• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

forThose of Us Over 40 Years Old...

In summary, DS brought home a toy today from Grandmas that belonged to DH. It was two hard balls, each on the end of a long string that you bounce together and it makes that "clackety" sound. They are called clackers.
chefmeg
Gold Member
my DS brought home a toy today from Grandmas that belonged to DH...it was two hard balls, each on the end of a long string that you bounce together and it makes that "clackety" sound...........what were these things called???

Clackers is all I can think of and I am pretty sure that's not it!

chefmeg said:
my DS brought home a toy today from Grandmas that belonged to DH...it was two hard balls, each on the end of a long string that you bounce together and it makes that "clackety" sound...........what were these things called???

Vintage lot of 4 Click Clacker Ball toy clack classic ...I looked it up online and it gave me a link to E-bay... they are calling them Click Clacker toys

HTH

(I'm not 40 years old, so I hope you won't be upset that I found an answer for you. :))

We called them clackers. My brother and I had a set of neon colored ones and we tossed them out into the woods one day back in teh 70's...up until a few years ago we could still see them from the kitchen window at my Mom's house - they got stuck up in a tree 30+ years ago - LOL Ours were not wood, though - they were a hard plastic/resin stuff.

chefmeg said:

I'm not over 40 but I remember them... I wanted one... Mom thought they were too dangerous. We called them clackers... though don't know that they had an official name.

now see, I remember calling them clackers and DH laughed at me! See what he knows.....

Kasey and LK....I am laughing like crazy about how much you want to deny you are UNDER 40! It's OK-we all try to avoid it as long and as we can and then realize that 40 isn't so bad after all!

My brother had a set and I think I remember them being banned where we lived at the time (Texas, which I think says alot!) because stupid kids did stupid things with them!

Last edited:
chefmeg said:
now see, I remember calling them clackers and DH laughed at me! See what he knows.....

Kasey and LK....I am laughing like crazy about how much you want to deny you are UNDER 40! It's OK-we all try to avoid it as long and as we can and then realize that 40 isn't so bad after all!

My brother had a set and I think I remember them being banned where we lived at the time (Texas, which I think says alot!) because stupid kids did stupid things with them!
Seriously, I will be 36 on 01/30/2008! :) My DH is 44 however... I'm his trophy wife!;)

I expect birthdy e-cards to be sent to me now...since I shared my age to prove to Chef Meg I was under 40... :)

PS Meg- your wish is my command. I posted a disclaimer, just for you!!!

Last edited:
I am under 40 too Meg and we had them! About knocked myself out with them!

They were like very large marbles on a string. We had a clear set, cousins had a light pick set.

I can't think of a name other than clackers either...

I'm under 40, and I loved my clackers! This was one of my favorite toys...I'm easily amused.

now that DS has had them for about half-an-hour, I understand why my Mom may have told us they were banned and we couldn't play with them anymore............can you say ANNOYING:eek:

having a large glass of wine to help drown out the noise:D

missyciccolella said:
I'm under 40, and I loved my clackers! This was one of my favorite toys...I'm easily amused.

LOL!!! I'm easily amused too...Oh, look- Belly button lint!:D

kidding- I think it's a squiggle thing

chefmeg said:
now that DS has had them for about half-an-hour, I understand why my Mom may have told us they were banned and we couldn't play with them anymore............can you say ANNOYING:eek:

having a large glass of wine to help drown out the noise:D
Don't you mean large bottle of wine to drown out the noise?:D I would cringe if my kids has this toy now...

Unfortunately, I am over 40 and all I ever remember them being called were Clackers. Those things were harsh! I kept bruises on my forearm until I got decent at them. lol Mine were the hard resin also. My sisters and I had contests to see who could go the longest. They got thrown at each other a few times, too. lol

Bolo yoyo or Eskimo yoyo_Or toy bolo. Grew up in L.A., maybe regional names?

"Clackers were eventually discontinued after children got injured whilst playing with them: besides being fairly heavy and fast-moving, the spheres, being made of hard acrylic plastic, could shatter upon striking each other, presenting a safety hazard."

Alternate Names:
Bangers
Bonkers
Clack Clacks
Clackers
Click-Clacks
Crackers
Gnip-Gnops
Kerbangers
Ker-Knockers
Klackers
Klick-Klacks
Knockers
K-Nokkers
Mini Poppers
Popper Knockers
Poppers
Quick Clacks
Quick Klacks
Quick Wacks
Rockers
Super Clackers
Tikka Takkas
Wackers
Whackers
Whack'os
Whak Kos
Zonkers

missyciccolella said:
Don't you mean large bottle of wine to drown out the noise?:D I would cringe if my kids has this toy now...

