• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can You Freeze Milk? Tips & Advice from Experienced Parents

In summary, Ann is suggesting that milk can be frozen and it will be okay to drink after thawing. She also suggests making ice cream and freezing it.
chefann
Gold Member
I know I can probably look this up on the internet, but I trust you folks more than some faceless site. :)

I've got almost 1/2 gallon of milk at home, and DH and I will be unable to consume it before it expires (because of Leadership and DH's commitments). He suggested that I freeze it. Will it be OK to use after thawing if I do that? My thought was that it would be ok for IN things, but maybe not to drink straight.

Anyone here freeze milk? (regular cow's milk, not breast milk for a milk bank, LOL) I think it's 2%, if that makes a difference.

I think it's okay. Give it a try, you can always throw it out later.

Yes Ann you can freeze milk. I have before and it was fine to drink, didn't change the taste at all. I didn't have mine frozen for a long time, maybe a month at the most. HTH

That was my thought, as well. If it's going to go bad on Saturday anyway, it doesn't hurt to try.

rennea said:
Yes Ann you can freeze milk. I have before and it was fine to drink, didn't change the taste at all. I didn't have mine frozen for a long time, maybe a month at the most. HTH
OK- cool! (HA! I crack myself up.) It'll only be frozen for a couple of days. Basically while I'm gone at Leadership.

Thanks!!

Make ice cream and freeze it!! HA!

If it were cream, that's what I'd do! But it's 2%. Not heavy enough for ice cream, but thicker than I like to drink (DH did the shopping :rolleyes:).

Here in the great white north were temps. are below freezing for weeks on end you discover lots of things that can be froozen.

Red Neck Fridge= why your front porch of course:eek:

When I was in high school, the milk we got at lunch was frozen half the time so I'd say it's ok!

rennea said:
Here in the great white north were temps. are below freezing for weeks on end you discover lots of things that can be froozen.

We do that in New England too ;)

rennea said:

I made the oreo truffles only to realize I didn't have any room in my freezer, they went right out on the porch in the snow drift (in closed tupperware containers). We also put pop out there if we don't want to take the time to cool it in the fridge. I knew a kid in HS who would put some on the roof outside of his bedroom window so his parents didn't know he was drinking :eek:

Actually, I've done that, too (the cheap fridge/freezer known as Nature). I once bought a giant box of frozen Otis Spunkmeyer cookie dough - before I owned a separate freezer. Luckily, it was winter, so I just kept it in the trunk of my car. :)

One thing that doesn't freeze very well is beer.We put some long necks in the freezer once to try and cool them quickly, and promptly forgot they were in there. By morning, the bottles had perfectly formed, conical, amber stalagmites with the bottle cap hanging on the top of the amber cone.We called them Pabstcycles.

It's really good around the holidays when you need some place to put the food platters for a short while. Or to store the vodka;) :D

mmm... beersicles... pointy...

That sounds like something college students would do. It's also alcohol abuse, by the way.

cookie dough in the trunk....

I've heard of closet eaters before but never trunk eaters. LMAO

And eating too many "trunk cookies" will add to the "junk in your trunk", if you know what I mean. :D

Really nobody sees a difference when milk has been frozen?the fridge we used to have in the basement (which has been replaced!) if anything got pushed too far back it froze and the milk would seperate and taste kind of watery (2%).

chefann said:
mmm... beersicles... pointy...

That sounds like something college students would do. It's also alcohol abuse, by the way.
College kids?

Um...

Okay, it was when I was in college.

Growing up in a large family whose dad only got paid once a month, my mom always bought milk on sale and it went in the freezer. It was a tad bit watery, but it was fat-free, so it was watery even when it wasn't frozen.

Freeze away!

Well, I double-checked the date on the milk, and it's good through next Wednesday. So we're going to live dangerously and leave it in the fridge. :)

After you get home and open it, if something growls at you, you might consider not consuming it.

That reminds me of the SNL skit with Tom Hanks and the family that kept daring each other to do stupid things - like "taste this" when "this" was milk that was so far gone it was chunky. :D

Whey!! And curds. :)

Well, Miss Muffet - perhaps you can explain what a tuffet is?

Yes, yes I can.A tuffet is a small mound or hill, usually grass-covered. The word can also refer to a footstool.This has been another useless fact from the brain of Ann.

chefann said:
Yes, yes I can.

A tuffet is a small mound or hill, usually grass-covered. The word can also refer to a footstool.

This has been another useless fact from the brain of Ann.

And where are we supposed to get our useless fact from while you are off-line at Leadership????

