• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Profits from Free Cooking Shows: Tips and Strategies

In summary, many people say that they don't do "free" cooking shows because they feel like the host is doing them a favor by having the show and they end up spending a lot of money. However, if the host is willing to spend money on groceries, then a free show can be an economical option.
JackieB999
Gold Member
I see many people say that they don't do "free" cooking shows. I've been doing free shows because I want to be in control of the groceries being purchased and I feel like the host is doing me a favor by having the show and she is also buying other snacks... and maybe I need to change that mentality? I recently had a $300 show netting me $66 in commission, and $16 of that I spent on the food... plus gas, door prizes, supplies, etc. so I really made about $40!

If I decided to ask the host for the money... how do you do that? Do you add it to her order? What if she gives you a credit card?

How do you work it?

I only offer free cooking shows when I need bookings. Otherwise, I just tell the host to buy the groceries. I'm pretty specific on the lists I give her, and I've only ever had a host mess up the list once.It's too much trouble for me to go buy them and then ask the host to get them. Besides, I never do some really exotic recipe where the host can mess up the groceries.My suggestion -- If you don't mind spending the money, keep doing it. If you're tired of spending the money, then relinquish some control and provide the host with a list of groceries. You might be surprised at how well they do.

Keep your business EASY. Give the host the grocery list and let him/her do the shopping. If they leave something out...then oh well..you roll with it. I have only had that happen 2 times in 2.5 years.

Your hosts are hosting because they WANT to. They are not doing it to pay a favor to you. They are in if for themselves (to get free stuff and discounts) and we are the vehicle to help them do just that.

It's also up to the host if he/she wants to provide extra food. I tell my hosts to KEEP IT SIMPLE. I don't want them going all out and providing all this food. It looks time consuming and expensive to her guests and it's a deterrent for others booking a show. I explain that if they feel the need/want to provide extra snacky stuff....then do chips and salsa and a small fruit platter.

I use to do free cooking shows because I felt weird that I was asking them for money when they were doing me the favor of holding the show.

I just recently re-joined with PC and this time around I put a letter in their host packets stating,"Oick a recipe from the below and I will bring the ingredients and you can reimburse me at your show". By doing it this way, I didn't feel that I would get the push back. I guess I will see how it goes when I sit down with the host. I am telling her that I can take cash or check.

I completely agree with Caressa. The one time I bought the groceries for the host, it became a free show against my will! She just never paid me back, even after being presented with the receipt, etc. I always e-mail a shopping list to the host at least a week before the show. If the ingredients are too expensive, they can let me know, but so far nobody has. If I happen to have an ingredient on hand they probably won't use again (ie rum extract for the Brownie Tiramisu Trifle), I'll let them know I'll bring it (and, I take it home again!). If the recipe calls for an ingredient which can be replaced by one of our Pantry Products, I'll either do the same or delete it from the list. Otherwise, the cost is on them, and it's also up to them, like Caressa said, if they want to offer more food. I actually prefer they don't, so the focus can be completely on the PC recipes and products.

If I do a free show, it's for bookings, as others have said. I always have the host buy the ingredients. I've had people pick up things a little different than what I would've liked, but the recipe still turned out great. People liked it. It's helped me learn how to roll with the punches more. It has taught me to think quick and has also given me tips to share with guests in future shows. Our recipes are adaptable, whether it's with ingredients or tools.Another thing is, I don't feel comfortable asking a host to pay me back for things. Postage, groceries, etc. I just won't do that. What if they were planning on paying by credit card for their order, don't have checks, forgot to have cash on hand, etc. I don't want anyone uncomfortable.I also don't want to always buy groceries because it just adds one more thing to have to do to get ready for a show. I need things to be simple. It's better for others to view my job as simple, too. Hosts have never given me a hard time about buying the groceries. They expect to pay for it. They get compensated for it through free product value from PC, and I'll mention that to them if I ever detect hesitation.

I'm redoing things myself- and giving grocery lists to the hosts. They usually expect it anyway! I used to do "free cooking shows" but when I did taxes last year, I realized I spent way too much on that sort of thing with very little return, so I said no more.What I might do is if I have an ingredient, like mentioned above, such as spice or something, I bring that (or fresh basil from my garden, etc)...or if there is an ingredient that maybe IS hard to find in the little rinky-dink grocery stores (Food Lion for us!), I may bring it. *example- the Hash Brown Patties for one of our brunch recipes (name escapes me at the moment!)...but those can be hard to find at the smaller stores. I shop at a different one that usually has them and I know WHERE in the store! So I'd bring that item and give her the list for the rest.*

Present her with the receipt when you come in the house. Say, "Let's get this taken care of before the guests arrive". I generally split any $$ over the $15 allowance by the company.

