• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! My Chopper Gums Up Food - Any Ideas?

In summary, this customer's chopper was not doing well on food. She said she had tried everything and it always gums up the food. She was going to give her chopper to the host because she didn't like it.
SandiLeigh
I had a customer at my show, really shoot down the chopper. She said she had it and it doesn't work. She said it always "gums" up the food it in.

Actually I had two sold until she started going on about it. There was only 3 people at the show including the host.

Anyways, she said she hated it so much she was going to give hers to the host since she didn't like it.

Any ideas as to why hers is doing this, or what she might be doing wrong. I really want to help her love the chopper.

If it is meat, then it works better for me warm. If I get it out of the frig, I will put it in the microwave for a few minutes.

If it is an onion, I quarter mine first before I chop it.

Tomatos are always mushy, so, I do not do them.

Peppers I do them skin up to go through it better.

Did she say what it was that was messing up?

Also.. is she really smacking it or just pushing down on the plunger? It really makes a difference. I love getting a little aggression out with my food chopper and would NOT give it away for anything! LOL...

What kind of cutting board is she using? My original chopper is dull from years of use on a glass cutting board... I was younger and foolish then.

I asked her a few questions about it but she said that she tired everything in it and it all gums up. I am thinking maybe her blade is dull or she got a bad one or something.

I just love mine and I have never had anyone say so many bad things about it at a show.

That was the main thing my host wanted and she talked her right out of it. Saying it wasn't worth the money and that she should get a Mix n Masher instead.

I don't know what she was thinking?

If this person's chopper is less than 5 years old, help her get a new one.

I have had problems with mine as well. This is the second time I have had to have it replaced in a in six months. I find my blades keep bending out of shape. This time I was chopping white chocolate that was room temperature. I can see it happening if it had been cold and to hard but not the case. I even chopped the chocolate in the lid of the chopper for easier transfer to my recipe (call me lazy LOL) It's bent so bad the blade guard will not go over it without possibly cutting myself. Has anyone else been having this problem?

Fluffy215 said:
I Has anyone else been having this problem?
yep. my food chopper blade bent the first time I made the warm nutty caramel brownies. Chopping the chocolate bent the blade so it would not go together again properly.

I LOVE my chopper,but I don't think it does the best job on chocolate. For everything else, it is the best!!

I agree with Deb -- see if this lady's chopper is less than 5 yrs old & get her a new one. Maybe she just got a dud.

I have not had a problem with mine.

But my MIL broke her 2nd collar over the weekend and she has had it less than 2 years. And a friend has broken her collar twice too. Got to call for an adjustment.

Don't forget that we can order replacement parts for the food chopper too!

peichef said:
yep. my food chopper blade bent the first time I made the warm nutty caramel brownies. Chopping the chocolate bent the blade so it would not go together again properly.

I LOVE my chopper,but I don't think it does the best job on chocolate. For everything else, it is the best!!

I agree with Deb -- see if this lady's chopper is less than 5 yrs old & get her a new one. Maybe she just got a dud.
It doesn't work so well on frozen strawberries either :blushing:

Did you have her use one in front of you.I always make sure if someone complains about something I ask one main question. 1) What were you using it on. I never tell them they are wrong either. Then I ask if they would show me how they use it. I have so many times had to teach them the right way to use something that I could cry. They apparently either did not watch the demo at the show they purchased it from or they are one of those who know everything so they don't need to be shown how to use it. I had problems with a lady at show who would not come in the kitchen one night I used the can opener. But she complained constantly through out the party about how hers was worthless. So, with about three people in the kitchen I asked her if she tell me what kind of cans she was opening. She said she tried all sorts of cans and it would not open any of them. So I handed her mine and the can I had opened during the party, fipped it over and asked her to show me on mine what was wrong. She promptly grabbed it out of my hand, and said it won't work. I can prove it. She placed it in the right position and stated turning and nothing happened. I looked up at the host who was just trying not to laugh. Asked Doris to le tmne have ago. I took the opener from her. Placed it on the rim of the can and clamped down. Then I simply lifted up the can with the opener. I asked her if she made sure it clicked onto the can. She blushed and took it from me again. Slid it on the can and made sure it clamped down. She lifted the can with the opener and set it back down and turned. Then I told her how to get ht elid off and she did. She didn't say another word - I mean not one for the last 20 minutes she was there. I didn't want to make her feel stupid but she was the one who gripped all night so...

Oh, if I'm using the Can opener I ALWAYS ask if someone in the room is considering buying it today so they can come up and I can show them how to use it correctly.

replacements for the food chopperI have a ? about replacing parts for the food chopper.
Used to be a consultant a while back and recently started back up with a friend of mine.
Can't remember if customers can replace an item w/o receipt? Her food chopper is still under warranty, she bought it at a party 2 yrs. ago

I know you can buy replacement parts but I am unsure about replacing the whole thing without receipt.

cltrinity said:
I have a ? about replacing parts for the food chopper.
Used to be a consultant a while back and recently started back up with a friend of mine.
Can't remember if customers can replace an item w/o receipt? Her food chopper is still under warranty, she bought it at a party 2 yrs. ago

Call HO. They should be able to look it up since you know who the Consultant was (you!) :) If it comes up again in the future, and they didn't buy it from you, you can call HO with the Hostess's name, too, and they can try to look it up that way. FYI.