I dunno.My sister sent me a book of useless facts for Christmas. It's called The Book of General Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is Wrong.

In downtown Lima, Peru, there is a large brass statue dedicated to Winnie-the-Pooh.The Hudson River along the island of Manhattan flows in either direction depending on the tide.I'm preparing to step into the role.

Very nice job, KG!

I'm also a veritable walking compendium of useless information.

Did you write the book my sister gave me? It doesn't have your name on the cover.

When I wrote that, I was going to use the pen name, I. Yam A. Compendium but I didn't know how to spell it.Iowa has more independent telephone companies than any other state.

In the spirit of Leadership, Cincinnati started a subway that was never finished and you can still see the entrance when going south on Central Parkway or I-75.

Do you know why Columbus doesn't have a professional football team?Because Cincinnati heard about it and they want one, too!

Really? We have a professional football team?

Sounds like Detroit. :rolleyes:<homer>So who won, the losers?
<moe>Naw, they lost.

Jean DeVries said:
Growing up in a large family whose dad only got paid once a month, my mom always bought milk on sale and it went in the freezer. It was a tad bit watery, but it was fat-free, so it was watery even when it wasn't frozen.

Freeze away!
My friend does this now, when milk goes on sale for 3 for $5 she stalks up. I unfortunely don't have the space for that, but I wish I did.

Over the holidays I was up north with the 13 other members of my family and we also used the back porch for extra freezer space. 1 gallon of milk froze and it was fine once it thawed. Not exactly the same, but fine.

I am also in charge of jello jigglers for family events and a usually clear a space in my garage to let them set up for the Christmas ones. If you haven't tried it, mixing the flavers is the best way to go. 2 boxes of raspberry, 1 lemon, and 1 cranberry is my favorite - especially if adding 3/4 cup of vodka and 1 cup of water. Sugar free works just as well if the regular is not available(usually for the cranberry).

I also make "special" jiggles for my DH for X-Box day. For those of you who do not know, which would be all of you since this is a family tradition and not a national holiday, X-Box day is the day after Thanksgiving-to most, known as Black Friday. Usually the men (boys?) in the family and friends pick a house - hopefully not mine (that large of a group of boys, I mean men, STINK) and set up 3-5 large screens, projectors, and x-box counsels and network them together. These are all males 18-55, none of them too nerdy, most have wives or girlfriends. Then they proceed to shoot, murder, and kill each other from 10am till they all pass out sometime the next morning. OK, this year they also played Guitar Hero until they almost had blisters, but they are professionals, so no real blisters. Anyway, my point was about the jigglers, lemon and lime work well together as well as peach and orange (fuzzy navel anybody?) and berry blue, grape and raspberry. I usually let the jelly set in cookie sheets and use cookie cutters to cut out the letters "X BOX" and lay them out on light colored plates. The boys seem to really like them.

Sorry for the hijack - one thought just led to another.

Mine froze by accident-DH turned the fridge up and we thawed it out and it tasted the same!

A friend of mine with a family of 5 only shops ONCE a month so she is the queen of freezer-ing :) Always freezes the milk. I can't imagine how much money I would save if I only went to the grocery store once a month!!! I am so envious :)

My mom used to freeze milk when I was a teen. I never tasted a difference.

If you are going to freeze a whole gallon though, make sure you pour some out to make room for it to expand. :D

1. Can You Freeze Milk?

Yes, you can freeze milk! Freezing milk is a great way to save it from expiring and prevent waste. However, there are some tips and considerations to keep in mind when freezing milk.

2. Will Frozen Milk Be Safe to Use After Thawing?

As long as the milk was fresh and safe to drink before freezing, it should be safe to use after thawing. However, the consistency and texture may change slightly, so it is best to use frozen milk in recipes or for cooking rather than drinking it straight.

3. Can I Use Frozen Milk in Recipes?

Yes, frozen milk can be used in recipes just like fresh milk. It may have a slightly different texture and consistency, but it will still work well in most recipes. Just make sure to thaw it completely before using it in your dish.

4. How Should I Store Milk in the Freezer?

It is best to store milk in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag to prevent freezer burn. Make sure to leave some room for the milk to expand as it freezes. It is also recommended to label the container with the date and type of milk for easy identification.

5. Does the Type of Milk (Whole, 2%, Skim) Matter When Freezing?

No, the type of milk does not matter when freezing. However, keep in mind that milk with higher fat content may separate more when frozen and thawed. Give it a good shake or stir before using it in a recipe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
Replies
Views
Windy City Pampered Chef
  • pchefinski
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
lisacb77