• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Don't Use Cocotte or Stoneware to Make PoPampered Cheforn!

In summary, HO is saying not to do this and not to suggest this to customers. They are getting lots of calls about broken Cocottes.
babywings76
Gold Member
I saw some really cute posts on FB with great pictures and everything, showing how to make popcorn in the microwave with our Cocotte or the RCB or DCB. However, I just heard the other day on one of the FB groups that HO is saying not to do this and not to suggest this to customers. They are getting lots of returns for these due to people doing popcorn. So, if you've shared it on FB, you may want to post an update or just delete the post so your customers don't order things with that in mind and get upset later.

It's too bad...it was such a cute idea! I was just getting ready to try it! Good thing I heard the news in time. I hope HO sends out something about it in the next Newswire so everyone hears the scoop.

What happens if you use them to do popcorn?

Hmmm... Michael Reeves told us how to make popcorn in it on stage at leadership. Interesting...

I also saw posted in the team newsletter from Nancy Jo Ryan in regards to making popcorn in the cocotte.

HO said they are getting lots of calls about broken Cocottes. I'm guessing the high heat that is required to pop kernels is too much of a thermal shock for the stone/ceramic? I know it's a definite no-no for our Micro Cookers.

Here's a post someone shared on one of the FB groups: "Some RCB and DCB and some Cocettes have been cracking when making popcorn. One consultant was contacted by HO and told NOT to make popcorn in the bakers; they are not made for it. HO should push out something soon; consultants who call HO to replace their baker are the ones being contacted first."Here's another: Slight problem here folks... After the WONDERFUL popcorn made in this last night, I know have a crack in the RCB. Some of us are checking with test kitchens about this. I would HOLD OFF on posting to your parties/pages until we find out further. I am SO bummed!!

Last edited:
BethCooks4U said:
Hmmm... Michael Reeves told us how to make popcorn in it on stage at leadership. Interesting...
pchefjaneen said:
I also saw posted in the team newsletter from Nancy Jo Ryan in regards to making popcorn in the cocotte.
I know, that's why this is really important to get the word out. If you see people sharing this on FB, send them a private message. Better to be safe than sorry. Here's what Michael wrote on that FB group:
I've done it over and over without any cracks to anything. Make sure not to overcook and coat the bottom with oil the entire bottom. Off to a show now.... MichaelThen the girl who he was responding to said, "I didn't overcook it (only 3 1/2 min and had a lot of uncooked ones) but maybe I used too little oil. Or maybe my baker was flawed to start. I've only used it in micro before."Along these lines, someone else also shared this:Another thing to not make popcorn in is our executive cookware (or any of them with a glass lid). I did this a few times & then my cover shattered!*Here's another person: "I got a message today to TAKE THIS OFF of my fb parties. These pots are cracking...HO is staying don't use."

Last edited:
guess I'll stick with my brown paper bags which work just fine. Also, I don't need to use oil in brown paper bags

I'm sticking with my hot air popper.

I do popcorn the old-fashioned way on the stovetop in a stainless pot with a little oil. Yum!

This is probably going to be something similar to people who have sworn for years that they have used their stoneware on the grill with no problems. A few people won't have any problems with it but a majority will.

wadesgirl said:
This is probably going to be something similar to people who have sworn for years that they have used their stoneware on the grill with no problems. A few people won't have any problems with it but a majority will.

plus- not all grills are created equal. A "gas grill" over indirect heat, yes...probably no problem. A charcoal grill, or a gas grill with all the burners on, yes-big problem.

Any recall for that matter- most people have little problem with a product, but jsut a few do and it's enough to justify the recall because of the risk. In this case, if people continue to use it for something they are told not to, they will void their warranty. PC is probably honoring them for now because their own NEDs put out this info from leadership. I heard it also from the Michael Reeves video and then from Nancy Jo's newsletter. Glad I hadn't tried it.

But I have so much Cub Scout Popcorn- I don't make my own from kernels anymore. :p

I'll stick with my ready to put in the microwave bags thank you. I was considering getting a bag of kernels to try it with this product. So glad I kept forgetting to buy the popcorn. lol

We use a Whirley Pop popper on the stove and it makes the best homemade popcorn!

What is a whirley pop popper?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SU35/?tag=pfamazon01-20

wadesgirl said:
We use a Whirley Pop popper on the stove and it makes the best homemade popcorn!

NooraK said:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SU35/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I have been using a brown lunch bag in the microwave lately to make popcorn. It does well (love not having the chemicals from regular microwave popcorn) - but I get unpopped kernals.

I have seen those Whirley Pops in the past and thought about getting one - though I never knew what it was called!

So, thanks for providing the name and the link. I may just have to try this. :)

Great to know, Thanks!

We have a popcorn machine. It's awesome!

wadesgirl said:

They had these at Aldi's last week. I'll check and see if they still have them today.

chefjeanine said:
They had these at Aldi's last week. I'll check and see if they still have them today.

Just bought one at Aldi's yesterday---love it!

Amanda_RI said:
Just bought one at Aldi's yesterday---love it!

Yep, they are still there. $16.99 at my Aldi's.

1. Can I use my cocotte or stoneware to make popcorn?

No, it is not recommended to use cocotte or stoneware to make popcorn. These materials are not suitable for high heat and can crack or break under the intense heat of the stove or microwave.

2. Why is it not safe to make popcorn in cocotte or stoneware?

Cocotte and stoneware are made of clay and are not designed to withstand the high temperatures needed to make popcorn. Using them to make popcorn can cause them to crack or shatter, posing a safety hazard to you and your food.

3. Can I use my cocotte or stoneware to heat up pre-packaged popcorn?

No, it is not recommended to use cocotte or stoneware to heat up pre-packaged popcorn. The intense heat can cause the material to crack or break, damaging your cookware and potentially causing harm to you.

4. What is the best alternative to using cocotte or stoneware for making popcorn?

The best alternative for making popcorn is to use a popcorn maker or a heavy-bottomed saucepan with a lid. These materials are designed to withstand high heat and are safe for making popcorn.

5. Can I use my cocotte or stoneware to serve popcorn?

Yes, you can use cocotte or stoneware to serve popcorn as long as it has already been prepared and is not being heated. However, it is still recommended to use heat-resistant bowls or serving dishes for safety and to prevent any potential damage to your cookware.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• talkintrac
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
gailz2
  • emo812
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • KatieBeth