wadesgirl