DCB Molten Lava Cake

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by wadesgirl, May 5, 2012.

1. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Gold Member

I made the peanut butter molten lava cake for the first time tonight and had a question. After cooking for 10 minutes, the edges (about 2" in from the sides) appeared done but the middle didn't. I put it back in for 2 minutes (directions said 10-12 minutes). It still didn't appear done so I did another 1 1/2 minutes followed by another minute. The very middle still didn't seem done but I was worried about overcooking it. I let it set for 10 minutes as directed and served it. The very edges were a little tough but the rest of the cake seemed fine. Just wanted to see what everybody else's experience has been.

2. Kristin Radunz

Kristin Radunz Gold Member

I usually cook mine for about 10 minutes and let it sit. It looks a little wet in the middle, but it always turns out.

3. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Gold Member

Another question - with the peanut butter, it seemed to just stay chunked up and sink into the cake. Maybe I should do smaller scoops?

4. Kristin Radunz

Kristin Radunz Gold Member

I use the medium scoop for both the frosting and peanut butter. You could try the smaller one - it might work better.

5. babywings76

babywings76 Gold Member

It could also be the brand of Peanut Butter you use. I noticed that some are dryer than others and stay pretty much in the same blob. I've had good luck with creamy Jif. I do my cake covered for 11 minutes and it's always just right. Take it out, remove lid and let it rest for 15 or so minutes. The frosting blends with the PB into a nice oozy goo on the bottom and I scoop some out with each section of cake I dish out.

6. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Gold Member

Thanks! We had skippy on hand. Maybe I'll try it again tomorrow (have a show next weekend) and leave the lid on this time. My husband won't mind more cake!