• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

forThose Who Babysit/Have In-Home Daycare

In summary, Heather's close friend does daycare and has different age ranges for the kids. She has learning toys, videos, etc. for them to use when they want to do something else besides play or watch tv. She also makes sure they have breakfast, lunch, and snacks at set times.
pamperedgirl3
Sorry, this is a little long!

I babysit my sister's two children & have a couple of my own. Hers are 4yo & 8 months & mine are 3yo & 5 months. I've had a problem getting organized & non-stressed out since mine has been born. Before, I could run out with the older two & do any activities I wanted with them because they are so close in age (18 month apart). But now I have the two babies also, so it takes more of my time away from the older ones for feeding, diapers, playing. So for those of you who have several children of different ages to take care of, I'm wondering what tricks do you have for staying organized, not stressed out & keeping the kids from getting too crazy?!

Also, what routines do you have for the way you schedule your day? Do you do any kind of learning activities or just kind of let the kids play on their own? How do you schedule lunches & such? Do you make lunch for everyone, or do they bring them from home? At pick up time, do you have the kids ready to go, or do they clean up before they put shoes & coats, etc. on? Also, what do you do if you have kids who come in the middle of the day? My nephew comes right before lunch from preschool, but it's a time where I need to be making lunch & can't focus on doing activites with him & my daughter. But when I have them do free-play, they usually end up getting into something or being too wild.

Sorry for all the questions, but I just know that there has to be a simple answer that my sleep-deprived stressed out brain isn't seeing!! Thanks!!

pamperedgirl3 said:
Sorry, this is a little long!

I babysit my sister's two children & have a couple of my own. Hers are 4yo & 8 months & mine are 3yo & 5 months. I've had a problem getting organized & non-stressed out since mine has been born. Before, I could run out with the older two & do any activities I wanted with them because they are so close in age (18 month apart). But now I have the two babies also, so it takes more of my time away from the older ones for feeding, diapers, playing. So for those of you who have several children of different ages to take care of, I'm wondering what tricks do you have for staying organized, not stressed out & keeping the kids from getting too crazy?!

Also, what routines do you have for the way you schedule your day? Do you do any kind of learning activities or just kind of let the kids play on their own? How do you schedule lunches & such? Do you make lunch for everyone, or do they bring them from home? At pick up time, do you have the kids ready to go, or do they clean up before they put shoes & coats, etc. on? Also, what do you do if you have kids who come in the middle of the day? My nephew comes right before lunch from preschool, but it's a time where I need to be making lunch & can't focus on doing activites with him & my daughter. But when I have them do free-play, they usually end up getting into something or being too wild.

Sorry for all the questions, but I just know that there has to be a simple answer that my sleep-deprived stressed out brain isn't seeing!! Thanks!!
I don't do daycare but my close freind does and she has full capacity most days. Age ranges from 6 months to 5 years old.
She doesn't do any set or daily learning activities so to speak but they have a million learning type toys, she has learning videos, and of course regular cartoons on disney. She also has crayons, books, etc for them if they want to do something other than play or watch tv. On nice warm days she has a nice backyard with a swing set and outdoor toys.

She does breakfast since they come every day, early morning (as early as 6:30am) but they do come in shifts so she feeds them as they come.
She also does lunch at set times and afternoon snacks at set times. She's very routine for the kids to handle and they are used to it. HTH

Thanks, Heather. I do have learning toys, crayons, books, etc. I also try to do crafts & other hands-on things. I guess my problem is trying to find a schedule that seems to work. Lunch time can be chaos because I still have to feed the babies their food myself & the older two end up completely messing up the house while I do that.