YEP....the bottle is now empty(sharing with DH) and I made the child put those things away! Gonna have to hise them as now his sister is jealous and wants to play with them too!

I AM under 40... 1971... same day Khruschev died though, obviously, I didn't know that at the time... LOL...

Last edited:
janetupnorth said:
"Clackers were eventually discontinued after children got injured whilst playing with them: besides being fairly heavy and fast-moving, the spheres, being made of hard acrylic plastic, could shatter upon striking each other, presenting a safety hazard."

Alternate Names:
Bangers
Bonkers
Clack Clacks
Clackers
Click-Clacks
Crackers
Gnip-Gnops
Kerbangers
Ker-Knockers
Klackers
Klick-Klacks
Knockers
K-Nokkers
Mini Poppers
Popper Knockers
Poppers
Quick Clacks
Quick Klacks
Quick Wacks
Rockers
Super Clackers
Tikka Takkas
Wackers
Whackers
Whack'os
Whak Kos
Zonkers

Ahh, I see you have just as much time on your hands as I have on mine! :) Wanna go run amuck with me? It's lots of fun;)

Kitchen Diva said:
Ahh, I see you have just as much time on your hands as I have on mine! :) Wanna go run amuck with me? It's lots of fun;)

Naw, not time, just can find anything on the internet in 30 seconds or less. ;)

Tee-hee...

I'd run amuck, but my kids wore me out today skiing, tubing, etc.!!!! We're actually enjoying all this snow.

AMUCK! AMUCK! AMUCK! Can't you just see Sarah Jessica Parker saying this in "Hocus Pocus"............I must get out more!

Kasey-I love the disclaimer!

janetupnorth said:

Alternate Names:
Bangers
Bonkers
Clack Clacks
Clackers
Click-Clacks
Crackers
Gnip-Gnops
Kerbangers
Ker-Knockers
Klackers
Klick-Klacks
Knockers
K-Nokkers
Mini Poppers
Popper Knockers
Poppers
Quick Clacks
Quick Klacks
Quick Wacks
Rockers
Super Clackers
Tikka Takkas
Wackers
Whackers
Whack'os
Whak Kos
Zonkers

Gnip-Gnop was a different game (though I suppose some may have called clackers that?)... it's ping pong backwards.... my brother had it and it involved light balls and an enclosed game area with paddle type things you beat on to try and get all the balls to your opponent's side... it's loud and the perfect kid game. LOL... also is great age equalizer as it takes no skill... just faster beating. LOL
http://www.gamesbyjames.com/prodimg/240100.JPG

lkprescott said:
Gnip-Gnop was a different game (though I suppose some may have called clackers that?)... it's ping pong backwards.... my brother had it and it involved light balls and an enclosed game area with paddle type things you beat on to try and get all the balls to your opponent's side... it's loud and the perfect kid game. LOL... also is great age equalizer as it takes no skill... just faster beating. LOL
http://www.gamesbyjames.com/prodimg/240100.JPG

we just seem to be feeding these things to KG this evening....come on KG, I know you have a comment!

chefmeg said:
AMUCK! AMUCK! AMUCK! Can't you just see Sarah Jessica Parker saying this in "Hocus Pocus"............I must get out more!

Kasey-I love the disclaimer!
That's where I got that line. I've been trying to find that video for years, I'd love to have it on DVD.

Janet, sorry you are too pooped to run amuck. We took the dogs on a long walk through the woods today. They were up to their chins in snow. I have a feeling I'll be sore tomorrow. :)

Meg, I'm glad you like the disclaimer- I did it just for you! :)

KERBANGERS!! That's what they were called!

where are you two located??? we had about 1/2 inch of snow on December 5th and nothing since....I want to have it while my kids are still young enough to enjoy playing in it!

Kitchen Diva said:
That's where I got that line. I've been trying to find that video for years, I'd love to have it on DVD.

Janet, sorry you are too pooped to run amuck. We took the dogs on a long walk through the woods today. They were up to their chins in snow. I have a feeling I'll be sore tomorrow. :)

Meg, I'm glad you like the disclaimer- I did it just for you! :)

What kind of dogs?

