• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Lap Boards: Usage, Suitability, and Impact on Sales, Bookings, and Recruiting

I have a large Coach tote I carry my items in and it is placed in the tote.In summary, the conversation is about the use of lapboards or plastic 3-prong folders as a way to organize and display materials at direct sales shows. The speakers discuss the contents they put in their boards or folders, such as catalogs, order forms, and recruiting materials. Some prefer lapboards because they provide a hard surface for writing, while others opt for folders because they can hold more materials. Many find them useful for showcasing products and making an impact on guests. Some mention using a rolling bin or a tote to transport their materials. Overall, the speakers seem to have positive experiences with using lapboards or folders at their shows.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
If so...tell me wbout it.
Are they a pain to haul?
How many are generally in attendance at your shows?
What do you put in them?
Do you feel they make a difference in your sales, bokoings or recruiting?

I used to use them. Then, I got tired of packing them around. I was taking 10 in & then having 10 in the car. I put a catalog, order form & customer care card in them.

I've switched, though to using plastic 3-prong folders. People really like these. In the prongs, I put a guest letter, the current host & guest special, a flyer that says "So what does it take to host?" In the front pocket, I put the customer care card & wish list from the write-in receipts. In the back pocket I put the catalog. Taking 20 of these is like taking 10 of the lapboards.

I use them. I usually bring about 10 to a show unless the host thinks more then 10 will attend the show. On the back of the board I put the guest special flier for the month. On the front I put a catalog, order form, door prize slip for them to fill out and one of my business cards. During the show I explain to everyone the things I put with the board. I like them because a lot of show I've done there wasn't enough table room for the guests to us, so they had to write using the lap boards.

I don't mind carrying them in and out, because my husband always helps me pack the car, drives me to the show and helps me set up and brings everything back to the car after the show. :) He's a sweetie!

Donna

I use lapboards. I made them myself by cutting the spine out of a 3-ring binder, so it gives me two lapboards. I just cut off the front and the back and I use the kind that have the clearn sleeve on the front and back, so I slip a recruiting handout I use in there. Then there's the pocket on the other side and I put the catalog, an order form and a booking flyer in there. I like using them because the host and guests don't have to feel that everyone HAS to be seated at a table or counter. They have that as a hard surface to write on. I usually bring 15-17 and they fit in one of the "pockets" of the big, huge tote back that's part of the Show To Go set.

I made my own. I cut view 3-ring binders into 2 pieces. In the front cover I put a flier about how much you could spend (I'll attach). In the pocket I put an order form and recruit brochure & DPS. I have a PC logo sticker on front pocket & sticker that says "I love referrals" & one talking about gift certificates. (I hand catalogs out at the end.) I usually take about 12 with me. I found the folders were getting messed up either by spills or people writing on them. Plus this gives them a hard surface to write on.

Attachments

• TIPS - Guest vs Hostess Chart 2007 001.doc
    50 KB · Views: 435
I also use them and guests always comment on what a good idea it is.
I only put a cattie & order form in them and sometimes (if I have a ton laying around) a recipe card.
Usually I bring 10-12 unless the host is expecting more people (I have 24)
If i don't have enough to go around , oh well as long as I have the catalogs & order forms.
I tote them in my show to go tote in one of the side pockets they fit nicely in there. They are of course heavier than just a catalog alone, but IMO worth bringing.

In the clear back pocket I use the Show Benefits flyer from supply (#FN42), this way I only need to change it every six months when the 50% items change.(and they are cheap!) :)

I use them. Always get comments about how nice they are. Seems to make an impack with some folks.

They are heavier to take, yes, but I use a rolling bin from Staples for my paperwork and display extras like the flip chart, etc.

I put catalog, order form, a recipe card, info on stoneware, a booking flyer of some kind and a recruiting flyer of some kind.

I generally have 8-10 at a show and always take 15 with me. I have about 20 I can have prepped to go. If it seems like I might have a rare show with higher than 20 attendance, I have other folders that I have to use as extras.

I use them - and love them. I use a sheet I found on here in the back which talks about theme shows, bridal showers/registry and becoming a consultant.

In the front I put a catalog, order form, drawing slip, brochure on bridal registry and an opportunity brochure. I think I'm going to stop putting the bridal registry and opportunity brochure in them though because I have had people take them and I don't know who it is.

Everyone loves them. It helps me get organized and I like how it holds the pens. I take 12 w/me. I would like to get some more, but don't need more very often. The 12 I use fit in the front pouch of my tote (w/wheels).

Ok...but what can ya'll tell me about whether or not you feel using them has had an impact on your sales or bookings or recruiting?

I haven't seen a change in any of those thing related to the lapboards.