I had a friend who left work to be home with her kids watching mine a few years ago. Her daughter was born 2 months before my son. By the time they were 1 year old she gave up watching my son claiming he was "naughty" and wouldn't listen to her. So, I found another sitter that enjoyed my kids...For awhile it bothered me, I never had issues with him, but she claimed she has to discipline him, etc (timeouts only). Well, fast forward 2 years and my current sitter of that long and any substitutes say he is and has always been the best child they have ever watched...his SS and AWANA leaders say the same, nursery workers always said the same and always wondered why I asked if he behaved himself...???Then DD who is now 6 and was 4 at the time started verbalizing what she noticed. Basically, the story came out that this lady's child was the naughty one, she was demanding 100% attention and didn't like my DS there and DS would try to get ANY attention from her only to be pushed aside.In the long run, I'm glad he got pulled when he did and to a person who appreciates and loves him. My kids miss when they don't see their sitter for awhile and I'm glad they like her.On your situation...1. I'd set up a routine for what you can. Most (not all) but most kids do like some type of routine and with that many young ones, it will help your sanity.2. On food, I pack lunches for my kids sometimes, but my sitters always provided lunch, made it so the kids all got the same thing and didn't fight over one family bringing a special treat. In some states as a childcare provider, you can claim food costs...3. My kids don't have structured learning activites, but often spend hours coloring.4. My kids get ready when I get there since I may be off 10-15 minutes. If I have an appointment that day to get to I warn my sitter if we are getting the kids early so they can be ready. She will sometimes get them ready early.5. Some may disagree, but I view my kids as GUESTS in my sitter's house so they abide by her house rules when there. They are pretty consistent with mine, I may be MORE strict at times, but I've seen others where the parents want the sitter to be more lenient than them...sorry, but I tell my kids that is disrespectful to their property and house and to act like guests.6. Oh, and naps...DS - age 4 still takes an afternoon nap. DD - 6 when not in school sometimes takes one. It is optional for her, but if she doesn't nap she has to read and color for that time (quiet activities). In the morning they have "louder" play time. That way the routine is better for my sitter to have some sanity and a life.

Oh, forgot to add, if you can give each one some individual time either reading or whatever, they will appreciate that and probably be more respectful. If they are "going nuts" it is usually because they are craving some one-on-one time.

I don't keep kids but Luke is at a sitter one day a week.

They have a snack around 830/9. Most of the kids get there between 730-800.

She has plenty of DVD for them to watch and toys and games for them to play with.

1100/1130 she feeds then and then they go to the bathroom before nap time to help with accidents and they are usually asleep around 1200 and well sleep for 1-1.5 hrs. She fixes lunch for them all and they all eat the same thing. Sometimes if I have have left overs that will feed all the children I will take it to her, so, she can get a break from cooking.

She has 6 kids mostly. 2 that are aound a year, a 2 year old, a 3 year old Luke is 4 and one that comes sometimes that is around Luke's age.

She know our routine of when we normaly get there and has them ready around that time. I tell her in the morning if it will be any different. She has the kids help her pick up through out the day.

They have an afternoon snack around 300.

I agree with Janet, Luke should be as respectful and mindful with her as he is with me, if not more. People that think their kids can rule a daycare are horrible, IMHO! And he is to abide by her rules in her home. I also agree (although she did not exactly say this) that being in SS and AWANA has Luke being one of the better bahaved kids and people comment to me about it all the time.

Example of rules, there was a child there that was being a bully. She told the parents she was going to let the children start "fighting" back. The mom did not like it and she told her if she didn't then that was fine but she could no longer keep him. Luke would come home telling me how the child would hit him and he would even have scratches. Time outs or swatting did no good at all. Well, we sat Luke down and taught him how to take up for himself. The others did the same thing. Nothing major, so, don't think we taught them to be horricle. After about a week of the other children defending themselves, the little boy quit being a bully. Of course some people will have different views on this, but in our house "you do not throw the first punch, but you better defend yourself and throw the second one."

I think kids like routine even if they do not at first. They like it when they know what is coming next.

She has bins in her kitchen with everone's name on it that their things like bags, clothes, jackets and other items go in to keep them separated. She has cots for each one to take a nap on and playpen for each infant.

Also, she has one of those huge long gates in between her kitchen and living room to keep them out of there. And one on her stairs to keep them off there. She has a fenced in playground. They go out in morning or afternoon or sometimes both. She does have her daughter helping her.

Thanks, Janet & Jennifer! Janet, I like your idea of making sure that everyone has one on one time. I don't always do that.

Getting into a routine is getting a little easier day by day as the babies get older. It was rough when my son was 2 months & the other was 5 months. Mornings & lunch time can get crazy. I'm not a morning person & it takes me until about 10 am until I feel functionable!

I think part of the problem with the older ones getting a little wild when they play is that they are cousins & see each other all the time. They act like brother & sister. They do better when I have structured activities for them to do, but when I'm trying to make lunch I don't always have time to be focused on doing something with them. I will be so happy when the weather gets warm & I can wear them out by playing outside!