Ours took off last night...caught them about 1 1/2 miles away (Samoyed/Border Collie Mix so if let out they RUN!)

Well, I am over 40 and I too remember them. I was in Junior High School in Miami and we called them 'Clackers'. Loved those things! DS got something sort of similar to them at the Dentist office last year - much much smaller and made of plastic - I had such fun with them.

I had neon green ones. I remember getting them at Woolworths. I also remember a big deal about them shattering and the glass flying in kids eyes and them being pulled off the shelves.

chefmeg said:
where are you two located??? we had about 1/2 inch of snow on December 5th and nothing since....I want to have it while my kids are still young enough to enjoy playing in it!

Northern WI Meg...

Here is what we did today:

12-29-07_1241-1.jpg

12-29-07_1430.jpg

Sammie making a snow angel but lost in the snow...

I live in Minnesota, a suburb of St.Paul
We have two Golden Retreivers. I've read the posts on how to post a picture to the website, but I cannot figure it out, so I'll add links to pics of our pooches. Spirit is the big one, and Delaney (Laney) is the small one in the snow.

Okay, the pictures are too big, and for some reason my computer isn't letting me edit them to make them smaller. You'll just have to trust me that they are cute. :)

Kitchen Diva said:
I live in Minnesota, a suburb of St.Paul
We have two Golden Retreivers. I've read the posts on how to post a picture to the website, but I cannot figure it out, so I'll add links to pics of our pooches. Spirit is the big one, and Delaney (Laney) is the small one in the snow.

Okay, the pictures are too big, and for some reason my computer isn't letting me edit them to make them smaller. You'll just have to trust me that they are cute. :)

I use photobucket and use the IMG link from there.

chefmeg said:
we just seem to be feeding these things to KG this evening....come on KG, I know you have a comment!
Sorry, I was at a party this evening so I missed all this fun.

We used to have a guy in our little CB club (you have to be even older than 40 to remember the CB craze) who called himself, "Clackers." He had something in his system that made that annoying sound whenever he keyed his mic.

When I was a kid, we called Ping-Pong "Kanneep-Kannop" because that's the sound the balls make when they hit the paddle (Kanneep) then the table (Kannop.)

Those of us who lived on the north side and had CBs in range used to stay up half the night, ratchet-jawin' on the radidio. Sort of like we do here now, except back then you had to actually talk and hold a conversation, like a prototype chat room. The guys who only had moe bile units would sit in the car all night, freezin' this time of the year. Those of us who had base units could stay in the warm house.

I am turning 40 at Leadership Friday the 11th :) :sing: .
I Loved the Clackers and the lemon twist, anyone remember this, it went around your ankle and the end of it looked like a lemon and you jumped it.

I missed it all (out buying appliances) and I also missed out on those clackers too. I AM over 40 - over 50 in fact:eek: - and never heard of them.:cry:

Yes, they were called "Clackers". I used to love to play Marbles and Jacks!:D

Chef Stacy Edwards said:
I Loved the Clackers and the lemon twist, anyone remember this, it went around your ankle and the end of it looked like a lemon and you jumped it.

I remember the lemon twist~saw something like it on TV not long ago and my DD was all excited about it!

I remember that as the Skip-It.

Yes, I am 29 and I remember clackers!! LOL My brother who is younger was the one who got that annoying toy one Christmas!!

We called it Skip-It too. Then when my daughters were little (mid 80's) it came out again. Still have a pink neon 80's skip-it hanging in the attic! I think it still works!
Remember Sit & Spin - we have that too!

My favorite was my Close & Play Record Player tho - I played my Monkees and Beatles records till I wore them out!

One of my nieces just got a Sit N Spin this year for her birthday! Those were cool!

Chef Stacy Edwards said:

I had the Clackers AND the bruises. I swear, they were like giant marbles!

But, I was the QUEEN of the Lemon Twist!!!!! And that is what I remember the ORIGINAL one called. I could Lemon Twist and do anything at the same time. LOL! I was also really good at the hoola hoop. Way too much time on my hands!!

I couldn't Hoola, but I could stay on a pogo stick forever!!!!

I also got a new Rubik cube for Christmas (it was on sale for $5 - he-he).

Just the plain old-fashioned one.

janetupnorth said:
I couldn't Hoola, but I could stay on a pogo stick forever!!!!

I also got a new Rubik cube for Christmas (it was on sale for $5 - he-he).

Just the plain old-fashioned one.