I have the homemade ones too... I can't speak to whether or not they've increased my sales (started using them around the same time I got "serious" about attendance and started mailing out the invites myself, so all the variables are confounded for me). But I do think it looks more professional, it is a little easier to hand out one lapboard rather than several passings of different papers, and if people are more comfortable when they are writing out their orders it only stands to reason that they will take more time and maybe add more things to their list.

I used them for almost 3 years, and just recently, stopped. They are heavy, and I honestly didn't see any difference in sales or bookings.....in fact, although I don't really think it's related, my bookings have been better since I stopped using them. And my kit is a whole lot lighter!:thumbup:

I now use Manila Folders - but consider them disposable. I have a label w/ my name & info on the file tab on the folder, and inside I put a catalog, order form, customer care card, and now I am also going to add the host benefits flyer to the folder. I tell guests that they can take anything in the folder, including the folder.....but if they aren't going to take it home, to just turn it back in to me when they check out.

When I was using the boards, I would have to refill them after each show - now with the folders, I make up a bunch of them at one time and just grab as many as I need for the next show.

I can't say it has increased my sales, but people do seem to appreciate it since everything stays in place and doesn't fall off their lap. Plus it's nice for writing on. The only thing is you have to count them and make sure you have them all when you leave. I guess if you used disposable folders you wouldn't have to worry about it. I won't stop using them.

I just started using them a couple of shows ago, so not sure if it will change anything or not, but it makes my job a lot easier. I lay them on the chairs before the show, so people just grab one when they come in.

In mine, I put a wish list, order form and guest care card. I don't hand out my catalogs until the end, that way I have their full attention. And, they have to write down the items they want which gives me a list to work from afterwards.

I usual take about 12 to a show. They fit perfectly in a canvas bag that I got at the Superstore. I can also fit my "props" for the show in there too.

I used to do the 2 pocket folders with the prongs in the middle. I would put the host and guest specials for two months in clear plastic protectors in the middle. I just switched to the lapboards for the last couple of shows and I can't say that I have gotten more orders by using them but I have saved money and time now that I am not making extra copies of the monthly specials. I also think they last longer than the folders.

ChefBeckyD said:
I used them for almost 3 years, and just recently, stopped. They are heavy, and I honestly didn't see any difference in sales or bookings.....in fact, although I don't really think it's related, my bookings have been better since I stopped using them. And my kit is a whole lot lighter!:thumbup:

I now use Manila Folders - but consider them disposable. I have a label w/ my name & info on the file tab on the folder, and inside I put a catalog, order form, customer care card, and now I am also going to add the host benefits flyer to the folder. I tell guests that they can take anything in the folder, including the folder.....but if they aren't going to take it home, to just turn it back in to me when they check out.

When I was using the boards, I would have to refill them after each show - now with the folders, I make up a bunch of them at one time and just grab as many as I need for the next show.

I have been doing the same thing, when I used THE OLD lap boards(cranberry with the chicken on the front) I felt stupid when I would have to ask for it back, where now I just say take everything & I think the women like to leave with the folder...but I honestly cant say for sure if it helped raised sales or not. Actually I think its the same I have always done!

I made lapboards and I really liked them but everyone is right they are really heavy. I went back to regular folders. Sometimes if I am lazy I just pass out the catalogs with order forms by themselves. I try not to be lazy but sometimes it happens.

Like Becky said, When I know I have a 1/2 hour or so to spare(sometimes just watching TV at night, I make up about 30 of them, this way I just grab a handful & off I go!!!;)

I don't necessarily think my lapboards impact my sales or bookings. They're nice for the guests to have something hard to write on if it's a big show and they're not at a table. I've had a bunch comment that they like this. I do like using something that "contains" things like the catalog, order form and a flyer and these are easier and last longer than folders. I used to do manilla folders and I encouraged them to keep them, but when my show schedule got much busier about 2 1/2 years ago, this got hard to keep up with and afford.

I do have to say that my recruiting leads have definitely increased this year, but I was using the lapboards before that. I don't think it's related to me putting a recruiting flyer in the clear sleeve....I'm hoping it's because of what I say and that I'm asking more people directly if they've ever thought about doing this. :blushing:

I also know that carting around the catalogs and order forms in my briefcase just by themselves causes them to get a little scrunched and messed up more quickly, so it's nice when they're in something stable like the lapboards.:)

pamperedbecky said:
I use lapboards. I made them myself by cutting the spine out of a 3-ring binder, so it gives me two lapboards. I just cut off the front and the back and I use the kind that have the clearn sleeve on the front and back, so I slip a recruiting handout I use in there. Then there's the pocket on the other side and I put the catalog, an order form and a booking flyer in there. I like using them because the host and guests don't have to feel that everyone HAS to be seated at a table or counter. They have that as a hard surface to write on. I usually bring 15-17 and they fit in one of the "pockets" of the big, huge tote back that's part of the Show To Go set.
:thumbup: :thumbup: ME TOO!!! LOVE THEM!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

dannyzmom said:
Ok...but what can ya'll tell me about whether or not you feel using them has had an impact on your sales or bookings or recruiting?

