• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bringing Your Booth to Life: Thinking Outside the Box!

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's idea of doing a demo at a fundraising event for Relay for Life. They plan to make mango salsa using products like the MFP, Veggie Wedger, Mandoline, Coarse Grater, and others. They are worried about running out of food and spending too much money on produce. They also discuss the possibility of doing a similar event with apples in the past and donating the proceeds to charity. However, they are concerned about liability and safety issues. They also mention having insurance in case of accidents during hands-on cooking shows, but are unsure of what it covers. They ask for advice and suggestions on their idea.
babywings76
Gold Member
I'm thinking about doing something different for a booth I have on Saturday. A Relay for Life team is doing a fundraiser at a fire station. I'm considering bringing a bag of potatoes and enough ingredients to make 2 batches of Mango Salsa. The booth is from 8-2pm. I could even tell people that at certain times I'm doing a demo. Is that weird? I don't want to run out of food to do and don't want to spend a lot of $ on produce. KWIM?

I won't have it for samples, I'll put the food into a tupperware and take it home. The potatoes I'll probably just throw away because they'll go brown.

I'll have minimal extra things on display so I can have room to do the MFP, Veggie Wedger, Mandoline, Coarse Grater, and whatever else to make the Mango Salsa. I'll have the HWC flyers and Mother's Day Gift Sets Flyers there and just give out recipe cards and minis.

What do you think? Has anyone done an active demo at a booth before? I'm just thinking of trying something different and more interesting to the people who pass by. In the past, I've done more standard booths. I get interest and talk to people, but I feel so "salesman"like. I hate feeling like I'm pouncing on people. :D Thought this might bring people in and then I can chat with them. When I'm using products, it's more fun and might peak more people's interest.

But...what's the down side to doing this? Do you think it's okay to do this? If I'm not serving the food, but just showing the tools in motion? Is it bad to be using a knife? (maybe I could get by w/o one?)

We had a booth at a fair a few years back where our group would bring in bags of Granny Smith apples and the a/p/c/s. We charged people $1 to use the a/p/c/s, and then take the apple to eat. The money was donated to Second Harvest. You could do something along this line and donate instead to the ACS....I liked the idea of not having to throw away produce, too!!
Maybe you could do something with mangoes and the wedger, if you could find them cheap somewhere, and donate a portion, if not all of the $$, since they would cost alot more than apples, and charge $2 or $3...?
Sorry, I don't have any other ideas right now!!
Good luck with it! Please post what you end up doing!!

Just be careful that you're not using tools that people could get hurt on. I was going to do something similar at a fair a few years back and the people running it stopped me because if someone got cut on a peeler or slicer they were responsible.

Paula R. Lewis said:
We had a booth at a fair a few years back where our group would bring in bags of Granny Smith apples and the a/p/c/s. We charged people $1 to use the a/p/c/s, and then take the apple to eat. The money was donated to Second Harvest. You could do something along this line and donate instead to the ACS....I liked the idea of not having to throw away produce, too!!
Maybe you could do something with mangoes and the wedger, if you could find them cheap somewhere, and donate a portion, if not all of the $$, since they would cost alot more than apples, and charge $2 or $3...?
Sorry, I don't have any other ideas right now!!
Good luck with it! Please post what you end up doing!!

I don't feel comfortable with this idea. I don't want other people touching the tools, just watching me...due to liability issues. And I can't sell or serve food without a handler's permit, so just wasting the food or taking it home with me are the options I'm thinking I'd go with. But that's a really neat idea that you guys did! :)

Dawn4 said:
Just be careful that you're not using tools that people could get hurt on. I was going to do something similar at a fair a few years back and the people running it stopped me because if someone got cut on a peeler or slicer they were responsible.

Like I said above, I don't want others trying out the tools. Just me doing a demo. I'd have my daughter w/ me so she can do the MFP at times, if she wanted to, to show people that even a kid can do it. ;)

I thought we had insurance in case of accidents. What exactly does that cover? If we are doing hands on cooking shows, are we covered if someone gets cut?

My director and I are doing a huge Relay for Life booth, and we've decided to do small batches of the Apple Berry Salsa (using the MFP) throughout the event.

Yes, we do have insurance to cover us if we ruin something at a home or if someone gets hurt. But for a public setting, I just don't want to risk someone getting hurt or the organizers being nervous or annoyed w/ me. ;)

ChefBeckyD said:
My director and I are doing a huge Relay for Life booth, and we've decided to do small batches of the Apple Berry Salsa (using the MFP) throughout the event.

So how are you setting up your booth? How many tables and what type of layout? What other things will you display?

babywings76 said:
So how are you setting up your booth? How many tables and what type of layout? What other things will you display?

We have one 8 Ft. Table - it's at a Fairground, but in the buildings there. We are going very simple. We'll have all of the new products, with the DCB, and then a display for Help Whip Cancer in May. The Apple Berry Salsa is just to draw people to us...Lots of people but also a TON of vendors there.

I do demos at every booth I do. This is how I get people to hang out, ask questions, chat with eachother about how great our products are, etc. If there's a lag in attenance I go around and announce that I'll be doing a demo and if they'd like to learn a fool proof way to pick a fresh pineapple, then they'd better head over to my booth! With the potatoes you plan to take you can demo soooo many things and it's cheap for you AND it won't be tempting for anyone to want to take to eat! I'd say if you had ingredients to make a fruit salsa (apples, mangos, pineapple, strawberries, lime) then you could demo all the great wedges, etc and the mfp.

What is the purpose of the "Bringing Your Booth to Life: Thinking Outside the Box!" workshop?

The workshop is designed to help Pampered Chef consultants create eye-catching and engaging booth displays at trade shows, markets, and other events.

What will I learn at the workshop?

You will learn creative and practical tips for setting up an attractive booth, including ideas for incorporating unique product displays, signage, and interactive elements.

Do I need any prior experience or skills to attend?

No prior experience or skills are necessary. This workshop is suitable for all Pampered Chef consultants, regardless of their level of experience.

How long is the workshop?

The workshop typically lasts about 2 hours, including time for hands-on activities and Q&A.

Will I receive any materials or resources to help me after the workshop?

Yes, you will receive a digital copy of the workshop presentation, as well as a list of recommended resources and supplies for creating your booth display.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• yumyummum
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
yumyummum
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • PCLaurel