Christy, I was thinking of you- there is a Jon & Kate Plus 8 marathon on right now. Man that woman has a heck of a routine down. I am sure there has to be a book or something on this. If not, Kate needs to write one! haha. Good luck in finding something that works for you. Hopefully with the nicer weather and the kids getting older something will fall into place for you.

I applaud you for taking care of someone else's children. I had the same situation way back when, but it was only once a week and for only about three hours. I couldn't let the older two be up in the boys' bedroom for very long w/o my supervision or I'd regret it, that's for sure!

It sounds like your biggest dilemma is finding something for the older kids to do while you're busy with the younger two. While you're trying to get lunch ready and feeding the babies, give the older kids an activity like play dough, coloring, blowing bubbles, Legos, blocks, etc. Give them a choice and one choice will be alone time (in an area where they can't play with their cousin or be with you) if they don't stay calm and in the area you have chosen for the activity. Clear rules help: no yelling, no running, no throwing or hitting.

Learning time could be puzzles or looking at books and double as quiet time. Tell them they can stay together if they are calm and quiet. But I think it's fine to put them in separate spaces if they don't take naps. I'm not a fan of t.v. for this age, but that's JMO. Although, we did watch Veggie Tales and Barney occasionally, mostly in the yucky winter or rainy weather.

Your 3 and 4 year olds can stay focused for 10 to 15 minutes. In fact, you can add to the time each day until you're comfortable with the amount. Even 20 minutes should be fine with "practice". If the babies cry while you're enforcing rules, let them cry. They'll be fine and the time you take for discipline will be way worth it.

As long as you give the older kids "free play" and individual attention along with the structure, your day should go fine.

As you're making a simple lunch for the older kids, you can have the kids design their placemats (scrap paper, line paper...they won't care). You could give them a new theme each day like a holiday, a color, an animal, etc. Or give them a paper plate for their lunch to draw a design of their own while they wait. Give warnings before hand of what you expect and what will happen if they don't stick to the plan.

As far as getting them ready to go home..."Yes!" I think they should clean up their mess. We used to sing the Barney song, "Clean up, clean up. Everybody, everywhere. Clean up, clean up. Everybody do your share." Reward them with a calm game or a story as you're waiting for parent to come. I wouldn't have them get coats and shoes on unless you know the parent is going to be in a hurry. If the kids are playing nicely, you might choose to let them play rather than having them clean up.

You will figure it out. You're the adult, so you get to decide because you know what's best for you and for the kids. Order and peace are always best. (And by peace, I don't totally mean quiet.) :)

I don't do daycare, but I can tell you from taking my own children to daycare for many years I hated it when my kids weren't ready to go when I arrived. I also hated it when the babysitter would talk to me forever! I just worked a long day. I had to get home and fix dinner, do homework, etc. The worst for this was my MIL. She had a pool and when I arrived my kids would still be swimming! I had to get my kids dried off, dressed, etc. She was just LAZY!

If someone doesn't arrive at the same time every day to pick up the kids I can understand them not being ready, but if it's consistent the kids should be ready.

My MIL had me pack food when my kids were on baby food, but would feed all the kids the same thing when they got older.

The main thing w/kids is to have an award system. I teach Sunday School now. We have play time at the end of class. If they don't sit still, talk when they aren't supposed to, etc., they don't get any play time. It works like a charm.

I've considered doing daycare in my home since my day job is so far away (with gas prices the way the are) and we aren't very busy, but I'm not sure I could handle more then about 3-4 kids. I don't know what the going rate is for daycare these days.

JAE has some great ideas. Good luck!

Try making up lunches the night before. Have the older ones set the table and make a small part of the lunch. Have the older ones help entertain the little ones with songs while you warm up or put the finishing touches on the plates.Robin

Melissa, I LOVE Jon & Kate plus 8. My DH thinks Jon is hilarious because Kate always freaks out & Jon is so laid back. I did actually catch one of them that night.

JAE, Rhonda & Robin--Thanks for your ideas! They are awesome! I am so excited for the kids to come back so I can try them. I don't have them again until Tuesday, so I'll have the weekend to get my mind organized. I LOVE the idea of them making their own plates or placemats. Lunchtime really is the most hectic & that is great. I also love JAE's idea of having them have to do alone time somewhere without me or the other if they misbehave. That would work great--they hate not being able to play together.