Hi Carolyn!

I go back and forth using them and not using them. They get very heavy and I really do not think they increase my sales.

Based on what you have shared with us, I do not think your business needs this kind of change. You get sales, bookings and recruit leads. It does not sound broke, so don't fix it!

Lisa

ChefLisa said:
Hi Carolyn!

I go back and forth using them and not using them. They get very heavy and I really do not think they increase my sales.

Based on what you have shared with us, I do not think your business needs this kind of change. You get sales, bookings and recruit leads. It does not sound broke, so don't fix it!

Lisa

Yeah lookit how I've been doing the last month or so...low sales, no bookings :p

I didn't take the time to read all of the posts, but I know what I carry to the shows is heavy enough the way it is now. Lap boards would be too heavy. So far I have always set up the show at the kitchen table so everyone can sit around the table. Lap boards are not needed.

I've decided after some thought, to go ahead and made lapboards. We'll see tonight if that works... it'll be a good test too because the gal who is hosting has tiny kitchen and folks will be sitting in the living room, a tiny living room... I lucked out... got smart maybe... looked in the right place and found 'bargain' presentation binders (they were 2 taped together so I got 3 pairs and made 12 boards)... at first I was looking at buying 1/2" Avery binders and what not but then I looked lower... and below the skinny binders (which wouldn't have worked anyway cuz the rings were attached to the back of the back board not to the spine)... but the bargain ones had the rings attached to the spine, had the clear fronts so I can put flyers in them and I think I may make a few slashes on the "inside" pockets to insert business cards. The lapboards aren't that heavy and we'll see if they help folks tonight. I ended up making 12 boards for a little over $1 each thanks to finding those 'bargain binders'...

Wanna share where you found them?

*slaps forehead*... Staples... it's the office supply store closest to where I live. They weren't obvious and at first I didn't understand how they were a bargain cuz they were like $4.98... whereas the 'normal' presentation binders were 2 single binders for $8.... then I realized I was getting 2 binders for the $4.98... AND the rings were placed right for me to cut off the fronts and backs.

Okay so I was VERY fortunate to have lap boards at my last show. I don't think I would have had any sales or if any, not many. My host lived in a tiny trailer... kitchen too small to demo in and no tables in the living room nor room to put any.... 5 ordering guests came and the lap boards worked PERFECTLY. Kept all their things together, helped them with a surface to write on and in the end, they could hand over the entire thing for me to help tally up and it just worked really well! I could see not needing them when you have a huge table to sit everyone at but when there's nothing but laps? Lap boards are my new must have! The neatest part is when I got back home, I just replenished each board so I knew each has a fresh order form and book and now they're ready to roll! No worrying about how many books I have with me, or order forms... unless I know there's more than 12 guests, I'm all set. :D

dannyzmom said:
Yeah lookit how I've been doing the last month or so...low sales, no bookings :p

Low sales? You're in the top 50 girl:cool:
I also use the manilla folders & always have. I've thought about the lap boards too; but the heavy issue has held me back!

lacychef said:
I also use the manilla folders & always have. I've thought about the lap boards too; but the heavy issue has held me back!

I used manila folders for several years, and then went to the lapboards......but I am back to manila folders........the weight issue got to me too - especially when I started doing 10-12 shows a month.......now I am always trying to lighten my load!

lacychef said:

I WAS in the top 50...not anymore - LOL

Are they a pain to haul?

It depends on the size and weight of the lap boards. Some lap boards are designed to be lightweight and easy to carry, while others may be larger and heavier. It is important to consider the weight and portability of the lap boards when selecting them for usage.

How many are generally in attendance at your shows?

This can vary greatly depending on the size and location of the event, as well as the popularity of the products or services being offered. It is important to have enough lap boards for at least half of the expected attendance, but it is always better to have extras on hand for unexpected visitors.

What do you put in them?

Lap boards can be used for a variety of purposes, such as displaying product information, collecting customer information, or providing a surface for writing orders. It is important to have a clear plan for what information or materials will be included in the lap boards to ensure they are effective in achieving their intended purpose.

Do you feel they make a difference in your sales, bookings or recruiting?

Many companies have reported that using lap boards at events has positively impacted their sales, bookings, and recruiting efforts. By providing a clear and organized way for customers to interact with the products or services, lap boards can make a significant difference in the success of an event. However, it is important to continually assess and update the information and materials included in the lap boards to keep them relevant and effective.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookingwithlove
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • ChefCat
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • Kristen