• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

The Perfect Lettuce Slicer: Finding the Right Tool for the Job

In summary, the best tool to slice lettuce is anything that is sharp, such as a Chef's knife. Lettuce turns brown when cut with a dull tool as it bruises the cells, so using a sharp tool is key. Other tools that can be used are the Crinkle Cutter, Ultimate Mandolin, Simple Slicer, Nylon Knife, and Slice and Serve. There is a misconception that cutting lettuce with metal causes browning, but this is not true. Browning is caused by the breakdown of cells, so ripping lettuce instead of cutting can prevent browning.
blessedrub
What is the best tool to slice lettuce, like when you make tacos etc.?

Anything that is sharp. I usually use a Chef's knife just because I like that size. Lettuce turns brown when you use something dull -- it's been crushed (bruised) more than it is being cut.

Cutting lettuce with a knife
chefjeanine said:
Anything that is sharp. I usually use a Chef's knife just because I like that size. Lettuce turns brown when you use something dull -- it's been crushed (bruised) more than it is being cut.

I understand you can cut it with a knife. But I thought we could do it with some other of our awesome tools.

The Crinkle Cutter does a great job! Cut through once and turn head around and cut through again.

It shreds well on the Ultimate Mandolin and the Simple Slicer. Just use small enough pieces to not cause and accident! And do not forget, the Nylon Knife and Slice and Serves work too! Tell everyone too that cutting lettuce with only nylon is a lie. As mentioned above, using a sharp knife is the key.

I have heard the salad chopper works great for this as well.

I have always heard that cutting lettuce w/metal was not good (unless you were using it soon) because it would turn brown. I have shared this with customers! Yikes! Is there a reference site that verifies that it is not the metal causing the brownness?

It is not the metal causing the brown. Browning of fruits and vegetables is caused by the breakdown of cells. When you cut lettuce, you are literally cutting through cell walls and rendering many of them damaged.
If you rip the lettuce instead, then you allow the cell wall to remain intact and therefore your lettuce will be crisper/less brown.

1. How do I use "The Perfect Lettuce Slicer"?

To use "The Perfect Lettuce Slicer", simply place a head of lettuce on the base, aligning the core with the blade. Then, press down firmly on the handle to slice the lettuce in one swift motion. Be sure to use a sharp knife and avoid using too much force, as this can damage the slicer.

2. Can "The Perfect Lettuce Slicer" be used for other vegetables?

While "The Perfect Lettuce Slicer" is specifically designed for slicing lettuce, it can also be used for other vegetables such as cabbage, onions, and even fruit like watermelon. Just make sure to adjust the pressure and speed of your cut according to the texture of the vegetable.

3. How do I clean "The Perfect Lettuce Slicer"?

Cleaning "The Perfect Lettuce Slicer" is a breeze! Simply disassemble the slicer by removing the blade and base, and wash each piece with warm soapy water. Be sure to dry the pieces thoroughly before reassembling and storing.

4. Does "The Perfect Lettuce Slicer" come with a warranty?

Yes, "The Perfect Lettuce Slicer" comes with a limited lifetime warranty. This means that if there are any defects in materials or workmanship, Pampered Chef will replace the product at no cost to you. Be sure to register your product online to activate the warranty.

5. Is "The Perfect Lettuce Slicer" dishwasher safe?

Yes, "The Perfect Lettuce Slicer" is dishwasher safe. However, we recommend hand washing for best results and to prolong the life of the product. The slicer is easy to clean and disassemble, making it a quick and effortless task.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cwinter474
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jrstephens
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • straitfan
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies