• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Frost a Cake without Getting Cake Bits in the Frosting

In summary, the cake leveler is helpful in making an evenly-shaped cake, and it is important to use a turntable while frosting to avoid getting the cake bits in the frosting.
Jessamary
...to frost a cake without getting the cake bits in the frosting?
I bought a cake leveler at Wal-Mart (btw, PC totally needs one), and got my cake to not be dome-shaped anymore, so now I need to work on how to frost it without any crumbs.

Anyone have some insight to my crumby problem? :)

Oh Annabel!! Your expertise is needed.

Sorry, Jessica, I never learned that trick, either.

thin out some of the the icing so it's spreadable and put a layer of that on first. let it dry then ice it. Also, if you can freeze the cake, it won't crunb so much when you ice it either,

The cake has got to be moved out of the pan as soon as you can without breaking it so that the hotness of the cake makes a crust on the outside as the steam cools (I'm sure there's a scientific explanation) Also, it has to cool absolutely completely before you attempt to frost. That should be it :)

Put a thin layer on first ~ this is called a crumb coat. Let it firm up for a bit and then go back and put a thicker layer on. Use PC's large spreader, the offset blade makes it much easier. Scoop up some icing with the spreader roughly the same height up the blade as your cake is tall. Start at one spot and always spread in the same direction (I always go to the right)~ the icing should spread out in front of the spreader as you go. Continue to scoop up more icing as you need it. Your spreader should never touch the cake, only the icing. Don't worry about it looking pretty the first round. Once the cake is completly covered, then you can go back and smooth it out.

Hope this makes sense.
Lisa

lisaw said:
Put a thin layer on first ~ this is called a crumb coat. Let it firm up for a bit and then go back and put a thicker layer on. Use PC's large spreader, the offset blade makes it much easier. Scoop up some icing with the spreader roughly the same height up the blade as your cake is tall. Start at one spot and always spread in the same direction (I always go to the right)~ the icing should spread out in front of the spreader as you go. Continue to scoop up more icing as you need it. Your spreader should never touch the cake, only the icing. Don't worry about it looking pretty the first round. Once the cake is completly covered, then you can go back and smooth it out.

Hope this makes sense.
Lisa

What she said! :).

Plus, make sure the frosting is soft enough. If it is too firm, you will tear up the cake as you try to spread the frosting around. Not that I'd ever do that myself... :D

Thanks for the tips... Also a turntable to put the cake on while you are frosting so you can turn as you go. I saw Martha do this this morning on Today show. great tips...

I've heard of the crumb coat from professional bakers as basically pouring thinned icing on the cake, letting it set and once it's dried, start piling on the icing, like Linda said.
Haven't heard about taking it out of the pan asap.?.?

TrishPCMommy said:
I've heard of the crumb coat from professional bakers as basically pouring thinned icing on the cake, letting it set and once it's dried, start piling on the icing, like Linda said.
Haven't heard about taking it out of the pan asap.?.?

I generally let the cake cool 10 minutes in the pan, then an hour on the cooling rack.

All this talk of cake is making me hungry!

Does Anyone Know How to Clean a Stoneware Pan?

To clean a stoneware pan, you should first let it cool completely. Then, use a nylon scraper or brush to gently remove any food particles. Next, rinse the pan with warm water and use a small amount of dish soap if needed. Avoid using harsh chemicals or steel wool as they can damage the pan. Lastly, air dry the pan or dry it with a soft cloth.

Does Anyone Know How to Sharpen Knives?

To sharpen knives, you can use a honing steel or a knife sharpener. Hold the knife at a 20-degree angle and run it against the honing steel or through the sharpener a few times. Make sure to alternate sides and test the sharpness by slicing through a piece of paper. If your knives are severely dull, it may be best to take them to a professional for sharpening.

Does Anyone Know How to Use a Garlic Press?

To use a garlic press, peel the garlic clove and place it in the chamber of the press. Squeeze the handles together to press the garlic through the small holes, and continue until all the garlic is pressed. You can also use the flat side of a knife to scrape off any remaining garlic from the press. Rinse the press with warm water and dry thoroughly before storing.

Does Anyone Know How to Make Homemade Salad Dressing?

To make homemade salad dressing, you can mix together olive oil, vinegar, and your choice of herbs and spices. You can also add ingredients like mustard, honey, or lemon juice for added flavor. Use a whisk or shake in a jar to emulsify the ingredients. Adjust the ratios to your taste and store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.

Does Anyone Know How to Properly Season a Cast Iron Pan?

To season a cast iron pan, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Scrub the pan with warm water and mild soap, then rinse and dry it thoroughly. Next, use a paper towel to rub a thin layer of oil (such as vegetable or flaxseed oil) all over the pan. Place the pan upside down in the oven and bake for one hour. Let it cool in the oven before using. Repeat this process periodically to maintain a seasoned pan.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
millthayer
Replies
Views
c00p
  • ChefMary412
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefMary412