• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do You All Pay for the Ingredients or Do Your Hostess'?

In summary, Diane buys the ingredients and reimburses her hosts when the show is over. She prefers to have her hosts choose a recipe, and she likes to demo a new recipe while the old one is in the oven. Her shows usually start at 7, and she is usually done by 8:15-8:30.
klsnyder
Do you all pay for the ingredients or do your hostess'?

I have been doing it recently and mentioning to my host that it is my gift to her, and remind her of the $15 free prod. that she will still receive.

I give my hostesses the grocery list and have the buy the groceries.

What about for those make ahead parties or express parties?

I buy the ingredients because I prep it at home and then bring the things to the show and throw it together. But I don't let people know this....when I do a booth, I do a drawing for a "FREE COOKING SHOW". I tell them it's a special that I am running that the ingredients are on me for all the shows that are booked out of this fair(or event). It makes them feel good about booking and also that they still get $15 in free product.

that is a good idea!! I buy the ingredients mainly because I know that they will be there, and the correct proportions..and I usually measure them out at home and put in prep bowls so that they are ready to throw in at the show. That way I also can decide whether I want to chop nuts ahead of time, or let someone use the chopper at the show...etc.

I have the host buy the ingredents, i figure that's why they get the 15$ in product. I've not yet had any problems with what they purchase ~tiffany p

I personally by the ingreadence becasue I prep ahead of time, and I know what brand foods will work the best etc...

how much do you typically spend? How many recipes do you make?

I typically spend more than $15.00 dollars.... becasue I buy the expensive stuff....I make three recipies right now.. that I rotate... I try an add a new recipie every month but my family is the gennipigs first go around.

I spend about 15 probably...I bring one or two quick recipes and make something there.For everyone that does buy the ingredients themselves, will you claim the expense? I typically buy recipe items when I am grocery shopping for my house, so the receipt has a combination...and a lot of ingredients are typcial household items...how would you prove it if you were audited?

I do a little of both. Depending on who my host is and which recipe I'm using and how much I want to prep ahead of time.

I have the host reimburse me for the ingredients when we close the show. I buy them & bring them with me. I've never had anyone complain b/c I mention when I host coach that they get $15 in free products for it. I also give them a chance to get food for free with $200 in outside orders, or 2 bookings before the show, or $100 in oo & 1 booking.

I buy the ingredients and just highlight them on my receipts for tax purposes (you can also write off the mileage to the store then). As others have mentioned, I like to prep at home and have everything ready for the show.

Diane

I flip-flop on who purchases them. It depends on the recipe and the host (if they seem even the slightest bit flaky, I buy them). But a couple women in my cluster have the host reimburse them and have had great luck with that. They make sure to point out the $15 additional host credit, and mention it on the first coaching call, so it's not a surprise to the host.

I only do select recipes - For example, this month, the host can choose Garlic Parmesan bites w/ ranch & marinara sauces & Mom's Apple Crisp, or she can choose Hot Pizza dip w/ baguettes & Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake.
Then, I buy my ingredients in bulk - saves me alot of money, and I know that I have everything I need - I do most of my prep work at home, and one recipe is always complete and in the oven when guests arrive. My recipes are specifically chosen to highlight Stoneware, Cookware, and SA for serving. I pass around one recipe while I am doing my intro., and then quickly demo the next recipe, and while that is in the oven/micro., I go over the catalog & we do introductions and favorite products. My shows start at 7, and I am always done with the presentation and taking orders by 8:15 - 8:30.

Oh - I forgot to mention - I do have my host provide a few items......usually they provide the ice cream or cool whip to go with dessert, and a couple other ingredients - stuff I don't need to prep, and that they can't really screw up (like eggs for the cake etc....)

I used to have the host purchase the ingredients. After one too many "Sour cream? I thought it said cream cheese" mix-ups, I switched. (They had the ingredients in writing. I still don't know what went wrong.)

When I first started buying the ingredients myself, I had the host reimburse me $10. I let my host know about it from the start. It averaged out to pay for pretty much everything I bought, and I was sure I had the right ingredients.

Now I buy the ingredients and consider it a tax-deductible business expense. For me it's a good business strategy. Of course, I'm also making my recipe before I arrive, so it works for me.

Last edited:
Another plus buying my own stuff--when I need THAWED Cool Whip for a recipe, it's actually thawed. Ever try to pipe frozen cool whip onto a dish? Not fun.