I also agree about having the chopper replaced to see if it is the blade...
For me, the only time mine "gunks up" is if I put too much food into it to chop, then it does get stuck. I LOVE my chopper, I have 2 and they are in constant use!

I just want to add that whenever someone says they don't like the chopper I ask them to SHOW ME how they chop with it. 100% of the time they are not chopping properly. I then have them do that part of the demo so they get practice. Every one of them has thanked me and reported back that they now love it!

PS: The other important question to ask is: "Is the one you have ours?"

I was going to start a new thread, but I'll hi-jack this one and see what happens. I have a customer who is complaining her chopper is "broken" (just bought it about 3 months ago). I got it from her and can kind of see her point. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it, but she says (and I played with it and it did it for me too) that the protector always falls off the blades, (yes the collar is on). I'm going to call HO for an adjustment, but was just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

The only way mine "gums up" is when I was new and didn't know better.
1. Too much food in there to begin with....OR
2. Not CHOPPING down hard enough to cut THROUGH the stuff.

GREAT IDEAS though, about asking them to demo to you how they use it...then you can SEE the problem most of the time, I am sure.

John- Funny story about the can opener!! I am sure she wanted to crawl under the couch once she saw SHE was the problem!! lol

The others have covered the main issues: overloading and timid chopping. When someone criticizes any product to the point that it looks like they're talking others out of it, here's my response:The great thing about The Pampered Chef is that there is no risk. If you try it and don't like it, you can return it. If you do that within the first 30 days after the products arrive at [the host's] house, PC will even pay for it to be shipped back.At that point, I turn to the person criticizing the product and ask how long they've had it. If it's still within the warranty period, I tell them I'll talk to them at checkout time about how to return the product.In my experience, this has kept people from backing out of purchases.

Recognize when someone is complaining, they are really showing that "they care" in an uncomfortable way. Ask them several pointed questions - when they generalize by saying the nebulous Everything I chop or Nothing works or All gummy, they are BS'ing. Don't call them on it, ask them?

I'm sorry to hear you were having trouble with it. What were you chopping? (she says Fresh Spinach) Did you remove the protective cover and chop on a cutting board or try chopping it with the cover on? - educates them that the cover comes off for anything other than nuts or choc chips...

Other pinning-down questions? Specifically what food did you attempt? How much did you put in? Did you use a cutting board? What do you mean by 'gums it up'?

Pin her down and she'll back off. If nothing else, she'll know she can't just blather and naysay all your products.

Finally, take the high road and keep out of the mud-slinging. One other way to handle it is to ask, "has anyone else had that problem?" (no one will reply and she'll shut up)

straitfan said:
I was going to start a new thread, but I'll hi-jack this one and see what happens. I have a customer who is complaining her chopper is "broken" (just bought it about 3 months ago). I got it from her and can kind of see her point. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it, but she says (and I played with it and it did it for me too) that the protector always falls off the blades, (yes the collar is on). I'm going to call HO for an adjustment, but was just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

By protector do you mean the rubber base or the plastic blade guard?

The rubber base is not meant to be tight. I have one that stays in place pretty well (especially when empty) but most do not. I had one person complain that it was defective when hers didn't stay on but now I tell them at the show that it is not meant as a seal just as a convenient cutting surface if they are doing a small job.

If it's the plastic blade guard I don't have an answer. The clear collar should keep that in place. I'd call HO on that.

1. Why does my chopper gum up food?

There are a few reasons why your chopper may be gumming up food. It could be due to dull blades, overfilling the chopper, or using the wrong type of food. It could also be caused by not cleaning the chopper properly after each use.

2. How do I prevent my chopper from gumming up food?

To prevent your chopper from gumming up food, make sure to use sharp blades and not overfill the chopper. Also, be sure to use the correct type of food for your chopper. It's also important to clean the chopper thoroughly after each use.

3. Can I still use my chopper if it's gumming up food?

If your chopper is gumming up food, it's best to stop using it until you can figure out the cause and fix it. Continuing to use a chopper that is gumming up food can result in unevenly chopped or mashed food and can be frustrating to use.

4. How do I clean my chopper to prevent it from gumming up food?

To clean your chopper and prevent it from gumming up food, disassemble the chopper and wash all parts with warm soapy water. Be sure to remove any food debris that may be stuck in the blades or other parts. Allow the chopper to fully dry before reassembling and storing.

5. What should I do if my chopper is still gumming up food after cleaning?

If your chopper is still gumming up food after cleaning, it may be time to replace the blades or purchase a new chopper. Over time, blades can become dull and need to be replaced for optimal performance. If the problem persists, contact Pampered Chef customer service for further assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• christina78
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • thehaleykitchen
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • christinaspc