1. Want to buy your holiday gifts AND support Chef Success seamlessly in the process? If you click a merchant link like amazon or ebay on Chef Success, Chef Success in turn receives 7% of that purchase. Click here for the merchant list. It's easy!

Does the mandoline slice cheese well??

Discussion in 'Products and Tips' started by sarahlegare, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a customer who is ordering the mandoline and wants to know if it slices cheese well. I'm sure it slices it, but is it easy/smooth to do? Anyone know? She's definately getting it, but isn't sure if she should get the cheese knife too??

2. bsaxman

bsaxman Silver Member

I dont really like using it for cheese, but that may just be a personal preference :D

3. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Gold Member

I'd get the cheese knife!

4. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Silver Member

Spray it with Pam and see how it works first!

I HATE using it for cheese.

5. chefann

chefann Gold Member

I don't think it's intended for cheeses, except for the grating blade.

6. I don't like it for cheese. It ends up getting stuck or something and you are trying to still sell it while it's tearing up the cheese! good times!

7. I don't like the mandoline for cheese either...including grating it....but that's my own personal issues I think!! If she's slicing, I'd definitely reccommend the cheese knife.

8. I agree with the cheese knife. I don't even like it for grating cheese. I love it for everything else though.

9. PamperedDor

PamperedDor Gold Member

Go for the cheese knife - I am not a big fan of the madoline to begin with - I love my forged cutlery instead -

10. We have a cheese knife or a DCG for cheese - use the grating blade for grating/shredding things like carrots, zucchini, cabbage, etc.

11. I tend to agree with most. If anything, use for grating and make sure that the cheese is cold, like 10 minutes in the freezer and it will grate nicely, other than that, deluxe grater and cheese knife.
    Cheers

12. I'm with ya there sister!

13. I love it for shredding cheese... and I have the best success with it when the cheese is room temp... no clumping and glides across very smoothly.

14. No cheese!! I hate using it for cheese, and slicing is definetly a pain!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.