Thank you so much, everyone. I have had some personal issues going on since having my son & it's made watching the kids very stressful. I love doing it, but it was wearing on me. But I feel like I am finally at a place to start doing these things with them. I will admit, I've gotten very lazy since having my son & it's just easier not to have them ready, have clear games, activities to do, etc. But I'm ready to go back to the fun we had before the babies & to be able to spend individual time with the older ones & babies too.

If anyone else has things that have worked for them, bring them on! I used to be a teacher, so I love structure & having the kids learn things, etc. But sometimes when it's your own house & not a classroom, it makes it a little harder (especially since the ones I watch are close family!!). I really appreciate the ideas.

I highly doubt you're lazy. It's very hard to have a newborn, especially when you have another child of your own. Then on top of that, you're watching other children. You're tired, not lazy.

Routine Routine Routine = SanityI babysit ONE other - so the kids ages are 2.5, 1.5, and 11 mo.

Maybe I am strict - but there are RULES in my house. I have taught Anna, the little girl I babysit certain things (like holding a cup, NOT throwing food OR her cup, etc.) I struggled with this for a few days - but I realized this is MY house and I am not going to look after other kids if I am going to be stressed out over their behaviours (when I strongly feel like my expectations are age appropriate).

We have breakfast at the same time - and they ALL each the same thing. We ALL have snack at the same time, as well. I have 2 booster seats and 1 highchair - they each have their own chair (they ALWAYS sit in the same one) so there is NO fighting -- or at least I try to limit the fights :). The youngest two go down for naps AT THE SAME TIME and then Katie (the oldest) goes down about 1 hour after the babies (so I usually get about 1 - 2 hours of ME time). HAVING LIGHT SNACKS TO TIDE THE KIDS OVER UNTIL I AM READY WITH LUNCH IS IMPORTANT (it keeps me sane because the kids aren't screaming for food). Routine is SO important for me - without consistency, we would be more stressed and WAY too chaotic for me.

If the others are napping and one (or two) are awake - then it is QUIET TIME where there are NO loud toys - so the kids will read books, do puzzles, play Play-Doh, color, etc.

I have a double stroller, so Katie usually walks (because she is a 'big girl') and the other two are in the stroller WITH SNACKS to occupy them (so they don't fuss or want out).

We also almost ALWAYS have music on - usually my radio station (because I would be nuts from listening to kids music ALL day - lol) because that seems to keep everyone calm.

Later afternoon, we go outside or do something special. That is almost the end of the day where we ALL need to do something different (I try to go outside everyday). I took the kids out today - and BOY OH BOY did we get looks (everyone thought they were ALL mine!) They must have thought 'she must have been a busy lady *wink wink* LOL.

I've watched many children in my home over the last ten years. These are just my tips that have worked for me. Please do with them what you will:
1. My house my rules. (Age appropirate of course) Don't care what your mom lets you do at home :)
2. Schedule eating times, naps, etc. I always tried to be very consistant with my schedule. We ate and napped at the same time every day.
3. My own children always had their bedroom and some toys that were just their very own. The child care children were not allowed in my boys' rooms, unless the boys said it was okay. That was my kiddos personal space.
4. Pick up stuff laying around the house whenever you can so it doesn't pile up. Deep clean one room a day. Thats it. If you only clean the bathroom once a week. Thats okay.
5. I learned its okay if the children watch TV so I can get some work done around the house. The kid shows now a days are very educational. And its one more thing you can add to your schedule. If Dora comes on every day at 3 pm thats when the older kids watch it and maybe the babies can get a quick nap. (Just an example)
6. Remember this too shall pass. They wont be babies forever. Wait til potty training comes. :)
7. I always provided food and drinks. Everyone got the same thing, no fighting that way.Hope some of this helps.

I've run a home daycare for 4 years now. Routine is the key to sanity. Let me say that again, because it is SO true - routine is the key to sanity. For you as well as the kids!!!

I'm licensed for 8 kids, not counting my oldest 2. So the kids I watch right now are 7, 6, 5, 4, 2, 2, 6 months and 4 months.