I could pogo with no hands! LOL! Until the metal got too hot.

PamperedChefDebi said:
I could pogo with no hands! LOL! Until the metal got too hot.

Oh my....trying not to go there! ;)

:p <-------That's me biting my tongue - see it bleeding?

janetupnorth said:
Oh my....trying not to go there! ;)

:p <-------That's me biting my tongue - see it bleeding?

LOL! I was only 9 or 10!!! Come on! I was totally innocent. :angel:

That did sound funny, huh? :D

I had a pogo stick, too, but I used my hands! I had the clacker, lemon twist and a sit-n-spin, and I also had some metal u-shaped thing that you held in your hand and a plastic puck looking thing that moved up, around, back down, and then you twisted your wrist and made it go the opposite way. Anyone remember what that was called?

And yes, KG, I remember the CB craze - dad was a truck driver for a local bakery and his handle was "Bagel Baker". And I have to throw in my defense - I'm not well over 40...yet. I will be 40 in 8 months and 6 days, though!

Last edited:
dianevill said:
I had a pogo stick, too, but I used my hands! I had the clacker, lemon twist and a sit-n-spin, and I also had some metal u-shaped thing that you held in your hand and a plastic puck looking thing that moved up, around, back down, and then you twisted your wrist and made it go the opposite way. Anyone remember what that was called?

And yes, KG, I remember the CB craze - dad was a truck driver for a local bakery and his handle was "Bagle Baker". And I have to throw in my defense - I'm not well over 40...yet. I will be 40 in 8 months and 6 days, though!

Oh yeah, I know EXACTLY what you mean...now to think of the name...my friend had one and I didn't. :(

I'm almost in the next age category :eek: . . . we called them clackers ~ I still have my purple ones from wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy far back!

dianevill said:

And yes, KG, I remember the CB craze - dad was a truck driver for a local bakery and his handle was "Bagle Baker". And I have to throw in my defense - I'm not well over 40...yet. I will be 40 in 8 months and 6 days, though!

It was some kind of yo-yo.

Yes, but on two metal tracks...

<h2>1. What are those toys with two hard balls on strings called?</h2><p>The toy you are describing is commonly known as "clackers" or "click clacks". They were popular in the 1970s and 1980s and were often made of hard plastic or acrylic.</p><h2>2. What is the purpose of clackers?</h2><p>Clackers were primarily used as a toy for children to play with. The goal was to get the two balls to swing and hit each other, making a "clacking" sound. They were also sometimes used as a form of exercise or for hand-eye coordination.</p><h2>3. Are clackers safe for children to play with?</h2><p>While clackers were marketed as a toy for children, they were actually quite dangerous. The hard plastic balls could easily break and fly off the string, causing injuries to the child or anyone nearby. As a result, many schools and playgrounds banned clackers.</p><h2>4. Can adults play with clackers?</h2><p>Clackers were originally marketed towards children, but many adults also enjoyed playing with them. In fact, there were even competitions and tournaments held for clacker enthusiasts. However, they can still be dangerous and should be used with caution.</p><h2>5. Are clackers still available to buy?</h2><p>While clackers were popular in the past, they are not as common now. They can still be found for sale through vintage or retro toy sellers, but they are not widely available. Due to their safety concerns, they are not produced by major toy companies anymore.</p>

1. What are those toys with two hard balls on strings called?

The toy you are describing is commonly known as "clackers" or "click clacks". They were popular in the 1970s and 1980s and were often made of hard plastic or acrylic.

2. What is the purpose of clackers?

Clackers were primarily used as a toy for children to play with. The goal was to get the two balls to swing and hit each other, making a "clacking" sound. They were also sometimes used as a form of exercise or for hand-eye coordination.

3. Are clackers safe for children to play with?

While clackers were marketed as a toy for children, they were actually quite dangerous. The hard plastic balls could easily break and fly off the string, causing injuries to the child or anyone nearby. As a result, many schools and playgrounds banned clackers.

4. Can adults play with clackers?

Clackers were originally marketed towards children, but many adults also enjoyed playing with them. In fact, there were even competitions and tournaments held for clacker enthusiasts. However, they can still be dangerous and should be used with caution.

5. Are clackers still available to buy?

While clackers were popular in the past, they are not as common now. They can still be found for sale through vintage or retro toy sellers, but they are not widely available. Due to their safety concerns, they are not produced by major toy companies anymore.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedpals
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
baychef
  • scottcooks