I only offer free cooking shows when I need bookings, or when at fairs/festivals. I will bring the PC spices as needed. I make recipes with easy ingredients and have the ingredients listed on my personal website, for host to get.

Same here. I will do a free show as a prize from a booth and if I need shows but I rarely buy the groceries for the host. I have done that a few times and they have all been great about re-imbursing me. ...well most of them.

I do offer to bring certain ingredients that I have on hand but they might not - like garlic cloves, or some things that you need a tsp of but have to buy a big jar. And I always bring any PC spices needed. That helps cut their costs and they appreciate the gesture.

I always just give the host her shopping list - being as specific as possible with ingredients needed. Like some others, I do bring things that I know they might not usually purchase, and don't want them to end up with a large jar/bottle of something like that.

I also usually bring items that are the ones that are most often purchased incorrectly - parmesan cheese, garlic, etc....but if it's a past host, and I know they know what I'm looking for, I leave it up to them.

And like Caressa said, if an item is incorrect, then I just go with the flow. Much less stress that way, and less money out of my pocket.

(yes, I know it's a write-off, but it's still coming out of my pocket initially)

I used to purchase ingredients for my hosts, as I felt it was easier for me to do, but it was often tricky to get reimbursed - either I'd forget to get it right away, or then I'd lose the receipt, or the host would then forget to give me the money.
Now that I have a baby and it's not as easy to run to the grocery store, I'll be giving the hosts ingredient lists as well...

I've done it a few times for bookings, as others have said, but not on a regular basis. I feel like if a hostess isn't putting out any money, she isn't really as motivated to get people there.
On occasion when I do it, I always serve something super cheap like the Cheeseburger Salad!!!!

Thanks for all the input everyone! I'm thinking now that I'd better give up control of the grocery shopping and let the host do it... that way I don't have to even ask for reimbursement. Sounds like the best plan!

I think this is good for newer consultants to see. I personally provide all of the ingredients for my shows. I book 95% of my shows AT the show, and one of the things my guests/ future hosts absolutely love is that I bring the ingredients. I found last year that I needed all of the write-offs I could get. I almost had to pay in for the first time ever in my life. However, for new consultants I believe taking the ingredients can present a hardship, so I train my team to do what they can afford in the beginning and make the decision from there. I like the letters with the choices. It lays it all out right off the bat.

Never again!!!!

Ok, so I lied....LOL! I'm signing my first consultant in 2 weeks. Rock on....

I provide a list of 4 recipes and let them pick form there. THe ingredients are listed. I tell them to get the ingredients listed and if there is something extra needed, Iwill bring it. I also offer an additional "free" recipe if they get $100 in outside orders. I usually do a cake in the microwave in the fluted stone or the DCB. IT is cheap and easy. I mix the cake up at home and take it in the batter bowl and scrape it into the stone at the party. You would be surprised at how delighted they are to get a "free" recipe brought AND they work hard on getting some orders before the party.

If they host a cooking show the PC gives them $15 dollars free, right off the bat (well once they receive the $150 min. for a show) to reimburse them for the money for the food they had to buy, soooo, for them, the food is really free, so just state it like so. "The pampered Chef makes sure they take care of their hosts, so they do provide $15 dollars worth of free products to you for having a show to cover the cost of the ingredients! The money you spent on the ingredients is covered". its easy and when stated like a fact, people don't question it. When you sound embarrassed by it, they too become uncomfortable.

What is a free cooking show?

A free cooking show is a demonstration of Pampered Chef products and recipes by a Pampered Chef consultant. It is a fun and interactive way to learn new cooking techniques and try out new products.

How do I book a free cooking show?

To book a free cooking show, you can contact a Pampered Chef consultant in your area or visit the Pampered Chef website. You can also host a show in your own home and invite your friends and family to join in on the fun.

Do I have to buy anything at a free cooking show?

No, there is no obligation to purchase anything at a free cooking show. However, if you do choose to purchase Pampered Chef products, you can earn free and discounted products based on the total sales from your show.

Can I customize the menu for a free cooking show?

Yes, you can work with the Pampered Chef consultant to customize the menu for your free cooking show. They can also accommodate any dietary restrictions or preferences.

How long does a free cooking show typically last?

A free cooking show usually lasts around 2 hours, but this can vary depending on the menu and number of guests. The consultant will work with you to find a time that works best for everyone.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mrslulu2012
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • JackieB999
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • smartcookie