Our summers are really smooth because our days are not interrupted by 3 bus stop runs! Here's the routine I follow:

8 - breakfast
9 - preschool (I followed a curriculum that I found at www.letteroftheweek.dom) For the older kids, I followed a reading program from a book called Teach your Child to Read in 100 easy lessons. We'd also do crafts during this time. I like to teach thematically, so throughout the course of the week or 2 weeks, we'd cover many areas, including math and science, etc.
10 - OUTSIDE. I cannot emphasize enough how important this part of the day is!!! Kids are so much better behaved on the days we get outside. This makes for a long winter, btw!!
12 - lunch (we come in about 11:30 to get washed up and lunch prepped)
1 - Rest time. (in the state of MD, a rest period is required. I let the older kids lay down with books or a movie, but they usually fall asleep!!)
3:30 - Snack
4 - Free Play - they play inside with the toys we have, including puzzles and dress up and cars, etc.
5 - clean up and storytime
5:30 - CLOSE. This is when I start dinner (or finish dinner if I start during naptime!!)

I provide breakfast lunch and snack, kids get milk with meals, but otherwise only water. I have a very thorough contract that I'd be happy to share if you pm me at [email protected].

good luck! :)

4kids4me said:
I've run a home daycare for 4 years now. Routine is the key to sanity. Let me say that again, because it is SO true - routine is the key to sanity. For you as well as the kids!!!

I'm licensed for 8 kids, not counting my oldest 2. So the kids I watch right now are 7, 6, 5, 4, 2, 2, 6 months and 4 months.

Our summers are really smooth because our days are not interrupted by 3 bus stop runs! Here's the routine I follow:

8 - breakfast
9 - preschool (I followed a curriculum that I found at www.letteroftheweek.dom) For the older kids, I followed a reading program from a book called Teach your Child to Read in 100 easy lessons. We'd also do crafts during this time. I like to teach thematically, so throughout the course of the week or 2 weeks, we'd cover many areas, including math and science, etc.
10 - OUTSIDE. I cannot emphasize enough how important this part of the day is!!! Kids are so much better behaved on the days we get outside. This makes for a long winter, btw!!
12 - lunch (we come in about 11:30 to get washed up and lunch prepped)
1 - Rest time. (in the state of MD, a rest period is required. I let the older kids lay down with books or a movie, but they usually fall asleep!!)
3:30 - Snack
4 - Free Play - they play inside with the toys we have, including puzzles and dress up and cars, etc.
5 - clean up and storytime
5:30 - CLOSE. This is when I start dinner (or finish dinner if I start during naptime!!)

I provide breakfast lunch and snack, kids get milk with meals, but otherwise only water. I have a very thorough contract that I'd be happy to share if you pm me at [email protected].

good luck! :)

Doing that book with my 4 year old!!!! Of course, we've only done 4 lessons...

forgotP.S.
Mom's supply diapers and jarred baby food or cereal

Once they are onto solids and finger foods - I provide that.

Routine is the same as Jon & Kate Plus 8 - what happens to one, happens to all - ex: diaper changes, getting dressed. This makes things simple for the ages of my kids (when one gets something, the other two want it).

JAE said:
I highly doubt you're lazy. It's very hard to have a newborn, especially when you have another child of your own. Then on top of that, you're watching other children. You're tired, not lazy.

Thanks, that's probably a nicer way to put it!! I feel lazy because I'm not on top of things like I always have been. But you're right, I'm probably more tired than anything.

1. What are some easy and healthy snack options for kids?

Some easy and healthy snack options for kids include fruit and vegetable slices, whole grain crackers with cheese, homemade granola bars, and yogurt with fresh berries.

2. How can I involve the kids in meal prep without making a mess?

You can involve the kids in meal prep by having them help with simple tasks like stirring, measuring ingredients, and assembling sandwiches or wraps. You can also give them their own designated space to work in and provide child-safe utensils and tools.

3. What are some quick and nutritious meal ideas for picky eaters?

Some quick and nutritious meal ideas for picky eaters include mac and cheese with hidden vegetables, mini pizzas with whole wheat crust and veggie toppings, and chicken and vegetable stir fry with a side of brown rice.

4. How can I keep the kids entertained while preparing meals?

You can keep the kids entertained while preparing meals by involving them in the meal prep process, setting up a designated play area nearby, or providing them with activities such as coloring or playing with sensory bins.

5. How can I make sure the kids are getting enough nutrients in their meals?

To ensure that the kids are getting enough nutrients in their meals, try to incorporate a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and protein sources. You can also involve them in choosing and preparing their own meals, which can encourage them to try new and healthy foods.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
heather223
  • sburnside
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
daniellemorgan
  • TammyStar
  • General Chat
Replies