I buy the ingredients and write them off. For me, because I keep kosher, it is the only way for me to be certain the food is acceptable.

tlennhoff said:
I buy the ingredients and write them off. For me, because I keep kosher, it is the only way for me to be certain the food is acceptable.
Tasha,
Just out of my own curiousity - and because I have wondered about this should I ever have a host who keeps kosher - do you have 2 of every tool? Like 2 choppers, 2 knives, two round stones etc...? My understanding is that dairy and meat products can't be cooked in the same containers or prepared with the same tools - is this correct?
Just wondering:)

A friend and I started TPC at the same time. So my kit is pareve (vegetables only) except for a few cranberry stoneware pieces that are meat and her kit is diary. You are correct that those of us that keep kosher need seperate meat and dairy cooking and serving utensils. It also means that any shows I do for people that do not keep kosher will get prepared food with a few vegetables to play with at the shows. I've really liked Rae's explanations of how she does her shows since it gives me hope that I can do pre-cooked shows.

Tasha,
Thanks for that explanation. I've got a few Jewish friends, but they don't keep kosher, and I always feel like a pest when I ask them about things. Luckily, I haven't needed to do a kosher show, although I did have one host who asked me for "kosher style," which I interpreted as basically kosher without the utensil requirements.

I do remember reading on one of the loops a couple of years ago that consultants with hosts who require kosher shows will frequently use the host's products, at least as many as possible. Obviously that won't work for a host who's completely new to PC, but it is an option for repeat hosts.

Thanks Tasha! You satisfied my curiousity - and now I won't sound like a complete idiot with potential hosts!;)

I buy the ingredients so that it's all there and ready to go. Never again will I be stuck with coffee grounds instead of instant coffee for the Tiramisu Brownie Squares!

In the Show Planner, I highlight $700 as our sales goal. In my first coaching call, I tell them that I will buy the ingredients and they can reimburse me BUT if they get to $700 in sales, then the ingredients are on me.

It's been working very well.

chefann said:
Tasha,
Thanks for that explanation. I've got a few Jewish friends, but they don't keep kosher, and I always feel like a pest when I ask them about things. Luckily, I haven't needed to do a kosher show, although I did have one host who asked me for "kosher style," which I interpreted as basically kosher without the utensil requirements.

I do remember reading on one of the loops a couple of years ago that consultants with hosts who require kosher shows will frequently use the host's products, at least as many as possible. Obviously that won't work for a host who's completely new to PC, but it is an option for repeat hosts.

Kosher style usually means no mixing of milk or meat and no pork or shelfish.

I'll be keeping the idea of using hosts equipment in mind for non-kosher hosts, thanks for the tip. :D

ChefBeckyD said:
Thanks Tasha! You satisfied my curiousity - and now I won't sound like a complete idiot with potential hosts!;)

No problem. In my other job I actually teach this stuff. :)

raebates said:
Another plus buying my own stuff--when I need THAWED Cool Whip for a recipe, it's actually thawed. Ever try to pipe frozen cool whip onto a dish? Not fun.

My last 2 parties had that problem! I told the hosts to get the Cool Whip with the rest of the ingredients, they brought it home and stuck it in the freezer! Frozen cool whip does NOT cooperate well when trying to force it out of the EAD. :eek:

DebbieJ said:
In the Show Planner, I highlight $700 as our sales goal. In my first coaching call, I tell them that I will buy the ingredients and they can reimburse me BUT if they get to $700 in sales, then the ingredients are on me.

It's been working very well.

Can you post or sent me a copy of your show planner? :D

The show planner is the one you purchase on a paperwork supply order form.

I didn't see anything on there about free ingredients if the show reaches $700. :confused:

jentapp said:
I didn't see anything on there about free ingredients if the show reaches $700. :confused:

I use a highlighter and highlight the $700 level on the show planner. I also give them a copy of this checklist AND, most importantly, I tell them during our first host coaching call about my recipe challenge--that I will cover the ingredients if their show is $700.

It's just something special that I offer, it's not part of any company program.

Attachments

• Steps to a Successful Show.doc
    29 KB · Views: 363
DebbieJ said:
I use a highlighter and highlight the $700 level on the show planner. I also give them a copy of this checklist AND, most importantly, I tell them during our first host coaching call about my recipe challenge--that I will cover the ingredients if their show is $700.

It's just something special that I offer, it's not part of any company program.

Deb - I love your checklist! Thanks for posting it. Do you mind if I 'borrow' it? :)

Crystal

I borrowed it from someone else and changed it to fit my needs, so go right ahead!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
DebPC
  • Katiek77
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Katiek77
  • Katiek77
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies