• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Does Your Kitchen Meet Health Codes?

In summary, according to the local news segment, if an Food/Restaurant inspector were to come into your HOME Kitchen, you would likely not pass the inspection. Some good tips that you may not have realized include (1) do not prep raw meats on the same counter you are working on the other parts of the meal and (2) cool leftovers quickly to reduce bacteria growth. If the inspector watched your husband cook, he would likely fail.
esavvymom
Staff member
There was an interesting local news segment on tonight about what would happen if a Food/Restaurant inspector were to come into your HOME Kitchen...what would you score?A couple of good tips that you may not have realized (a few I didn't).Does your kitchen meet health codes? :: WRAL.com

Without watching the segment (not exactly dial-up friendly), I'd have to say, "Probably not."

I fail the cooling and storage part. I use the side of my arm to turn the water off... don't know if that would count as a violation or not. Overall, I think I would do pretty well... I worked in food service in High School, and am naturally pretty germ-phobic.

I'm a really clean cook, but I've known some people who had to have kitchens certified. That's why I figure I wouldn't pass.

Yea, my kitchen wouldn't pass. I'm the type to rinse dishes as they're used/pile them by the sink and then only wash two or three times a week.
And if that guy watched my husband cook? Oh gosh he'd fail in an instant. Jon's terrible at remembering to clean the surface after beef/chicken/etc. It's become so much of a pain that instead of scolding him, now I just follow behind with a hot dishcloth. LOL

I didn't watch the segment, but I'd have to say, probably not. I'm a nurse, so I'm really good with handwashing & cross-contamination, but I tend to try stuff off of the stirring spoon (only if it's DH & I though!).

My husband is the food safety manager at a family mushroom farm. After he went through the training he pointed out all the things we needed to change. It's amazing where bacteria can grow. Ick!

Rae- the couple of things that surprised or I wasn't aware of were:(1) Do not prep raw meats on the same counter you are working on the other parts of the meal. While I don't have multiple counter space to keep it separate, I don't always wipe down (With Lysol wipes or something) between foods. I am VERY careful with poultry though after having a horrible bout of salmonella food poisoning, but this lady was using beef.(2) Cooling leftovers. He said most people just let it sit till its cool or put it in the fridge. You need to get the temp down as fast as possible. He recommended putting it in a container with a loose foil wrap (open on one side to let it "breathe"), then stick it in the freezer for I think 15-20 minutes. Then you can put a lid on it and stick it in the fridge to finish cooling. I'd have to watch again to find out what he said the temperature drop needed to be....but it was all to reduce bacteria growth, etc.The other things were when washing your hands, don't turn off the water with your hand- use a towel or something, so you aren't retouching the dirty germs. I don't always do that when I'm turning water off, but I know when I'm washing after handling meat, etc, I do use my arm to push the handle UP so I'm not touching it.Anyway...very interesting.

You know what? This is sincerely opinion related but -
If you're feeling good, it's fine. Do things the way you always do them! Unless you're always sick don't worry about it. Your immune system is used to what it's trained for. Don't change around your life because a restaurant inspector said so.

my farm is "redneck central" sooooo.... would we pass ?.... ummm ...no---lol !

1. What are the main health codes that a kitchen must meet?

The main health codes that a kitchen must meet include proper food storage, proper handling of food, clean and sanitized surfaces, proper temperature control, and personal hygiene practices.

2. How often do health codes need to be checked and updated?

Health codes should be checked and updated regularly, as they can change frequently. It is recommended to check and update your kitchen's health codes at least once a year.

3. Can I use household cleaning products to meet health code standards?

No, household cleaning products are not suitable for meeting health code standards in a kitchen. It is important to use commercial-grade cleaning products that are specifically designed for foodservice environments.

4. Is it necessary to have a separate area for washing and preparing raw meat?

Yes, it is necessary to have a separate area for washing and preparing raw meat in order to prevent cross-contamination. This area should be designated specifically for raw meat preparation and should be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized after use.

5. Are there any specific regulations for kitchen equipment and utensils?

Yes, there are specific regulations for kitchen equipment and utensils. These include ensuring that all equipment and utensils are properly cleaned and sanitized after use, and that they are in good working condition to prevent any potential hazards or contamination.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefetteDuJour
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • mike nike
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pcsharon1
Replies