• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sharpening My Pampered Chef Utility Knife: Honing vs Professional Sharpening

In summary, the honing tool is specifically designed for use with the Pampered Chef Forged Cutlery, and should be used to maintain alignment of the blade as often as desired. It is not a sharpener and should only be done every one to two years, depending on usage.
SandiLeigh
I have the Utility knive that I got when I joined Pampered Chef.

Should these be professionally sharpened, or will the honing tool keep it sharp.

It just doesn't seem to be as sharp as it was when I first got it.

Thanks

Use the honing tool. It wil make them nice and sharp again.

Cutting Edge: Forged Cutlery Honing Tool
#1057 $19.50
Keep your forged knives razor sharp! Ceramic rods hone blade edges for optimal performance. A soft-grip, non-slip base gives you a comfortable, confident grip. The retractable counterguard keeps your counters safe. Easy use for right- and left-handers.

I always thought that honing and sharpening knives were two different operations... Alton Brown did a show on it once, but I may be remembering incorrectly?

jbachen said:
I always thought that honing and sharpening knives were two different operations... Alton Brown did a show on it once, but I may be remembering incorrectly?

I saw that one! Yes there was an Alton Brown show on that. My recruiter also told me that the honing tool just "straightens" the knife blade, not sharpens. But when I looked up the item description in the Catalog, there's no denying what it says... but I also still have my doubts. I was always told to take my knifes to get them professionally sharpened. I was told Farm Fresh will sharpen your knifes for free.

If we should get them sharpened how often should this be done.

Also, with the honing tool how often should that be used.

I am thinking about buying one on my kit enhancement but am not sure.

Also, I want to make sure I am giving my customers all the right information.

This is what the use and care guide says: "Honing Tool – This tool was custom-designed for use with our Forged (non-serrated) Cutlery. The ceramic rods are set at the correct angles to hone The Pampered Chef® Forged Cutlery (excluding the serrated 9” Bread Knife).* It is not for use with other brands of cutlery. Use the tool to maintain alignment of the edge as often as you desire. It can be done as often as daily! It is good to routinely hone the edges to keep them properly aligned and sharp. Professional knife sharpening is only needed every one to two years (depending on usage) and should be done when honing does not seem to be enough. Knives should be clean prior to honing and pacing in cases. The Honing Tool has a soft-grip, non-slip base for added safety and a retractable counterguard that protects surfaces during the honing process."

I have not been advocating to my guests that it "sharpens" mainly aligns. I just e-mail HO so hopefully we can get a clarification. I'll keep everyone posted on what I hear.

I just received a call back from the Test Kitchen regarding the Honing Tool. This is what was said:

You can tell when your knife needs to be honed when you look at it under a light and the blade appears dull. When you "hone" it becomes shiny. The honing tool also aligns the blade. You can also hone your knives daily if you wish.

IT IS NOT A SHARPENER! When you sharpen a knife, material is removed.

Also, the reason the honing tool is specific to our knives is because of the size of the rods inside the honing tool gives maximum aligning to the thickness of our knives. They can not guarantee it would work on other knives.

Hopefully this clarifies any questions we all have. It was really nice to get a return call from HO. I was expecting an email.

1. How often should I sharpen my Pampered Chef Utility Knife?

It is recommended to sharpen your Pampered Chef Utility Knife every 3-6 months, depending on how frequently you use it. Regular sharpening helps maintain the sharpness of the blade and ensures optimal performance.

2. What is the difference between honing and professional sharpening?

Honing is a maintenance process that realigns the edge of the blade, while professional sharpening involves removing a small amount of metal to create a new, sharp edge. Honing is recommended for regular maintenance, while professional sharpening should be done as needed.

3. Can I sharpen my Pampered Chef Utility Knife at home?

Yes, you can sharpen your knife at home using a honing rod or a knife sharpener specifically designed for your type of knife. However, for best results, we recommend getting your knife professionally sharpened by a trained sharpener.

4. How do I know when my knife needs to be sharpened?

If you notice that your knife is not cutting as easily as it used to, or if you have to use more force to cut through food, it may be time to sharpen your knife. You can also check the blade for any nicks or dullness.

5. Does Pampered Chef offer professional sharpening services for their knives?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers professional sharpening services for their knives. You can contact your local Pampered Chef consultant for more information or visit our website to find a certified sharpener near you.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PamperedK
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
PamperedK
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • babywings76