• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

One or the Other: What to Choose and Why

In summary, the RockCrock is a less expensive option than the $135 Dutch oven, but it is less versatile and takes longer to heat anything on the stovetop. It is easier to clean, but the lid is easier to break.
MaggieChef13
If you could only buy one which one would you buy and why?

I'd buy the rockcrok because it's lighter weight and easier to clean. As a result, it gets more use.

The $85 DCB is less expensive than the similarly-sized $135 Dutch oven, so it's got that going for it. Less versatile, too, as far as going on a stovetop. More versatile in fitting a 5-lb chicken in it, though, because of its oval shape.

I dislike cleaning the DCB, so tend not to use it as much as I would the rockcrok. Especially on weeknights. It may be a quick one-pot dinner, or quick chicken or pork loin, but you have to wait for the DCB to cool down until you start to clean it.

Don't know about you, but I always need to let my DCB soak a while with hot water in it. Or perhaps I'm just fussy, but either way, it seems like a lot more work to clean. DCB nights, I can't clean up after dinner in one shot and go relax - I have to return to the kitchen several times to deal with its cleanup.

The DCB lid is also easier to break because of its weight. Neither one has a replacement part for the lid, but I'm not so worried about breaking the rockcrok lid.

Although - the DCB is certainly prettier.:sing:

I dont have either yet but am considering getting one. I hate doing dishes lol... So I know there are a lot of recipes for the DCB like my director made easy fajitas and they were amazing. would it turn out the same quality?

You can adjust any DCB recipe for the Rockcrok & it would come out just as delicious.

Yes, I think you could use any DCB recipe as-is in the 4 qt Dutch oven. I don't think you would have to adjust anything.Possibly the only exception might be the 30-minute chicken, since whole chickens might be longer than 9 inches.

Personally I have always had trouble using the DCB - only because of the weight and it JUST fits in my microwave so it is tough to get in and out.

So, I was THRILLED about the RockCrock (plus I have always wanted a dutch oven). It is SO much lighter, easier to handle and easier to clean.

BUT, that being said...

I would make the mac and cheese recipe in the DCB quite often that DebPC posted (dry noodles, chicken broth, evap milk (instead of the half/half), shredded cheese):
http://www.chefsuccess.com/f7/mac-cheese-dcb-microwave-recipe-74951/

When I tried the same recipe I HAD been using in the DCB...it came out much drier in the RockCrock. The DCB must retain more moisture. So, no biggy, I just now increase the liquid...but I thought it was interesting and definitely something to consider when using a DCB recipe in the RockCrock.

I guess now I see the advantage to the DCB, but maybe not enough for me to struggle with it except for specific instances.

If you don't have a dutch oven and would like to use it for stovetop things, then the RockCrock is the way to go. I do LOVE mine.

Good to know, I'll keep an eye out for things being too dry in the rockcrok. I haven't done a ton of recipes in it, like I have in the DCB.
That DCB is heavy even when it's empty!
I also struggle getting it out of the microwave. Haha, the oven, too.

Well....I made the 10-minute pork tenderloin in the DCB again tonight. Hadn't had it in a while. Forgot how easy & tasty it is!
Just wondering, has anyone tried it in the rockcrok? I didn't use the rockcrok, because I was afraid of the dry spot thing.

If I remember correctly, the dry spot thing is for the stovetop. As for the original question, I believe the RockCrock is so very versatile, it would be my choice if I could only have one.

Thanks, rae. I haven't used my rockcrok on the stove yet for worry of the dry spot thing and blowing it up & wrecking it.
Yeah, I know that sounds silly, but there it is.

I have both the DCB and the 4qt rockcrok - and prefer the DCB a hundred times over the rockcrok. I think the price for the rockcrok is way too high as opposed to the DCB (I know it's comparable to similar ones on the market, but still...). The rockcrok takes a long time to heat anything (including boiling water) on the stove, so extra time has to be factored in to cooking time. My DCB is so seasoned, it cleans up really easily; by the time dinner is done, it's cool enough to clean. I had the cake recipe (with the marshmallows on top) in the rockcrok and it was so dry compared to doing a cake in the DCB. I rarely broil anything or put a pot on the grill. I'm not comfortable making a roux in it because of the possible dry spots. I use my 4qt heavy bottom pot way more than the rockcrok. I try to use it more, but for me it's just not a winner. The Micro Grips make taking the DCB out of the micro wave or oven way easier - and are perfect for removing the lid. I'm still a DCB gal!!

I too prefer that DCB. I have been trying to use the RockCrok more but I still reach for the DCB and my executive cookware. I have both RockCroks and I can't think of one time that I've used the smaller one...no wait! When I first got it I made the s'mores cake in it...I think.

I prefer the DCB. Mostly because I have it already, see it as more versatile for shows (how many shows have you done that were not in a kitchen?) and more useful in my home.The only reason I could see myself using it is if I were using multiple cooking methods. Again, not necessary .... and I like to make big portions when I cook so we can have leftovers.My old stove, which had a drawer broiler too small for either one, gave up the ghost. I'm buying a new one. Guess which kind of broiler this one has?

1. What is the main purpose of "One or the Other: What to Choose and Why"?

The main purpose of "One or the Other: What to Choose and Why" is to guide customers in making informed decisions about which Pampered Chef products to choose for their specific cooking and baking needs.

2. How does "One or the Other: What to Choose and Why" help with meal planning?

By providing detailed comparisons between similar Pampered Chef products, "One or the Other: What to Choose and Why" helps with meal planning by helping customers determine which product will work best for a particular recipe or cooking method.

3. Are the comparisons in "One or the Other: What to Choose and Why" based on personal opinions?

No, the comparisons in "One or the Other: What to Choose and Why" are based on objective criteria such as product features, functionality, and customer reviews.

4. Can I find information about all Pampered Chef products in "One or the Other: What to Choose and Why"?

No, "One or the Other: What to Choose and Why" only compares similar products and does not cover the entire Pampered Chef product line. However, it does provide a comprehensive overview of the most popular and frequently used products.

5. Is "One or the Other: What to Choose and Why" available in printed format?

No, "One or the Other: What to Choose and Why" is only available as a digital resource on the Pampered Chef website. However, customers can print out the information for their personal use if desired.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Malinda Klein
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • lkprescott
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
lkprescott
  • nikiknits